ANN: Swiftiply 0.5.0

khaines

Rick DeNatale

On 5/12/07, khaines@enigo.com <khaines@enigo.com> wrote:
> I'd like to announce the first public release of Swiftcore Swiftiply, a
> clustering proxy for web applications written in Ruby.

This looks promising, but I don't seem to see a way to use
mongrel_cluster instead of just plain mongrel[_rails]

Currently I use pen in front of a mongrel cluster. I'd love to see an
easy way to host multiple back-end clusters for multiple apps under
different virtual hosts or root url's.

This looks like it nicely handles the multiple apps case but, unless I
miss it, not multiple instances per app.

--
Rick DeNatale

My blog on Ruby
http://talklikeaduck.denh...

khaines

Rick DeNatale

On 5/12/07, khaines@enigo.com <khaines@enigo.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 12 May 2007, Rick DeNatale wrote:
>
> > This looks like it nicely handles the multiple apps case but, unless I
> > miss it, not multiple instances per app.
>
> By multiple instances per app, I assume that you mean multiple backend
> processes, right?
>
> That's the whole point. They all connect to the SAME address/port,
> because the instances are clients of swiftiply instead of being standalone
> servers.
>
> So, for example, if you have the following config section:
>
> map:
> - incoming: planner.walrusinc.com
> outgoing: frontend.walrusinc.com:11111
> - incoming: blog.walrusinc.com
> outgoing: frontend.walrusinc.com:11112
>
> Then Swiftiply proxies requests for planner.walrusinc.com to the backends
> connected to frontend.walrusinc.com:11111, and blog.walrusinc.com to the
> backends connected to frontend.walrusinc.com:11112.
>
> Because the backends are clients of Swiftiply, you have have however many
> of them that you need all connected to the same point. So
> blog.walrusinc.com is running with 2 backends, but walrusinc's thoughts
> become popular, so they spin up a second machine with a couple more
> backends on it. All of the backends connect to
> frontend.walrusinc.com:11112.
>
> swiftiply_mongrel_rails will start N mongrel_rails processes, all on the
> same address/port, with a pid file for each (since the default pid file is
> named by port with mongrel_rails, that won't work when all of the
> processes are connected to the same port).

Okay, I missed that, so swiftipy_mongrel_rails is really a substitute
for mongrel_cluster.

I guess that you can also put this behind say Apache by setting the
cluster_port to something other than 80 and using mod_proxy.

> However, I am sure that better integration with mongrel_cluster is needed.
> More complete support for all Ruby frameworks is my primary goal for the
> next release.

I guess that one concern is tracking changes to the base mongrel.

Another would be how this interacts with deployment tools like
Capistrano and Deprec.

--
Rick DeNatale

My blog on Ruby