What is your favourite IDE?

ChrisKaelin

4/12/2007 10:55:00 AM

I prefer using eclipse for it's freedom, ruby and svn plugins etc. But
the big problem now is, debuggin does not work anymore after v. 3.2
and a solution seems to be quite some time away and rdb is a little
unhandy for a lazy type like me...

So what IDE do you prefer in order to code and to debug ruby?

85 Answers

Phillip Gawlowski

ChrisKaelin wrote:
> I prefer using eclipse for it's freedom, ruby and svn plugins etc. But
> the big problem now is, debuggin does not work anymore after v. 3.2
> and a solution seems to be quite some time away and rdb is a little
> unhandy for a lazy type like me...
>
> So what IDE do you prefer in order to code and to debug ruby?

NetBeans and the command line.

--
Phillip "CynicalRyan" Gawlowski
http://cynicalryan....

Rule of Open-Source Programming #7:

Release early, release often. Clean compilation is optional.

Bertram Scharpf

Am Donnerstag, 12. Apr 2007, 19:55:09 +0900 schrieb ChrisKaelin:
> So what IDE do you prefer in order to code and to debug ruby?

Vim, Bash.

Bertram

--
Bertram Scharpf
Stuttgart, Deutschland/Germany

Pedro Fortuny Ayuso

Emacs+ecb, etc.

--
Pedro Fortuny Ayuso
C/Capuchinos 14, 1. 47006 Valladolid. SPAIN

Avdi Grimm

On 4/12/07, ChrisKaelin <ck.stonedragon@gmail.com> wrote:
> So what IDE do you prefer in order to code and to debug ruby?

Emacs for coding. I find that debuggers are frequently useless and
almost always more trouble than they are worth, so I generally debug
with unit tests and, when necessary, puts().

--
Avdi

John Mettraux

2007/4/12, ChrisKaelin <ck.stonedragon@gmail.com>:

> So what IDE do you prefer in order to code and to debug ruby?

vim, bash, grep, less, ...

--
John Mettraux -///- http://jmettraux.o...

Guest

John Mettraux wrote:
> 2007/4/12, ChrisKaelin <ck.stonedragon@gmail.com>:
>>
>> So what IDE do you prefer in order to code and to debug ruby?
>
> vim, bash, grep, less, ...
+ sed

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky

ChrisKaelin wrote:
> I prefer using eclipse for it's freedom, ruby and svn plugins etc. But
> the big problem now is, debuggin does not work anymore after v. 3.2
> and a solution seems to be quite some time away and rdb is a little
> unhandy for a lazy type like me...
>
> So what IDE do you prefer in order to code and to debug ruby?

My favorite IDE is the one I get paid to use, and my favorite
programming language is the one I get paid to use as well. But since I
don't get paid to program in Ruby, perhaps my opinion isn't relevant.
For Ruby programming, I have two IDEs -- the Linux desktop and Komodo
(the paid version). But if you like KDE and don't mind locking yourself
out of Windows and Macs, KDevelop is awesome!

http://borasky-res...

Alexey Verkhovsky

IntelliJ IDEA and their Ruby plugin.

--
Alex Verkhovsky

Todd Werth

ChrisKaelin wrote:
> I prefer using eclipse for it's freedom, ruby and svn plugins etc. But
> the big problem now is, debuggin does not work anymore after v. 3.2
> and a solution seems to be quite some time away and rdb is a little
> unhandy for a lazy type like me...
>
> So what IDE do you prefer in order to code and to debug ruby?

Although some will argue what an IDE is, I'll assume the looser meaning.

I use TextMate, irb, and bash/command line; I'm very happy with that
setup.

Avdi Grimm wrote:
> Emacs for coding. I find that debuggers are frequently useless and
> almost always more trouble than they are worth, so I generally debug
> with unit tests and, when necessary, puts().

I agree with that, there are cases when a debugger is useful, but not
very often. It's too easy to use the debugger as a crutch, and not
write assertions or unit tests. In Ruby, I often open the unit test
file and the file I'm working on at the same time, and then I use
TextMate's "Run Focused Unit Test" command to test it as I'm coding.

To run little snippets of code, I use either irb (which I always have
open) or I use TextMate's "Execute Selection as Ruby", which is cool.

I've never coded in it, but the way people describe the IDEs used for
SmallTalk sounds intriguing to me. If you could integrate irb into
TextMate, that would be very nice, indeed.

Kyle Schmitt

I still use SciTE.

I started using EditPlus, and quickly ran from it to freeRide.
For awhile I used freeRide (is that poor project abandoned now?) but I
had to give up after too many crashes. Despite it all, I really liked
it.
Tried Eclipse, and found it to be a great editor, but clunky when it
came to running & debugging ruby code from within it.
I wanted to try the netbeans stuff but haven't gotten around to it.
Jedit didn't really seem to work all that well, maybe it's just personal taste?

SciTE doesn't have a debugger, but it'll run ruby code from within it,
hop to errors, show output etc.
It's got an annoyingly small number of tabs available, but usually
it's enough.
The text highlighting is good, and it'll collapse loops methods and
classes pretty well. Pretty well, not perfectly.

Oooh, and it's never crashed on me. I can't say that about freeRide
(hourly) or even eclipse (though rare).

Interestingly the SciTE webpage shows intellisense type stuff for
python and other languages. I wonder how to get that working in
ruby... That would make it about the best ruby IDE currently
available. Yes eclipse/netbeans may be fuller, but SciTE is tiny and
light weight.

--Kyle