Re: Installing ruby-opengl in Windows: ERROR: While executin

Linh Chau

5/5/2007 3:52:00 AM

You have to setup a C development tool on Window, in order to build
native extension for Ruby.

You can either use GNU C or Visual C++.

I have the same error on my Window machine. I install Visual C++, and
afterward the error is solved.

Several users on Linux, Unix or Mac OS have the same problems, because
they don't install C compiler tools yet. Just use the package management
to install appropriate C compiler for each environment, it will be Ok.

Linh Chau

I am sorry. The paragraph about C compiler above is meant for people who
can not build the native extension, due to nmake error.

If you have the error "undefined method `exitstatus' for nil:NilClass",
it is because when you run
gem install ruby-opengl

gem looks for the newest version of opengl gem, which is very likely a
Unix version of gem. You need to look for the specific gem for win32.

I have the same problem "undefined method `exitstatus' for nil:NilClass"
when I install rmagick (for ImageMagick) on Window XP.

So I have to download the gem rmagick-win32 to my local machine, and run
gem from local. Everything is Ok.