Hash#shift

Harry Kakueki

I was reading this http://www.rubycentral.com/book/ref_c_hash.html#...

and I wondered how this could be useful. I must be missing something.

I tried this

ahash = {"a" => "apple","b"=> "boat","c" =>"car", "dog" => "zebra",
"elephant" => "yak"}
p ahash #=>{"a" => "apple","b"=> "boat","c" =>"car","elephant" =>
"yak", "dog" => "zebra"}
p ahash.shift #=>["a", "apple"]
p ahash.shift #=>["b", "boat"]
p ahash.shift #=>["c", "car"]
p ahash.shift #=>["elephant", "yak"]
p ahash.shift #=>["dog", "zebra"]

Since the order of a hash is not guaranteed, you do not know what you
are shifting at any given time. Is this right?
If you just wanted to shift everything you could use Hash#each.

What am I missing?

Harry

--

A Look into Japanese Ruby List in English
http://www.ka...

2 Answers

Robert Klemme

On 14.05.2007 14:59, Harry Kakueki wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I was reading this
> http://www.rubycentral.com/book/ref_c_hash.html#...
>
> and I wondered how this could be useful. I must be missing something.
>
> I tried this
>
> ahash = {"a" => "apple","b"=> "boat","c" =>"car", "dog" => "zebra",
> "elephant" => "yak"}
> p ahash #=>{"a" => "apple","b"=> "boat","c" =>"car","elephant" =>
> "yak", "dog" => "zebra"}
> p ahash.shift #=>["a", "apple"]
> p ahash.shift #=>["b", "boat"]
> p ahash.shift #=>["c", "car"]
> p ahash.shift #=>["elephant", "yak"]
> p ahash.shift #=>["dog", "zebra"]
>
> Since the order of a hash is not guaranteed, you do not know what you
> are shifting at any given time. Is this right?
> If you just wanted to shift everything you could use Hash#each.
>
> What am I missing?

I never had use for this myself but it might be useful in cases where
you want to iterate through a (possibly temporary) Hash and make sure
that elements that you have processed are removed. Like

>> h={:foo=>1, :bar=>2, :baz=>3}
=> {:baz=>3, :foo=>1, :bar=>2}
>> until h.empty?
>> k, v = h.shift
>> puts "processing: #{k} - #{v}"
>> end
processing: baz - 3
processing: foo - 1
processing: bar - 2
=> nil
=> {}

If you now leave the loop early (for whatever reasons, "return" or
raise) you only leave elements that still have to be processed in the Hash.

Kind regards

robert

Harry Kakueki

On 5/14/07, Robert Klemme <shortcutter@googlemail.com> wrote:
> I never had use for this myself but it might be useful in cases where
> you want to iterate through a (possibly temporary) Hash and make sure
> that elements that you have processed are removed. Like
>
> >> h={:foo=>1, :bar=>2, :baz=>3}
> => {:baz=>3, :foo=>1, :bar=>2}
> >> until h.empty?
> >> k, v = h.shift
> >> puts "processing: #{k} - #{v}"
> >> end
> processing: baz - 3
> processing: foo - 1
> processing: bar - 2
> => nil
> => {}
>
> If you now leave the loop early (for whatever reasons, "return" or
> raise) you only leave elements that still have to be processed in the Hash.
>
> Kind regards
>
> robert

OK.
You would be shifting in a somewhat random order but you would be able
to keep track of what had not yet been shifted.

Thanks for that example.

Harry