Re: Ruby love

Cliff Rowley

5/5/2007 2:02:00 PM

> I'm sorry, I wasn't trying to seem inflammatory. More positively, I
> think my real question is, "Why are we (almost) *never*
> meeting girls who can teach guys to be better programmers?"
>
> That gets to be a complex, sensitive issue. I guess I'm just
> interested in people's thoughts on this, but I suppose that
> I'm not surprised at how quickly people want to close down
> the topic, sadly.

No no, your posts were really constructive. I read them and I've been
pondering since. My little outburst was directed more at the few aggressive
posts that have been made. I just felt it was a little uncalled for.
Anyways. I've only met 2 female programmers in my career. One of them
didn't speak a word of English so I never got to know her, and the other
transferred to support about 6 months after she started. I've never felt
that was a reflection on her though, it was a horrible environment and I
only lasted a year and a half there myself. If anything she made the smart
move ;-) But I have always wondered why we are so unbalanced, and this is
merely an observation, but until Athena I'd never met a woman who was even
remotely interested in programming. That's just my personal experience,
ymmv.

1 Answer

Rick DeNatale

On 5/5/07, Cliff Rowley <cliffrowley@gmail.com> wrote:

> I've only met 2 female programmers in my career. One of them
> didn't speak a word of English so I never got to know her, and the other
> transferred to support about 6 months after she started. I've never felt
> that was a reflection on her though, it was a horrible environment and I
> only lasted a year and a half there myself. If anything she made the smart
> move ;-) But I have always wondered why we are so unbalanced, and this is
> merely an observation, but until Athena I'd never met a woman who was even
> remotely interested in programming. That's just my personal experience,
> ymmv.

Well, I've known, and worked with quite a few, some rather famous.
Among the well known that I've had some personal contact with include:

Jean Sammet - Programming language Expert, author of "Programming
Languages" in 1969 which was THE survey on programming languages in
the 1970s.
Adele Goldberg - member of Xerox PARC and founder of ParcPlace.
Radia Perlman - was a student of Seymour Papert at M.I.T., worked
on Logo, now a distinguished engineer at SUN specializing in networks.
Fran Allen - expert on compilation for parallel architectures,
first woman IBM Fellow.

Two other who come to mind, but who I've never had the pleasure to
meet are Grace Murray Hopper, and Barbara Liskov.

--
Rick DeNatale

My blog on Ruby
http://talklikeaduck.denh...