Re: Ruby DBI, was Witch Oracle....

Ball, Donald A Jr (Library)

5/8/2007 8:49:00 PM

> So if anyone has any specific suggestions or requests to
> voice regarding a fast, clean DBI replacement, now would be a
> good time.

Blob support for all databases would be nice. I use ActiveRecord against
sqlserver and cannot store blobs therein. Granted ActiveRecord is part
of the problem, since it models sql queries as strings instead of
objects, but as far as I recall, when I looked at solving the problem,
even DBI didn't offer an abstract way of working with blobs.

Optional connection pooling could be nice as well.

The ability to install DBI and the various DBD's as gems would be
useful.

Another thing that seems to be missing is a specification on how the
various sql types are converted to and from ruby types, not to mention
some way of altering the mapping.

- donald