Re: [ANN] ClothRed (HTML to Textile

Victor 'Zverok' Shepelev

4/11/2007 9:26:00 PM

From: Gary Wright [mailto:gwtmp01@mac.com]
Sent: Thursday, April 12, 2007 12:10 AM

>On Apr 11, 2007, at 4:52 PM, Victor Zverok Shepelev wrote:
>> My point was, to have some intermediate format, and have couple of
>> parsers
>> TO this format and generators FROM it.
>
>Seems like XHTML would be the obvious choice for the intermediate
>format, no?
>Unless you want to reinvent that particular wheel.

<OT>
We, russians, say "invent the bike". In russian programming forums my usual
origin is "Bikes forever!" :)
</OT>

The question, I think, is like XML vs. YAML/JSON. Just do simpler.

I mean, for conversions like Markdown <=> Textile, XHTML as intermediate is
slightly too funny.

The overall thought was "conversion of basic logical formatting", thus,
intermediate format should only handle basic features (at the level of
Textile-like formats, not bloated XHTML-like).

V.

1 Answer

Gary Wright

On Apr 11, 2007, at 5:26 PM, Victor "Zverok" Shepelev wrote:
> I mean, for conversions like Markdown <=> Textile, XHTML as
> intermediate is
> slightly too funny.

Yes, but that is because XHTML is too funny.

Markdown exists to generate XHTML.
Textile exists to generate XHTML.

If you've got reverse translations also, then XHTML is *already* working
as the intermediate. Why do you need yet another format?

Gary Wright