Re: What is your favourite IDE?

Alexey Kalmykov

4/12/2007 12:12:00 PM

Komodo (win)

-----Original Message-----
From: list-bounce@example.com [mailto:list-bounce@example.com] On Behalf
Of Jan Friedrich
Sent: Thursday, April 12, 2007 4:10 PM
To: ruby-talk ML
Subject: Re: What is your favourite IDE?

John Mettraux wrote:
> 2007/4/12, ChrisKaelin <ck.stonedragon@gmail.com>:
>>
>> So what IDE do you prefer in order to code and to debug ruby?
>
> vim, bash, grep, less, ...
+ sed

John Joyce

TextMate!

On Apr 12, 2007, at 9:12 PM, Alexey Kalmykov wrote:

> Komodo (win)

shawn bright

vim, sometimes JEdit
sk

On 4/12/07, Alexey Kalmykov <akalmykov@openwaygroup.com> wrote:

> Komodo (win)

shawn bright

i am in linux so i have textmate - envy.
scribes comes pretty close, i think, in workflow though.
sk

On 4/12/07, John Joyce <dangerwillrobinsondanger@gmail.com> wrote:
> TextMate!
>
> On Apr 12, 2007, at 9:12 PM, Alexey Kalmykov wrote:
>

> > Komodo (win)

not

On Thu, 12 Apr 2007 22:01:07 +0900, John Joyce wrote:

> TextMate!

Geany!

ChrisKaelin

Well, I should've written "vi, emacs, irb and commandline do not
count", but that would've given me some flames ;-)

BTW, does textmate support debugging?

James Gray

On Apr 12, 2007, at 8:35 AM, ChrisKaelin wrote:

> BTW, does textmate support debugging?

Not really. It doesn't have a built-in debugger, if that's what you
meant.

James Edward Gray II

Avdi Grimm

On 4/12/07, ChrisKaelin <ck.stonedragon@gmail.com> wrote:
> Well, I should've written "vi, emacs, irb and commandline do not
> count", but that would've given me some flames ;-)

Not a flame: how do they not count?

IDE stands for "Integrated Development Environment". I can't speak
for VI users, but Emacs has Ruby source code editing, project
management, the ability to cross-reference code symbols,
auto-completion, source templates, integrated source-level debugging
(if you want it), IRB, and the ability to run your code and tests
right from the editor. What's missing that it fails to qualify as an
IDE?

--
Avdi

John Joyce

Huh? That's just arbitrary nonsense!
(this may be a flame)
I dare you to define IDE under pain of slashdotting.
(why is slashdot so flamey?)
Seriously though, editors are viable as IDEs if they do the sending
to the compiler/parser.
TextMate, like EMACS is often more of a nexus of tools, but isn't
that what the "I" in IDE is all about?
From that note, what constitutes debugging? Stepping through a
program with breakpoints? Perhaps, but no. Debugging is simply
removing the bugs by any means necessary.

irb is an unusual case only seriously matched by shell code and
SmallTalk.

On Apr 12, 2007, at 10:35 PM, ChrisKaelin wrote:

> Well, I should've written "vi, emacs, irb and commandline do not
> count", but that would've given me some flames ;-)
>
> BTW, does textmate support debugging?

shawn bright

i love these favorite editor / ide threads, i am always looking for a
new one to play around with. I have always found the coolest things in
these threads.
sk

On 4/12/07, John Joyce <dangerwillrobinsondanger@gmail.com> wrote:
> Huh? That's just arbitrary nonsense!
> (this may be a flame)
> I dare you to define IDE under pain of slashdotting.
> (why is slashdot so flamey?)
> Seriously though, editors are viable as IDEs if they do the sending
> to the compiler/parser.
> TextMate, like EMACS is often more of a nexus of tools, but isn't
> that what the "I" in IDE is all about?
> From that note, what constitutes debugging? Stepping through a
> program with breakpoints? Perhaps, but no. Debugging is simply
> removing the bugs by any means necessary.
>
> irb is an unusual case only seriously matched by shell code and
> SmallTalk.
>
> On Apr 12, 2007, at 10:35 PM, ChrisKaelin wrote:
>
> > Well, I should've written "vi, emacs, irb and commandline do not
> > count", but that would've given me some flames ;-)
> >
> > BTW, does textmate support debugging?

Mark Woodward

Hi all,

On Thu, 12 Apr 2007 22:46:16 +0900, Avdi Grimm wrote:

> On 4/12/07, ChrisKaelin <ck.stonedragon@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Well, I should've written "vi, emacs, irb and commandline do not
>> count", but that would've given me some flames ;-)
>
> Not a flame: how do they not count?
>
> IDE stands for "Integrated Development Environment". I can't speak
> for VI users, but Emacs has Ruby source code editing, project
> management, the ability to cross-reference code symbols,
> auto-completion, source templates, integrated source-level debugging
> (if you want it), IRB, and the ability to run your code and tests
> right from the editor. What's missing that it fails to qualify as an
> IDE?

How can this http://platypope.org/yada/e... not be considered an
IDE?

PS - I don't use Emacs. I use Vim + any nix utilities I need.

--
Mark