Re: RoR how does scaffold work?

Cliff Rowley

5/3/2007 2:59:00 PM

Ugh. Lazy, rude and without gratitude. This isn't your personal talking
documentation here, this is a group of real people with real things to do.

I started using Ruby and Rails about a week before you did (I saw you
subscribe to the group), and yet every question you've asked I've found in
the documentation, or found by intuitively using search engines (that
'greatest commercial company on the planet' also has a very good search
engine). Hell I've got 4 healthy Rails projects in development and I'm
already working with other people on them.

My workflow when I need an answer is this:

1. Look in the documentation. It really never takes me very long to click
through some of the classes at either at http://www.rub... or
http://api.rubyo... (usually I start from Base, through the Helpers).
Looking through the source code provided in the API documentation helps too.

2. If I can't find the information there I'll search (yes, using Google).
Ruby/Rails users are also pretty heavy bloggers, and 9 times out of 10 if I
can't find what I need in the documentation, I'll find it in a seach.

3. Finally, if I really can't find what I need either in the documentation
or on the web, I'll consider asking someone. I've only had to do this once,
on IRC, and I happened to be there at the time.

I just don't see the need to post every single question that comes to my
head to this list, and then get picky with the answers. One of the best
ways to learn about something is to pick at it and try things, learning by
example and trial and error. Your question on increasing the width of a
field for example, I discovered a couple of weeks ago in the API
documentation when I was looking for exactly the same thing. Since my query
was related to the view, I knew it had something to do with ActionView, and
I knew it was something to do with forms - so I naturally looked up
ActionView::Helpers::FormHelper, and the answer is right there. As for
partials, I learned about those in the very first screen presentation I
watched (on www.rubyonrails.org).

All I'm saying is, a little bit of time invested on your part saves everyone
else a little time and irritation.