ParseTree problem on Ubuntu 7.4, GCC 4.1

Xin Zheng

4/20/2007 8:34:00 AM

Hi List,

I am having trouble using ParseTree 1.7 on my new Ubuntu system.

When I require 'parse_tree', I get the following error:
http://pastie.cabo...

It seems like it can not find variuos development files. I am using GCC
4.1. Should I install the corresponding source? I'm downloading it at
the moment.

If not, any other suggestions?

I'm using:
Ruby 1.8.5
Rubygems 0.9

This is most frustrating. All help appreciated.

Xin

Peter Szinek

Xin Zheng wrote:
> Hi List,
>
> I am having trouble using ParseTree 1.7 on my new Ubuntu system.
>
> When I require 'parse_tree', I get the following error:
> http://pastie.cabo...
>
> It seems like it can not find variuos development files. I am using GCC
> 4.1. Should I install the corresponding source? I'm downloading it at
> the moment.

Make sure 'build-essential' and 'ruby1.8dev' ubuntu packages are installed.

For me it seems to work:

peter@brain:~$ gcc --version
gcc (GCC) 4.1.2 (Ubuntu 4.1.2-0ubuntu4)

peter@brain:~$ ruby --version
ruby 1.8.5 (2006-08-25) [i486-linux]
peter@brain:~$ ruby
ruby ruby1.8 rubyforge
peter@brain:~$ gem --version
0.9.0
peter@brain:~$ sudo gem install parsetree
Password:
Need to update 12 gems from http://gems.rub...
complete
Successfully installed ParseTree-1.7.0
Installing ri documentation for ParseTree-1.7.0...

lib/parse_tree.rb:123:26: ':' not followed by identified or operator

test/test_parse_tree.rb:70:50: ':' not followed by identified or operator

test/test_parse_tree.rb:81:38: ':' not followed by identified or operator
Installing RDoc documentation for ParseTree-1.7.0...

lib/parse_tree.rb:123:26: ':' not followed by identified or operator

test/test_parse_tree.rb:70:50: ':' not followed by identified or operator

test/test_parse_tree.rb:81:38: ':' not followed by identified or operator

Cheers,
Peter
__
http://www.rubyra... :: Ruby and Web2.0 blog
http://s... :: Ruby web scraping framework
http://rubykitch... :: The indexed archive of all things Ruby.

Michael Steinfeld

Well, oddly enough.. though I am using x86_64 I was running into a lot
of compilation errors.
I removed binutils, installed build-essential and binutils and then
everything seemed to work.

this was a problem in a few beta's but may have missed a fix before
release. I believe there is already a bug noted.

-
Mike

--
-mike