Problem with Net/HTTP

Peer Allan

5/24/2007 4:21:00 PM

Hi all,

I am running into a serious problem with a custom library I am building
in Ruby. Basically I am writing a Ruby interface to a custom web
service that we have here at our company. The problem I am running into
is that I am posting the XML document to the service and it is
responding, but net/http is telling me there is no body
(response.body.empty? => true). If I post to the service from a web
form or using PHP I get a response. This only seems to happen when
there is an error with the request, for example the request is missing
an postal code. The service returns an XML doc with the errors but
net/http won't let me see it. A 200 status code is returned and I can
not find no obvious difference between the headers of a successful and
failed request. I can't even find a way to see the raw response the
net/http received so I can check to see if it is just parsing it
incorrectly.

I am open to any suggestions at this point as this is a big problem if I
can't get this working. Thanks

Peer

Brian Candler

On Fri, May 25, 2007 at 01:21:04AM +0900, Peer Allan wrote:
> I am running into a serious problem with a custom library I am building
> in Ruby. Basically I am writing a Ruby interface to a custom web
> service that we have here at our company. The problem I am running into
> is that I am posting the XML document to the service and it is
> responding, but net/http is telling me there is no body
> (response.body.empty? => true).

Can you prove the response is there? The best way to do this is

tcpdump -i eth0 -n -s0 -A tcp port 80

and look at the raw IP packets being sent by Ruby, and the response coming
back.

If you are on Windoze, then a sniffer like wireshark will do the trick.

> I can't even find a way to see the raw response the
> net/http received so I can check to see if it is just parsing it
> incorrectly.

There are two possible cases: Ruby is sending the request differently to
PHP, or Ruby is parsing the response differently. Using tcpdump you should
be able to find out (and compare what PHP is sending with what Ruby is
sending)

HTH,

Brian.

Peer Allan

Thanks Brian,

That gave me somewhere to do, but I failed to mention that the web
service requires an SSL connection so everything in the dump is
encrypted. Nuts! Not sure what to do now. I may try to generate the
request on my own.

Thanks

Peer

Brian Candler wrote:
> On Fri, May 25, 2007 at 01:21:04AM +0900, Peer Allan wrote:
>> I am running into a serious problem with a custom library I am building
>> in Ruby. Basically I am writing a Ruby interface to a custom web
>> service that we have here at our company. The problem I am running into
>> is that I am posting the XML document to the service and it is
>> responding, but net/http is telling me there is no body
>> (response.body.empty? => true).
>
> Can you prove the response is there? The best way to do this is
>
> tcpdump -i eth0 -n -s0 -A tcp port 80
>
> and look at the raw IP packets being sent by Ruby, and the response
> coming
> back.
>
> If you are on Windoze, then a sniffer like wireshark will do the trick.
>
>> I can't even find a way to see the raw response the
>> net/http received so I can check to see if it is just parsing it
>> incorrectly.
>
> There are two possible cases: Ruby is sending the request differently to
> PHP, or Ruby is parsing the response differently. Using tcpdump you
> should
> be able to find out (and compare what PHP is sending with what Ruby is
> sending)
>
> HTH,
>
> Brian.

Brian Candler

On Fri, May 25, 2007 at 02:21:43AM +0900, Peer Allan wrote:
> That gave me somewhere to do, but I failed to mention that the web
> service requires an SSL connection so everything in the dump is
> encrypted. Nuts! Not sure what to do now. I may try to generate the
> request on my own.

Are you sure you used net/https and enabled ssl? This question seems to have
arisen several times in the last day or two.

Peer Allan

Unfortunately, I am sure. Most of the time there is no problem with the
request. Just the occasional error response is not showing a body.

However, after playing with cURL to get a good look at the whole request
I think I may have found the problem. The failing requests are
returning headers that look like this:

=start
HTTP/1.1 100 Continue

HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Date: Fri, 25 May 2007 11:11:28 GMT
Server: Apache
WWW-Authenticate: Basic realm="none"

=end

I think that the HTTP 100 response code is confusing the response
somehow. I can't find anyone else who has had to deal with this as it
isn't exactly a redirection. I will keep looking and let you know what
I find.

Thanks again for your help

Peer

On Fri, May 25, 2007 at 08:22:20PM +0900, Peer Allan wrote:
> However, after playing with cURL to get a good look at the whole request
> I think I may have found the problem. The failing requests are
> returning headers that look like this:
>
> =start
> HTTP/1.1 100 Continue
>
> HTTP/1.1 200 OK
> Date: Fri, 25 May 2007 11:11:28 GMT
> Server: Apache
> WWW-Authenticate: Basic realm="none"
>
> =end

See RFC 2616 section 8.2.3. The server will only send a 100 Continue if the
client has explicitly asked for it, and therefore the client should be able
to handle it.

Another approach you can do is to build a plain TCP to SSL proxy
(e.g. stunnel), and point your client at stunnel with plain HTTP. This will
allow you to tcpdump the plain connection.

Alternatively, start modifying net/http to show you the raw data sent and
received into openssl, or make an IO proxy object which does that.

Regards,

Brian.

Moslem cartoon character mohammed was a paedophile 6th century warlord and goat fucker who cooked up

Emily Fabian (aka Em, Millie, Jinan) can count herself lucky that her
family aren't mohammadans, or her life would be at risk of so called
honor killings because she divorced Leonardo Fabian - see pictures of
the newly divorced new apostate Emily Fabian, UNVEILED - ______ follow
the below link ......

http://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=0Ab8hlafT770nZGR6cHZqOThfMHhwY2szYmc0...

Moslem cartoon character mohammed was a paedophile 6th century warlord and goat fucker who cooked up

Moslem cartoon character mohammed was a _paedophile_ 6th century warlord
and goat fucker who cooked up a false religion in order to supplement
brutality as a means of bringing people (shitskin dunecoons) under
subjection - Yaako Warrior from AUZ., NZ..., Korea., Germany, RSA, USA.,
Sweden, Hong Kong, Canada, Russia, China, Denmark, UK, .........., the
slayer of fecal stained moslems Dr. Sir John Howard, AC, WSCMoF > wrote:

> Emily Fabian (aka Em, Millie, Jinan) can count herself lucky that her
> family aren't mohammadans, or her life would be at risk of so called
> honor killings because she divorced Leonardo Fabian - see pictures of
> the newly divorced new apostate Emily Fabian, UNVEILED - ______ follow
> the below link ......
>

> http://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=0Ab8hlafT770nZGR6cHZqOThfMHhwY2szYmc0...

�(�¿�)� �(�¿�)�moslem cartoon character mohammad and his bumchum allaah
were child molesting goat fuckers and nikomaks
이ì?¬ë??ì? ì?±ê¸°ë¥¼ 빨ì?? ë?¹ë??ê·? -
اÙ?إسÙ?اÙ? Ù?أخذ اÙ?Ø­Ù?ار اÙ?Ù?ضÙ?ب فÙ? اÙ?شرج â?¹(â?¢Â¿â?¢)â?º â?¹(â?¢Â¿â?¢)â?º

Up your ass mohammad - Elif air ab tizak!!!

http://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=0Ab8hlafT770nZGR6cHZqOThfMHhwY2szYmc0...

helpinggaza@gmail.com
fesack@wn.apc.org
kaled14232@gmail.com
nextsapresidents@gmail.com
info@muslimmatch.com or apache@muslimmatch.com or
politicsIranian@googlegroups.com
arah1958@gmail.com
mehyaawaaa@hotmail.com
islamwayoflife@googlegroups.com
furtivo4000@gmail.com
Thomas Santa - tsanta@med.usyd.edu.au

** Posted from http://www.te... **

moslem cartoon character mohammad and his bumchum allaah were child
molesting goat fuckers and nikomaks

_
/'_/)
,/_ /
/ /
/'_'/' '/'__'7,
/'/ / / /" /_ ('( ' /' ')
\ /
'\' _.7'
\ (
\

[...]

Wassim Noujeim = Faris Jawad

Jordan Data Communication Ltd.

�(�¿�)� �(�¿�)�
Skitskin moslem CA Fabian, 5 Pfeiffer Close, Mt Barker, 5251, South
Australia, +61 8 8391 1292

이ì?¬ë??ì? ì?±ê¸°ë¥¼ 빨ì?? ë?¹ë??ê·? -
اÙ?إسÙ?اÙ? Ù?أخذ اÙ?Ø­Ù?ار اÙ?Ù?ضÙ?ب فÙ? اÙ?شرج
�(�¿�)� �(�¿�)�

http://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=0Ab8hlafT770nZGR6cHZqOThfMHhwY2szYmc0...

Hamzeh Abu-Abed
helpinggaza@gmail.com
fesack@wn.apc.org
nextsapresidents@gmail.com
mehyaawaaa@hotmail.com
info@muslimmatch.com or apache@muslimmatch.com or
politicsIranian@googlegroups.com
arah1958@gmail.com
islamwayoflife@googlegroups.com
furtivo4000@gmail.com
Thomas Santa - tsanta@med.usyd.edu.au

Wassim Noujeim = Faris Jawad

** Posted from LINKdotNET -Jordan **
http://ww...
Cybertrust Australia Pty Ltd

Jordan Data Communication Ltd.

Sasha Cohen (Ali G) to moslem terrorist "Your King Osama looks like a
dirty wizard or a homeless Santa Claus." -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElTgT35fZWs&featu...

http://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=0Ab8hlafT770nZGR6cHZqOThfMHhwY2szYmc0...

اÙ?إسÙ?اÙ? Ù?أخذ اÙ?Ø­Ù?ار اÙ?Ù?ضÙ?ب فÙ? اÙ?شرج

Thomas Santa - tsanta@med.usyd.edu.au
mehyaawaaa@hotmail.com
kaled14232@gmail.com

Jordan Data Communication Ltd.

Emily Fabian (aka Em, Millie, Jinan) can count herself lucky that her
family aren't mohammadans, or her life would be at risk of so called
honor killings because she divorced Leonardo Fabian - see pictures of
the newly divorced new apostate Emily Fabian, UNVEILED - ______ follow
the below link ......

http://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=0Ab8hlafT770nZGR6cHZqOThfMHhwY2szYmc0...

Dr.SirJohnHoward,AC,WSCMoF<noujwas\

Aviroce wrote:
> THERE IS NO PALESTINE. PALESTINE NO. PALESTINE NO. PALESTINE
> NO. I WILL GO TO HELL.

Silly arselifter. Keep worshipping Hubal and you will go to hell.

--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_...
- KRudd at his finest.

"The Labour Party is corrupt beyond redemption!"
- Labour hasbeen Mark Latham in a moment of honest clarity.

"This is the recession we had to have!"
- Paul Keating explaining why he gave Australia another Labour recession.

"Silly old bugger!"
- Well known ACTU pisspot and sometime Labour prime minister Bob Hawke
responding to a pensioner who dared ask for more.

"By 1990, no child will live in poverty"
- Bob Hawke again, desperate to win another election.

"A billion trees ..."
- Borke, pissed as a newt again.

"Well may we say 'God save the Queen' because nothing will save the governor
general!"
- Egotistical shithead and pompous fuckwit E.G. Whitlam whining about his
appointee for Governor General John Kerr.

"SHUT THE FUCK UP YOU DUMB CUNT!"
- FlangesBum on learning the truth about Labour's economic capabilities.

"I don't care what you fuckers think!"
- KRudd the KRude at his finest again.

"We'll just change it all when we get in."
- Garrett the carrott

Dr.SirJohnHoward,AC,WSCMoF<noujwas\

Dr. Sir John Howard, AC, WSCMoF > wrote:
> Aviroce wrote:
>> THERE IS NO PALESTINE. PALESTINE NO. PALESTINE NO. PALESTINE
>> NO. I WILL GO TO HELL.
>
> Silly arselifter. Keep worshipping Hubal and you will go to hell.

BUMP

--
[...]

HOW TO BECOME A SHITSKIN MOSLEM - this is how: fuck goats, fuck your
mother (nikomak), molest children, wear a beekeepers outfit all the
time, never shower or bath, beat your wives, learn terrorist activities
at a maddrassa, wipe your ass with stones, sell the donkey you fucked to
a nearby village, marry a nine year-old , send your child off to an
indoctrination camp, practice thighing with little kids, Hijack a plane,
Hijack a ship, ............ Practice all those and you too could
become a prophet !!

이ì?¬ë??ì? ì?±ê¸°ë¥¼ 빨ì?? ë?¹ë??ê·? -
اÙ?إسÙ?اÙ? Ù?أخذ اÙ?Ø­Ù?ار اÙ?Ù?ضÙ?ب فÙ? اÙ?شرج

http://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=0Ab8hlafT770nZGR6cHZqOThfMHhwY2szYmc0...

Elif air ab tizak mohammad !!!!

helpinggaza@gmail.com
niyacn@msn.com
mehyaawaaa@hotmail.com
niyacn@hotmail.com
[...]

So , did she get her death wish? - clean shaven well hung US marine in
the after-life? - Re: BREAKING NEWS - Moslem female suicide bomber
kills 9 moslems in Iraq - The official said the woman, covered in a
traditional black garment known as an abaya, blew herself up near a
security checkpoint outside the courthouse. -
http://edition.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/meast/10/08/iraq.main/... -
Keep up the good work shitskin mohammadans - - اÙ?إسÙ?اÙ? تÙ?اÙ?إسÙ?اÙ? Ù?أخذ
اÙ?Ø­Ù?ار اÙ?Ù?ضÙ?ب فÙ? اÙ?شرج

http://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=0Ab8hlafT770nZGR6cHZqOThfMHhwY2szYmc0...

Thomas Santa - tsanta@med.usyd.edu.au
mehyaawaaa@hotmail.com
kaled14232@gmail.com

Jordan Data Communication Ltd.

�(�¿�)� �(�¿�)� Did you know? - bestiality is entrenched in the mozlim
cult - even the false profit mohammed had his harem of favourite goats

http://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=0Ab8hlafT770nZGR6cHZqOThfMHhwY2szYmc0...

اÙ?إسÙ?اÙ? Ù?أخذ اÙ?Ø­Ù?ار اÙ?Ù?ضÙ?ب فÙ? اÙ?Ø´

mehyaawaaa@hotmail.com
kaled14232@gmail.com