Re: parse excel spreadsheet with password

Todd

5/3/2007 3:00:00 PM

--- lovelymmx <lovelymmx@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have done quite a lot of diggings, but all I found
> were examples and
> instructions about opening/reading simple xls files.
>
> I need to open and read data from encrypted excel
> spreadsheets. Does
> anyone know how to do that?

From Microsoft's web site:

"Caution If a user assigns password protection to a
workbook and then forgets the password, it is
impossible to perform the following activities:

* Open the workbook.
* Gain access to the workbook's data from another
workbook through a link.
* Remove protection from the workbook.
* Recover data from the workbook."

I believe you need a password cracking utility, or you
need to make use of a password cracking service
(http://www.passwordb...). Recent MSOffice
versions apparently use 40-bit RC4 encryption.

You can write your own common-password cracking
utility. If you're adventurous and have a
supercomputer handy, you can write a brute force
decryption utility. Maybe, someday that will be a
ruby quiz ... no way to test, though :)

http://mail...

1 Answer

lovelymmx

Todd Benson wrote:

> I believe you need a password cracking utility, or you
> need to make use of a password cracking service
> (http://www.passwordb...). Recent MSOffice
> versions apparently use 40-bit RC4 encryption.
>
> You can write your own common-password cracking
> utility. If you're adventurous and have a
> supercomputer handy, you can write a brute force
> decryption utility. Maybe, someday that will be a
> ruby quiz ... no way to test, though :)

thanks, but what i need is not a password cracker.
I have already found some useful reference on msdn.
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/microsoft.office.interop.excel.work...(vs.80).aspx

password could be passed as a parameter into the Workbooks.Open method
:)