mac help with rubygems

andy

Lyle Johnson

On 5/3/07, Andy Koch <andy.koch@pc-doctor.com> wrote:

> I'm having some trouble with the FireRuby gem. It appears to install,
> but running it; well here is the output...

<snip>

I am not at all familiar with the "fireruby" project, but I can say
that if you try to install a gem that was intended for the
"i586-linux" platform on your Mac OS X box, it's just not going to
work.

Based on the output of "gem update" that you included, it looks like
there in fact isn't a Mac-specific gem for fireruby. There may be
other options available to you for using that software on your Mac,
however; you'll just need to ask the fireruby developer(s) what's up.

Hope this helps,

Lyle

John Joyce

On May 4, 2007, at 3:36 AM, Andy Koch wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to expand my horizons by learning to do some dev work on
> an iMac that I inherited from a co-worker.
>
> My understanding of Mac OS is fairly described as infantile; I
> think of Mac OS as a really pretty version of Linux.
>
> Now to my point...
>
> I'm having some trouble with the FireRuby gem. It appears to
> install, but running it; well here is the output...
>
> hst-27-241:~ $ gem update fireruby
> Updating installed gems...
> Need to update 1 gems from http://gems.rub...
> .
> complete
> Attempting remote update of fireruby
> Select which gem to install for your platform (powerpc-darwin7.9.0)
> 1. fireruby 0.4.1 (i586-linux)
> 2. fireruby 0.4.1 (mswin32)
> 3. fireruby 0.4.0 (mswin32)
> 4. fireruby 0.4.0 (i586-linux)
> 5. Skip this gem
> 6. Cancel installation
> > 1
> Successfully installed fireruby-0.4.1-i586-linux
> Installing ri documentation for fireruby-0.4.1-i586-linux...
> Installing RDoc documentation for fireruby-0.4.1-i586-linux...
> Gems: [fireruby] updated
> hst-27-241:~ $ irb
> irb(main):001:0> require 'rubygems'
> => true
> irb(main):002:0> require 'fireruby'
> LoadError: no such file to load -- fr_lib
> from /opt/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/
> custom_require.rb:32:in `gem_original_require'
> from /opt/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/
> custom_require.rb:32:in `require'
> from /opt/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/fireruby-0.4.1-i586-
> linux/lib/fireruby.rb:21
> from /opt/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/
> custom_require.rb:32:in `gem_original_require'
> from /opt/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/
> custom_require.rb:32:in require'
> from (irb):2
> irb(main):003:0>

> thus I interpret this to mean fr_lib.so file not found
>
> I've also installed Firebird 1.5.x for good measure.
>
> and now I wallow in Maconfusion,
>
> any help appreciated
>
> regards,

Maybe this page can help:

http://fireruby.ruby...

According to this it should support OS X. However I see you're
running PPC not Intel Mac, that means an extension written in C will
have to be recompiled. Endian issues.

Amiel Martin

Andy Koch wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to expand my horizons by learning to do some dev work on an
> iMac that I inherited from a co-worker.
>
> My understanding of Mac OS is fairly described as infantile; I think of
> Mac OS as a really pretty version of Linux.
>
> Now to my point...
>
> I'm having some trouble with the FireRuby gem. It appears to install,
> but running it; well here is the output...

> thus I interpret this to mean fr_lib.so file not found
>
> I've also installed Firebird 1.5.x for good measure.
>
> and now I wallow in Maconfusion,
>
> any help appreciated
>
> regards,

Hi, I just recently discovered the same problem, not sure if you've
figured it out by now (looks like your post was a while ago...).
I don't know why rubygems did not find the darwin version because if I
go to rubyforge: http://rubyforge.org/frs/?group_id=596&relea...
the darwin gem is right there, just install with
sudo gem install /path/to/fireruby_0.4.1_powerpc_darwin.gem
-amiel

John Doe

On Tue, 4 Feb 2014 16:24:33 -0800 (PST), Werner <whetzner@mac.com>
wrote:

>So you practice 'trickle down'.

Not as a policy that allows me to tell myself that
there's no reason to pay people a decent wage.