Re: EXIF Library-RAW support

12 34

5/12/2007 6:20:00 PM

Remco van 't Veer wrote:
> Please try EXIFR, http://rubyforge.org/proj...
>
> gem install exifr
>
> It's a pure ruby EXIF reader so it works on both windows and linux.
> Please file a bug in the tracker at rubyforge if GPSInfo is not read
> properly/ at all and send me some examples (including the expected
> results) since I don't have any files containing GPSInfo.
>
> Thanks,
> Remco

Can this be expanded to support RAW images? Specifically MRW
(Konica-Minolta)?

If how would I get into the OS X hooks for handling this? Maybe this
isn't a Ruby question and I'll have to go elsewhere. I'm a Newbie to
Ruby (groan), but OS X supports many RAW formats.

I have Appscript, so assume that's the path, but was hoping to avoid
that for awhile.

Thanks for any clues.

Guest

12 34 wrote:
> Can this be expanded to support RAW images? Specifically MRW
> (Konica-Minolta)?
Maybe you can use MiniExiftool (http://miniexiftool.ruby...) wich
can handle (read and write) meta-data of many file formats inclusive
raw-formats such as MRW. :)

regards
Jan

Remco van 't Veer

I will not implement any vendor specific decoding in the near future.

12 34 wrote:
> Remco van 't Veer wrote:
>> Please try EXIFR, http://rubyforge.org/proj...
>
> Can this be expanded to support RAW images? Specifically MRW
> (Konica-Minolta)?

12 34

Jan Friedrich wrote:
> 12 34 wrote:
>> Can this be expanded to support RAW images? Specifically MRW
>> (Konica-Minolta)?
> Maybe you can use MiniExiftool (http://miniexiftool.ruby...) wich
> can handle (read and write) meta-data of many file formats inclusive
> raw-formats such as MRW. :)
>
> regards
> Jan

Fantastic. This is what I wanted. I just got back to trying to write my
script after reading a couple of the books. When I got to the EXIF part
I found ExifTool and despair that nothing was available that would
handle MRW using Ruby, until I revisited MiniExifTool. I think in part
the name threw me. This tool is in no way mini.

I'm also finding Ruby easier to write than AppleScript. I could rarely
get anything to work without help. But Ruby syntax is easier to deal
with.

Guest

12 34 wrote:
> Fantastic. This is what I wanted.
Nice to hear. :)

> I think in part the name threw me. This tool is in no way mini.
I've updated the project description. The "mini" has nothing to do with
the functionality only with the concept of writing only a wrapper to a
command-line application which is a lightweight approach that brings
maximal functionality with *mini*mal work. :)

Regards
Jan

12 34

Jan Friedrich wrote:
> 12 34 wrote:
>> Fantastic. This is what I wanted.
> Nice to hear. :)
>
>> I think in part the name threw me. This tool is in no way mini.
maximal functionality with *mini*mal work. :)

> Regards
> Jan

Now you've got it.

PS. While you're updating, the Perl program is authored by "Phil
Harvey." Minor typo.

Guest

12 34 wrote:
> PS. While you're updating, the Perl program is authored by "Phil
> Harvey." Minor typo.
Thanks for the hint. Typos (it was also in the Documentation) fixed.

Regards
Jan