Ruby Installation Issue

nospam

4/12/2007 9:13:00 PM

Hello.

I'm looking to install Ruby on my hosting, which is a Linux VPS
server.

I have SSH access and was following this guide:
http://xmlareas.com/ruby-rails-...

The problem is, there's no GCC compiler on my server. I tried google
for a solution but didn't find much. Can anyone help, please?

Thanks,
wd01

5 Answers

Alex Young

nospam@wd01.co.uk wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I'm looking to install Ruby on my hosting, which is a Linux VPS
> server.
>
> I have SSH access and was following this guide:
> http://xmlareas.com/ruby-rails-...
>
> The problem is, there's no GCC compiler on my server.

What's the distribution?

--
Alex

nospam

On Apr 12, 11:00 pm, Alex Young <a...@blackkettle.org> wrote:
> nos...@wd01.co.uk wrote:
> > Hello.
>
> > I'm looking to install Ruby on my hosting, which is a Linux VPS
> > server.
>
> > I have SSH access and was following this guide:
> >http://xmlareas.com/ruby-rails-...
>
> > The problem is, there's no GCC compiler on my server.
>
> What's the distribution?
>
> --
> Alex

It's Fedora Core, that's all I know from my hosting company. I don't
know which version.

--
Russell.

Phillip Gawlowski

nospam@wd01.co.uk wrote:

> It's Fedora Core, that's all I know from my hosting company. I don't
> know which version.

`yum install ruby` or `yum install ruby-1.8`

Otherwise, you should seek out the Fedora community:
http://fedoraproject...

--
Phillip "CynicalRyan" Gawlowski
http://cynicalryan....

Rule of Open-Source Programming #20:

Open Code != Good Code

nospam

On 12 Apr, 23:29, Phillip Gawlowski <cmdjackr...@googlemail.com>
wrote:
> nos...@wd01.co.uk wrote:
> > It's Fedora Core, that's all I know from my hosting company. I don't
> > know which version.
>
> `yum install ruby` or `yum install ruby-1.8`
>
> Otherwise, you should seek out the Fedora community:http://fedoraproject...

Thanks for the advice. Upon more investigation I've discovered that
the installation of Fedora is bare-bones to say the least!

--
Russell

Phillip Gawlowski

nospam@wd01.co.uk wrote:

> Thanks for the advice. Upon more investigation I've discovered that
> the installation of Fedora is bare-bones to say the least!

It's a server, after all. The hoster doesn't want a hijacked system
right from the start, after all ;)

It's actually a sign of a good hoster, if they stripped down the install
to a bare minimum.

--
Phillip "CynicalRyan" Gawlowski
http://cynicalryan....
http://clothred.rub...

Rule of Open-Source Programming #4:

If you don't work on your project, chances are that no one will.