class << Foo; include Foo; end

Thomas Hafner

4/8/2007 11:06:00 PM

Hello,

how should I group some stateless functions into a module and use them
in a very simple way without littering the namespace? E.g. if the
module is ``Foo'' with at least one function foo, then I'd like to use
that module in a way as simple like that:

require 'Foo'
puts Foo.foo("world")

The first solution that I've found is to write Foo.rb like follows:

module Foo
def foo(s)
"Hello, #{s}\n"

class << Foo
include Foo
end

Is that Ok? Or is there even a simpler way?

Regards
Thomas
2 Answers

Gary Wright

On Apr 8, 2007, at 7:10 PM, Thomas Hafner wrote:
> The first solution that I've found is to write Foo.rb like follows:
>
> module Foo
> def foo(s)
> "Hello, #{s}\n"
>
> class << Foo
> include Foo
> end

That is fine. There are several variations:

module Foo
def foo(s)
"Hello, #{s}\n"
end
extend self
end

Your example and my variation enable the module to
respond to *all* of its instance methods.

If you only want the module to respond to some of its instance
methods you'll want to look at the following variations:

module Foo
def foo(s)
"Hello, #{s}\n"
end
module_function :foo
end

or

module Foo;end
def Foo.foo(s)
"Hello, #{s}\n"
end

Gary Wright

Gavin Kistner

On Apr 8, 5:05 pm, Thomas Hafner <tho...@hafner.NL.EU.ORG> wrote:
> how should I group some stateless functions into a module and use them
> in a very simple way without littering the namespace? E.g. if the
> module is ``Foo'' with at least one function foo, then I'd like to use
> that module in a way as simple like that:
>
> require 'Foo'
> puts Foo.foo("world")

module Foo
def self.foo( msg )