seebs

5/11/2007 4:20:00 AM

In message <5C15F18F-CE04-4C9E-928C-3A7C1E36DE92@gmail.com>, John Joyce writes:
>Does ri know the path to your docs ?

It seems to.

>This is the same location as my system's man pages.

Mine too.

>You may have to add docs to ri yourself. (it seems...)
>you need to run rdoc

>Ruby's standard library and built in classes and modules:

>rdoc --ri-system

>(need to be in the Ruby source code directory, probably: /lib
> maybe /lib/ruby )=

I can't find a directory in which this doesn't say "No newer files".

More disturbingly, if I go into the source/lib directory and run, e.g.,
"rdoc cgi.rb", I can't figure out where the created file is GOING. Not,
in any event, into the system ri directory, or anywhere that 'ri CGI'
can find it.

Ahh! Going into the build directory and running 'make install-doc'
has fixed it. I'll send a bug report to the NetBSD package maintainer
that this ought to be at least an option for the package, and probably
the default.

-s

1 Answer

John Joyce

On May 11, 2007, at 1:20 PM, Peter Seebach wrote:

> In message <5C15F18F-CE04-4C9E-928C-3A7C1E36DE92@gmail.com>, John
> Joyce writes:
>> Does ri know the path to your docs ?
>
> It seems to.
>
>> This is the same location as my system's man pages.
>
> Mine too.
>
>> You may have to add docs to ri yourself. (it seems...)
>> you need to run rdoc
>
>> Ruby's standard library and built in classes and modules:
>
>> rdoc --ri-system
>
>> (need to be in the Ruby source code directory, probably: /lib
>> maybe /lib/ruby )=
>
> I can't find a directory in which this doesn't say "No newer files".
>
> More disturbingly, if I go into the source/lib directory and run,
> e.g.,
> "rdoc cgi.rb", I can't figure out where the created file is GOING.
> Not,
> in any event, into the system ri directory, or anywhere that 'ri CGI'
> can find it.
>
> Ahh! Going into the build directory and running 'make install-doc'
> has fixed it. I'll send a bug report to the NetBSD package maintainer
> that this ought to be at least an option for the package, and probably
> the default.
>
> -s

Sometimes packages are unreliable. It's a pain, but manual installs
get you the details (no choice but details!). Especially since many
systems are so similar yet different.