Re: Ruby love

Cliff Rowley

5/5/2007 1:21:00 PM

Haha.. They should make a southpark episode about this.. Seriously, put the
guns away guys. Ivor, I took your comment as it was intended. To those
hurling rebukes, get off your high horses and consider the context of this
conversation for just a moment. It is a sad fact that this is a
predominately male industry, but seriously, you can't pin that on some geeks
wanting to show their geeky girlfriends their geeky ways.

-----Original Message-----
From: Ivor Paul [mailto:ivorpaul@gmail.com]
Sent: 05 May 2007 14:07
To: ruby-talk ML
Subject: Re: Ruby love

My apologies.

The notion of my comment "Have you guys reaped any benefits? :p" being
seriously interpreted as a power-hungry "could I maybe unlock some hidden
power here" type phrase had not even occurred to me. I made a comment which
amongst my friends would have been interpreted as a cute retorical foray
into "stereotypical geek role-playing".

I recognise that the comment should have stayed within my close group of
friends where the potential damage could be contained and handled.

Regards
Ivor

1 Answer

Gregory Brown

On 5/5/07, Cliff Rowley <cliffrowley@gmail.com> wrote:
> Haha.. They should make a southpark episode about this.. Seriously, put the
> guns away guys. Ivor, I took your comment as it was intended. To those
> hurling rebukes, get off your high horses and consider the context of this
> conversation for just a moment. It is a sad fact that this is a
> predominately male industry, but seriously, you can't pin that on some geeks
> wanting to show their geeky girlfriends their geeky ways.

I'm sorry, I wasn't trying to seem inflammatory. More positively, I
think my real question is, "Why are we (almost) *never* meeting girls
who can teach guys to be better programmers?"

That gets to be a complex, sensitive issue. I guess I'm just
interested in people's thoughts on this, but I suppose that I'm not
surprised at how quickly people want to close down the topic, sadly.