Re: rdoc on c and cpp files

seebs

5/7/2007 10:52:00 PM

In message <923DE35C-CA19-4867-B3CE-FC3DB60A4393@gmail.com>, John Joyce writes:
>What PS is saying is, unless you're using a really old compiler and
>system (really really old) ...
>main is a function that always returns int. Not void. Though some
>compilers are kind of forgiving and will change it internally to int
>anyway, just use int.

It's been "int" since the first C compilers. There's some platforms
that are more tolerant, but it's been that way since K&R1.

-s

3 Answers

John Joyce

On May 8, 2007, at 7:51 AM, Peter Seebach wrote:

> In message <923DE35C-CA19-4867-B3CE-FC3DB60A4393@gmail.com>, John
> Joyce writes:
>> What PS is saying is, unless you're using a really old compiler and
>> system (really really old) ...
>> main is a function that always returns int. Not void. Though some
>> compilers are kind of forgiving and will change it internally to int
>> anyway, just use int.
>
> It's been "int" since the first C compilers. There's some platforms
> that are more tolerant, but it's been that way since K&R1.
>
> -s

Perhaps it has. Doesn't matter since when. There are and were
compilers that accept it. There are (unfortunately) and were books
that taught void main for a long time.
I can only speculate that they did this to initially hide some
details from people just starting out with C.
Luckily it doesn't happen anymore, but a lot of those old books are
still floating around, not to mention old code...

Michael W. Ryder

John Joyce wrote:

> On May 8, 2007, at 7:51 AM, Peter Seebach wrote:
>
>> In message <923DE35C-CA19-4867-B3CE-FC3DB60A4393@gmail.com>, John
>> Joyce writes:
>>> What PS is saying is, unless you're using a really old compiler and
>>> system (really really old) ...
>>> main is a function that always returns int. Not void. Though some
>>> compilers are kind of forgiving and will change it internally to int
>>> anyway, just use int.
>>
>> It's been "int" since the first C compilers. There's some platforms
>> that are more tolerant, but it's been that way since K&R1.
>>
>> -s
>>
> Perhaps it has. Doesn't matter since when. There are and were compilers
> that accept it. There are (unfortunately) and were books that taught
> void main for a long time.
> I can only speculate that they did this to initially hide some details
> from people just starting out with C.
> Luckily it doesn't happen anymore, but a lot of those old books are
> still floating around, not to mention old code...

I know the free Borland C++ compiler accepts void main(). I always used
it for utility programs where I didn't care for the return from the
program. My copy of K&R uses just main() for programs and the Borland
compiler accepts it without any warnings.

ray

On May 7, 7:29 pm, "Michael W. Ryder" <_mwry...@worldnet.att.net>
wrote:
> John Joyce wrote:
>
> > On May 8, 2007, at 7:51 AM, Peter Seebach wrote:

> >> It's been "int" since the first C compilers. There's some platforms
> >> that are more tolerant, but it's been that way since K&R1.
>
> >> -s
>
> > Perhaps it has. Doesn't matter since when. There are and were compilers
> > that accept it. There are (unfortunately) and were books that taught
> > void main for a long time.
> > I can only speculate that they did this to initially hide some details
> > from people just starting out with C.
> > Luckily it doesn't happen anymore, but a lot of those old books are
> > still floating around, not to mention old code...
>
> I know the free Borland C++ compiler accepts void main(). I always used
> it for utility programs where I didn't care for the return from the
> program. My copy of K&R uses just main() for programs and the Borland
> compiler accepts it without any warnings.

I typed the question quickly and used void main without thinking much
at all, hoping to get a quick answer to my question about rdoc.
Didn't think it would generate more discussions about void main and
int main ... :)

Ray,