SIMPLE! and INTUITIVE! GUI BUILDER for RUBY?

Guaton Carcass

5/5/2007 5:34:00 PM

Is there any, SIMPLE software that I can use to build GRAPHIC INTERFACES
for Ruby scripts? a kind of VISUALbasic or REALbasic or even Xcode
alike?

I know I've asked this before, BUT! I forgot to mention... I'm a graphic
designer, NOT Aã??PROGRAMMER! I use Mac not LINUX, so don't know anything
about compiling and that things. I'm used to double click on icons and
things "magically happen" Did I made myself clear?

I've browsing many sites that has this "so called" simple applications,
BUT! is there anything really simple that I don't have to build,
compile, bind or whatever other "strange" thing?

I really felt in love with RUBY, I think I'm doing very well with it,
but I would like to apply its power through something else beside
terminals or pure script. For example I can make a simple yet fully
functional WordProcessor within hours in RealBasic, I would like to use
the power of Ruby for handling text in a more "VISUAL WAY".

I'm in a point that would be very frustrating to put my learned
knowledge about Ruby in the Trash can, help!!!!!!!!!!!

John Joyce

On May 6, 2007, at 2:33 AM, gcarcass wrote:

> Is there any, SIMPLE software that I can use to build GRAPHIC
> INTERFACES
> for Ruby scripts? a kind of VISUALbasic or REALbasic or even Xcode
> alike?
>
> I know I've asked this before, BUT! I forgot to mention... I'm a
> graphic
> designer, NOT A PROGRAMMER! I use Mac not LINUX, so don't know
> anything
> about compiling and that things. I'm used to double click on icons and
> things "magically happen" Did I made myself clear?
>
> I've browsing many sites that has this "so called" simple
> applications,
> BUT! is there anything really simple that I don't have to build,
> compile, bind or whatever other "strange" thing?
>
> I really felt in love with RUBY, I think I'm doing very well with it,
> but I would like to apply its power through something else beside
> terminals or pure script. For example I can make a simple yet fully
> functional WordProcessor within hours in RealBasic, I would like to
> use
> the power of Ruby for handling text in a more "VISUAL WAY".
>
> I'm in a point that would be very frustrating to put my learned
> knowledge about Ruby in the Trash can, help!!!!!!!!!!!

Try Platypus
http://www.sveinbjorn.or...

Reid Thompson

gcarcass wrote:
> Is there any, SIMPLE software that I can use to build GRAPHIC INTERFACES
> for Ruby scripts? a kind of VISUALbasic or REALbasic or even Xcode
> alike?
>
> I know I've asked this before, BUT! I forgot to mention... I'm a graphic
> designer, NOT Aã??PROGRAMMER! I use Mac not LINUX, so don't know anything
> about compiling and that things. I'm used to double click on icons and
> things "magically happen" Did I made myself clear?
>
> I've browsing many sites that has this "so called" simple applications,
> BUT! is there anything really simple that I don't have to build,
> compile, bind or whatever other "strange" thing?
>
> I really felt in love with RUBY, I think I'm doing very well with it,
> but I would like to apply its power through something else beside
> terminals or pure script. For example I can make a simple yet fully
> functional WordProcessor within hours in RealBasic, I would like to use
> the power of Ruby for handling text in a more "VISUAL WAY".
>
> I'm in a point that would be very frustrating to put my learned
> knowledge about Ruby in the Trash can, help!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.wides...

WideStudio is an open source, Integrated Development Environment for
desktop applications purely made in Japan. This enables you to develop
GUI applications that can run on Windows95/98/Me/NT/2000/Xp, WindowsCE,
Linux, FreeBSD, SOLARIS, MacOSX(w/X11), BTRON, T-Engine,
mu-CLinux(wo/X11) in various programming languages such as C/C++, Java,
Perl, Ruby, Python,Objective Caml
Since an application is build on MWT(Multi-Platform Widget Toolkit)
which runs on multiple platforms, WideStudio applications are all source
compatible between these platforms. If you developped an application in
C/C++ language, you only need to re-compile the source code to run on a
different platform in as native code.

Avdi Grimm

On 5/5/07, gcarcass <gcarcass@gmail.com> wrote:
> Is there any, SIMPLE software that I can use to build GRAPHIC INTERFACES
> for Ruby scripts? a kind of VISUALbasic or REALbasic or even Xcode
> alike?

I don't pretend to be a ruby GUI programmer, but I understand that
both Qt and GTK have visual editors which can be used to design a
language-neutral GUI description file. It should be possible to then
load such a file using the Ruby bindings. But this is not something I
have done; so I don't know what, if any, problems there are with such
an approach.

--
Avdi

Guaton Carcass

Reid Thompson wrote:
> gcarcass wrote:
>> BUT! is there anything really simple that I don't have to build,
>>

> http://www.wides...
>
> WideStudio is an open source, Integrated Development Environment for
> desktop applications purely made in Japan. This enables you to develop
> GUI applications that can run on Windows95/98/Me/NT/2000/Xp, WindowsCE,
> Linux, FreeBSD, SOLARIS, MacOSX(w/X11), BTRON, T-Engine,
> mu-CLinux(wo/X11) in various programming languages such as C/C++, Java,
> Perl, Ruby, Python,Objective Caml
> Since an application is build on MWT(Multi-Platform Widget Toolkit)
> which runs on multiple platforms, WideStudio applications are all source
> compatible between these platforms. If you developped an application in
> C/C++ language, you only need to re-compile the source code to run on a
> different platform in as native code.

Thanks!! It might be just what I was looking for, the only problem is I
cannot make it run, the OSX installer does not work and I'm making some
mistakes in the compile and building process, anyway I'll keep trying.

w.piekutowski@gmail.com

You are right. For example there is Glade for GTK which allows quite
easy and visual design of windows and other stuff. Glade saves your
work to a XML file and then opening it in Ruby is trivial. Works
pretty well, I didn't have any problems. I could say that it's little
less convenient than using Visual Studio. Programming model is the
same - event-driven.

Sherm Pendley

gcarcass <gcarcass@gmail.com> writes:

> Is there any, SIMPLE software that I can use to build GRAPHIC INTERFACES
> for Ruby scripts? a kind of VISUALbasic or REALbasic or even Xcode
> alike?

Stupid question maybe, but why look for something "like" Xcode, when you
could just use Xcode?

<http://rubycocoa.sourceforg...

> I know I've asked this before, BUT! I forgot to mention... I'm a graphic
> designer, NOT A?@PROGRAMMER!

There's programming involved in the creation of any application. Whether
you do that part yourself, or focus solely on interface design and team up
with a programmer who does the rest, is up to you.

> I use Mac not LINUX, so don't know anything
> about compiling and that things.

Since when does using a Mac mean not knowing how to program? Where do you
think Mac software comes from? For that matter, since when does using Linux
mean *having* to know how to program?

> I've browsing many sites that has this "so called" simple applications,
> BUT! is there anything really simple that I don't have to build,
> compile, bind or whatever other "strange" thing?

I want a logo for my web site. Is there anything really simple that I don't
have to draw, sketch, render, or whatever other "strange" thing?

Sorry if this sounds kind of harsh, but it sounds like you want to have your
cake and eat it too. You want to write software without having to actually
do any programming, and it just doesn't work that way. What would you say to
someone who "just" wanted a nice logo, but expected to somehow create one
without knowing a thing about graphic design?

sherm--

--
Web Hosting by West Virginians, for West Virginians: http://...
Cocoa programming in Perl: http://camelbones.sourc...

Guaton Carcass

w.piekutowski@gmail.com wrote:
> You are right. For example there is Glade for GTK which allows quite
> easy and visual design of windows and other stuff. Glade saves your
> work to a XML file and then opening it in Ruby is trivial. Works
> pretty well, I didn't have any problems. I could say that it's little
> less convenient than using Visual Studio. Programming model is the
> same - event-driven.

Thanks!!
I've been looking for an OSX version, but it seems there is not. Any
clues?

Guaton Carcass

Sherm Pendley wrote:
> Sorry if this sounds kind of harsh, but it sounds like you want to have
> your
> cake and eat it too. You want to write software without having to
> actually
> do any programming, and it just doesn't work that way. What would you
> say to
> someone who "just" wanted a nice logo, but expected to somehow create
> one
> without knowing a thing about graphic design?
>
> sherm--

Sherm:

Thanks for your mail, and actually it is not Harsh at all, I think it
was just what I needed a strong kick on my ass to wake up and realize a
few things, I guess the problem in which I'm involve (in which I have to
learn and do many things in a very short period of time) is exasperating
me.

Seriously, thanks for your mail, actually until last week things inside
the computer happened magically, and today I downloaded wxWidgets and
wxRuby, compiled and built it, and it worked!!! maybe for you guys does
not sound the big deal, but for me it was quite a challenge. I hope I
can still count with your support in the future.

Thanks again!

Sherm Pendley

Guaton Carcass <gcarcass@gmail.com> writes:

> today I downloaded wxWidgets and
> wxRuby, compiled and built it, and it worked!!! maybe for you guys does
> not sound the big deal

Actually, I remember my own "aha!" moment like that very vividly, and it
was indeed a *huge* deal! It was then that I realized that I was no longer
required to simply accept what the computer could do out of the box; all
of a sudden, infinite possibilities were opened up.

It's a magical moment - congratulations on achieving it.

sherm--

--
Web Hosting by West Virginians, for West Virginians: http://...
Cocoa programming in Perl: http://camelbones.sourc...

Ari Brown

On May 7, 2007, at 7:52 AM, Guaton Carcass wrote:

> w.piekutowski@gmail.com wrote:
>> You are right. For example there is Glade for GTK which allows quite
>> easy and visual design of windows and other stuff. Glade saves your
>> work to a XML file and then opening it in Ruby is trivial. Works
>> pretty well, I didn't have any problems. I could say that it's little
>> less convenient than using Visual Studio. Programming model is the
>> same - event-driven.
>
> Thanks!!
> I've been looking for an OSX version, but it seems there is not. Any
> clues?

You can download the source code and follow some simple instructions:
1) unzip/untar the file
2) open up terminal
3) cd to the directory (ls to list, cd directory to move to that
directory)
4) type ./configure
5) type make
6) type sudo make install