Two Installations of Ruby

highlyjhi

5/22/2007 5:14:00 PM

I'm running Mac OS 10.4.9 with Ruby 1.8.2 installed by default. I
updated to 1.8.6 but I installed it in /Users/jeremy/bin instead of
the default /usr/bin/ So when I go to "ruby -v" it still says 1.8.2.
How do i either move ruby into the correct directory or how do I
change the path to ruby to the new directory? I'd prefer to move
1.8.6 to a different spot outside of my home directory.

Thanks,
Jer

6 Answers

highlyjhi

Great! But when I close Terminal it's back to the default. How do I
keep this way?

On May 22, 2007, at 1:59 PM, Fred Phillips wrote:

> Type this into terminal:
> export PATH=/Users/jeremy/bin:$PATH
>
> On 22/05/07, highlyjhi <highlyjhi@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I'm running Mac OS 10.4.9 with Ruby 1.8.2 installed by default. I
>> updated to 1.8.6 but I installed it in /Users/jeremy/bin instead of
>> the default /usr/bin/ So when I go to "ruby -v" it still says 1.8.2.
>> How do i either move ruby into the correct directory or how do I
>> change the path to ruby to the new directory? I'd prefer to move
>> 1.8.6 to a different spot outside of my home directory.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Jer

Sebastian Hungerecker

Fred Phillips wrote:
> Ah right, forgot about that. edit your ~/bashrc file to read:
>
> PATH=PATH=/Users/jeremy/bin:$PATH

Two things: a) It'd have to be export PATH=/Users/jeremy/bin:$PATH
b) bash isn't the default shell on OSX, so he'd have to put it into the
~/.tcshrc or whatever shell he's using.

HTH,
Sebastian
--
Ist so, weil ist so
Bleibt so, weil war so

Gregory Brown

On 5/22/07, Sebastian Hungerecker <sepp2k@googlemail.com> wrote:

> b) bash isn't the default shell on OSX, so he'd have to put it into the
> ~/.tcshrc or whatever shell he's using.

Um... Maybe in 10.1 or 10.2, but it's been default 10.3 on up, IIRC

Sebastian Hungerecker

Gregory Brown wrote:
> On 5/22/07, Sebastian Hungerecker <sepp2k@googlemail.com> wrote:

> > b) bash isn't the default shell on OSX, so he'd have to put it into the
> > ~/.tcshrc or whatever shell he's using.
>
> Um... Maybe in 10.1 or 10.2, but it's been default 10.3 on up, IIRC

Oh, my knowledge must be out of date then. Sorry for spreading misinformation.

--
Ist so, weil ist so
Bleibt so, weil war so

highlyjhi

Is it possible to install the new version of Ruby over the old on OS X?

Tim Hunter

highlyjhi wrote:
> Is it possible to install the new version of Ruby over the old on OS X?

Yes, but you probably don't want to.

If you let the ./configure script use the default --prefix, Ruby will
get installed in /usr/local. Then all you have to do is add /usr/local
to your PATH in your ~/.profile file in front of the default PATH, like
this:

export PATH=/usr/local:$PATH

You can read about PATH and .profile by entering

man bash

in a Terminal window, or just Google it.

--
RMagick [http://rmagick.rub...]
RMagick Installation FAQ [http://rmagick.rub.../install-faq.html]