Re: Introducing myself

Suraj Kurapati

4/20/2007 4:42:00 PM

swanand deodhar wrote:
> I am focussing on building a ETL and Data mining framework in Ruby.

That is quite a tall order, IMHO. I would suggest having a look at Weka:

http://www.cs.waikato.ac.n...

I used it last quarter in my graduate Data Mining class. It is quite
powerful and, more importantly, was written collaboratively by active
researchers in the field. It also has a big following in the academic
world.

The best part is that I didn't have to put my programmer's hat on every
time I wanted to play around with a statistical algorithm in the
textbook because, usually, it was already implemented in Weka. :-)

Although Weka is written in Java, I think you could build a Ruby
interface atop it with JRuby. However, I am not familiar with the rules
of GSoC, so making a light abstraction layer above existing software
might not be allowed?

Patrick Hurley

On 4/20/07, Suraj Kurapati <snk@gna.org> wrote:
> swanand deodhar wrote:
> > I am focussing on building a ETL and Data mining framework in Ruby.

On the topic of items of interest, you may also want to checkout the
activewarehouse-etl gem.

pth

Brian Candler

On Sat, Apr 21, 2007 at 04:03:08PM +0900, zswu wrote:
> Excuse me, what is ETL and Data mining framework ?

Two resources you will probably find useful:
http://www.g...
http://www.wiki...

The second gives you immediately:
http://en.wikipedia.or...

Web Tech

Brian Candler wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 21, 2007 at 04:03:08PM +0900, zswu wrote:
>> Excuse me, what is ETL and Data mining framework ?
>
> Two resources you will probably find useful:
> http://www.g...
> http://www.wiki...
>
> The second gives you immediately:
> http://en.wikipedia.or...