Re: Distributed Computing in Ruby

Marcin Raczkowski

5/13/2007 10:05:00 AM

On Sunday 13 May 2007 05:01, Phy Prabab wrote:
> Well, being that I am in the same boat both as a noobie and someone wanting
> parallel processing, look at RINDA (think linda but for Ruby e.g. black
> board and tuple space or if you are a Java fan, think java spaces) and drb.
> It is exceptionally easy to use.
>
> Best of Luck!
> Phy

DRb - Distributed Ruby
i think that answers your question, read pickaxe, read documentation on DRb -
there're links to tutorials - especially segment7 - they are hard to
understand but ... well they are :D

have phun

--
Marcin Raczkowski
---

4 Answers

Brian Candler

On Sun, May 13, 2007 at 07:05:29PM +0900, Marcin Raczkowski wrote:
> DRb - Distributed Ruby
> i think that answers your question, read pickaxe, read documentation on DRb -
> there're links to tutorials - especially segment7 - they are hard to
> understand but ... well they are :D

There's also http://wiki.rubygarden.org/Ruby/page/show/D...

But DRb by itself is just remote procedure calls. A full distributed
computing environment may expect more than that (hence Rinda)

Marcin Raczkowski

On Sunday 13 May 2007 12:54, Brian Candler wrote:
> On Sun, May 13, 2007 at 07:05:29PM +0900, Marcin Raczkowski wrote:
> > DRb - Distributed Ruby
> > i think that answers your question, read pickaxe, read documentation on
> > DRb - there're links to tutorials - especially segment7 - they are hard
> > to understand but ... well they are :D
>
> There's also http://wiki.rubygarden.org/Ruby/page/show/D...
>
> But DRb by itself is just remote procedure calls. A full distributed
> computing environment may expect more than that (hence Rinda)

RINDA is preatty much just one class that lets you find other DRb services.

--
Marcin Raczkowski
---
Friends teach what you should know
Enemies Teach what you have to know

Chris Carter

On 5/13/07, Marcin Raczkowski <swistak@mailx.expro.pl> wrote:
> On Sunday 13 May 2007 12:54, Brian Candler wrote:
> > On Sun, May 13, 2007 at 07:05:29PM +0900, Marcin Raczkowski wrote:
> > > DRb - Distributed Ruby
> > > i think that answers your question, read pickaxe, read documentation on
> > > DRb - there're links to tutorials - especially segment7 - they are hard
> > > to understand but ... well they are :D
> >
> > There's also http://wiki.rubygarden.org/Ruby/page/show/D...
> >
> > But DRb by itself is just remote procedure calls. A full distributed
> > computing environment may expect more than that (hence Rinda)
>
> RINDA is preatty much just one class that lets you find other DRb services.
>
> --
> Marcin Raczkowski
> ---
> Friends teach what you should know
> Enemies Teach what you have to know

Rinda also gives you a nice tuplespace class! Don't underestimate a tuplespace

--
Chris Carter
concentrationstudios.com

Brian Candler

On Mon, May 14, 2007 at 04:51:38AM +0900, Marcin Raczkowski wrote:
> On Sunday 13 May 2007 12:54, Brian Candler wrote:
> > On Sun, May 13, 2007 at 07:05:29PM +0900, Marcin Raczkowski wrote:
> > > DRb - Distributed Ruby
> > > i think that answers your question, read pickaxe, read documentation on
> > > DRb - there're links to tutorials - especially segment7 - they are hard
> > > to understand but ... well they are :D
> >
> > There's also http://wiki.rubygarden.org/Ruby/page/show/D...
> >
> > But DRb by itself is just remote procedure calls. A full distributed
> > computing environment may expect more than that (hence Rinda)
>
> RINDA is preatty much just one class that lets you find other DRb services.

I don't believe that's true (you may be thinking of a ring server). Rinda is
a Ruby implementation of Linda, aka Tuplespace in Java, which has defined
semantics for inserting and removing messages into a shared space.

http://www.lindaspaces.com/book/...