Re: putty on Ruby and how to hide password

Yohanes Santoso

5/21/2007 6:55:00 PM

"Victor Reyes" <victor.reyes@gmail.com> writes:

> Team,

> Is there a way in which I can write the batch file in Ruby and hide or
> somehow encrypt the password, so even if someone edits the file the password
> can't be understood?

Don't store password on file. If a program can decrypt it, someone can
decrypt it. Put the password in your head, don't write it down.

Do yourself a favour by creating authenticating using either RSA or
DSA. Read: http://the.earth.li/~sgtatham/putty/0.60/htmldoc/Chapter8.html#pubke...

After you have put the public key on the remote servers, you can use
the following batch file in your desktop to prompt you for password
for the private key:

start "" "pageant.exe" "my_key.ppk"

Put that under your start-up folder so you'll be prompted for the
password to unlock your private key at the beginning of your desktop
session. The password should come from your memory as you only need to
remember one password.

After pageant starts, you can connect to all 120 servers without
further password prompting.

YS.