must I use Apache locally?

Jerry McEwen

5/6/2007 9:16:00 AM

Hello,

I am considering trying out Ruby but have following question.

At the moment I have a web site which uses PHP and MySQL. The hosting
server is a Unix server and may well be running Apache but at the
moment I do not know for sure.

Do I have to develop code on my own PC using Apache?

Cheers

Geoff
6 Answers

Enrique Comba Riepenhausen

Hi Geoff,

when developing your Rails application you don't need any web server
(until it comes to the deployment on your hosting server ;) ).

Rails comes with an in-build web server (WEBrick) that you can start
with "script/server" from your Rails app root directory. But you'll
still need MySQL though ;)

Cheers and best regards,

On 6 May 2007, at 11:20, Geoff Cox wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am considering trying out Ruby but have following question.
>
> At the moment I have a web site which uses PHP and MySQL. The hosting
> server is a Unix server and may well be running Apache but at the
> moment I do not know for sure.
>
> Do I have to develop code on my own PC using Apache?
>
> Cheers
>
> Geoff

Phillip Gawlowski

Enrique Comba Riepenhausen wrote:
> Hi Geoff,
>
> when developing your Rails application you don't need any web server
> (until it comes to the deployment on your hosting server ;) ).
>
> Rails comes with an in-build web server (WEBrick) that you can start
> with "script/server" from your Rails app root directory. But you'll
> still need MySQL though ;)

Actually, *Ruby* comes with WEBrick.

To test deployment, you can use Apache (dunno how easy it is to set that
up with Windows OSes and mod_ruby, I had no luck, but didn't try very
hard), or a UNIX/Linux VM (there are free virtualization tools, like
VMware Server, Innotek's VirtuaBox, MS Virtual PC, the open source
version of Virtuozzo).

--
Phillip "CynicalRyan" Gawlowski
http://cynicalryan....

Eek! That was supposed to be My Special Law, _MY_ special law, I tell
you!

T/

Jerry McEwen

On Sun, 6 May 2007 18:25:35 +0900, Enrique Comba Riepenhausen
<ecomba@mac.com> wrote:

>Hi Geoff,
>
>when developing your Rails application you don't need any web server
>(until it comes to the deployment on your hosting server ;) ).
>
>Rails comes with an in-build web server (WEBrick) that you can start
>with "script/server" from your Rails app root directory. But you'll
>still need MySQL though ;)
>
>Cheers and best regards,
>
>Enrique Comba Riepenhausen

Thanks Enrique.

Cheers

Geoff

>On 6 May 2007, at 11:20, Geoff Cox wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I am considering trying out Ruby but have following question.
>>
>> At the moment I have a web site which uses PHP and MySQL. The hosting
>> server is a Unix server and may well be running Apache but at the
>> moment I do not know for sure.
>>
>> Do I have to develop code on my own PC using Apache?
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> Geoff

Jerry McEwen

On Mon, 7 May 2007 04:23:22 +0900, Phillip Gawlowski
<cmdjackryan@googlemail.com> wrote:

>Enrique Comba Riepenhausen wrote:
>> Hi Geoff,
>>
>> when developing your Rails application you don't need any web server
>> (until it comes to the deployment on your hosting server ;) ).
>>
>> Rails comes with an in-build web server (WEBrick) that you can start
>> with "script/server" from your Rails app root directory. But you'll
>> still need MySQL though ;)
>
>Actually, *Ruby* comes with WEBrick.
>
>To test deployment, you can use Apache (dunno how easy it is to set that
>up with Windows OSes and mod_ruby, I had no luck, but didn't try very
>hard), or a UNIX/Linux VM (there are free virtualization tools, like
>VMware Server, Innotek's VirtuaBox, MS Virtual PC, the open source
>version of Virtuozzo).

Thanks for the info Phillip.

Cheers

Geoff

Max Muermann

On 5/6/07, Enrique Comba Riepenhausen <ecomba@mac.com> wrote:
> Hi Geoff,
>
> when developing your Rails application you don't need any web server
> (until it comes to the deployment on your hosting server ;) ).
>
> Rails comes with an in-build web server (WEBrick) that you can start
> with "script/server" from your Rails app root directory. But you'll
> still need MySQL though ;)

To get started, you might want to try an embedded SQLite3 database. No
need to run a db server.

--max

> Cheers and best regards,
>
> Enrique Comba Riepenhausen
>
> On 6 May 2007, at 11:20, Geoff Cox wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > I am considering trying out Ruby but have following question.
> >
> > At the moment I have a web site which uses PHP and MySQL. The hosting
> > server is a Unix server and may well be running Apache but at the
> > moment I do not know for sure.
> >
> > Do I have to develop code on my own PC using Apache?
> >
> > Cheers
> >
> > Geoff

khaines