Re: how to remove dups from 2 lists?

Harry Kakueki

5/11/2007 3:52:00 AM

On 5/11/07, Mike Steiner <mikejaysteiner@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm trying to write some code that removes all elements from 2 lists that
> are in both lists. However, I don't want any duplicates from each list
> deleted also (which is what the array "-" operator does). The code I have

If I understand correctly, I think this does what you want.

arr1 = %w[a a a b b b c d d e e]
arr2 = %w[a b b b c c c d d d d d e a b]

str1 = arr1.to_s
str2 = arr2.to_s

(arr1 & arr2).each do |x|
str1.sub!(x,"")
str2.sub!(x,"")
end

p str1.split(//).to_a
p str2.split(//).to_a

Harry

--
http://www.kakueki.com/ruby...
A Look into Japanese Ruby List in English

1 Answer

Harry Kakueki

On 5/11/07, Harry Kakueki <list.push@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 5/11/07, Mike Steiner <mikejaysteiner@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I'm trying to write some code that removes all elements from 2 lists that
> > are in both lists. However, I don't want any duplicates from each list
> > deleted also (which is what the array "-" operator does). The code I have
>
> If I understand correctly, I think this does what you want.

Oops! Correction.

arr1 = %w[a a a b b b c d d e e]
arr2 = %w[a b b b c c c d d d d d e a b]

str1 = arr1.to_s
str2 = arr2.to_s

(arr1 & arr2).each do |x|
str1.sub!(x,"")