mysql install problems

walter

4/8/2007 3:29:00 PM

I'm trying to install ruby-mysql 2.7.3 win32 but can't get it working. I
tried using gem install mysql. it looks like it installed successfully, and
it's listed when i run gem q, but the first line in a simple program that
accesses mysql return undefined method.

I tried running ruby extconf.rb - even in the mysql\lib directory, but it
won't create the make file. error there is can't find main() in libmysql.lib

can anyone help getting this installed?

dbi is just as difficult, but i'm not sure if dbi is even necessary.

4 Answers

ChrisKaelin

On 8 Apr., 17:29, "walter" <walter780@nos...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> I'm trying to install ruby-mysql 2.7.3 win32 but can't get it working. I
> tried using gem install mysql. it looks like it installed successfully, and
> it's listed when i run gem q, but the first line in a simple program that
> accesses mysql return undefined method.
>
> I tried running ruby extconf.rb - even in the mysql\lib directory, but it
> won't create the make file. error there is can't find main() in libmysql.lib
>
> can anyone help getting this installed?
>
> dbi is just as difficult, but i'm not sure if dbi is even necessary.

I'm not on my windows machine atm. But I remember having to copy
manually the mysql.dll into the ruby binary directory (c:\ruby\bin
for example). If you don't have the mysql.dll just search on
http://raa.ruby-lang.org/list.rhtml?name=mysq.... But as I
said, I'm not quite sure it's the right one, as I'm not at the office
(lucky me).

Greetings

Chris

walter

I got it working! I used the file ruby-mysql-0.2.6.tar.gz from
tommy@tmtm.org. I installed the mysql.rb in the dir ruby\lib\ruby\1.8

I also had to configure mysql to use old password format using the mysql
administrator program.

The setup and install ruby programs for ruby-mysql seem to be set up for
unix, not windows. ignore those programs and you're in

thanks for the help.

"ChrisKaelin" <ck.stonedragon@gmail.com> wrote in message
> On 8 Apr., 17:29, "walter" <walter780@nos...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>> I'm trying to install ruby-mysql 2.7.3 win32 but can't get it working. I
>> tried using gem install mysql. it looks like it installed successfully,
>> and
>> it's listed when i run gem q, but the first line in a simple program that
>> accesses mysql return undefined method.
>>
>> I tried running ruby extconf.rb - even in the mysql\lib directory, but it
>> won't create the make file. error there is can't find main() in
>> libmysql.lib
>>
>> can anyone help getting this installed?
>>
>> dbi is just as difficult, but i'm not sure if dbi is even necessary.
>
> I'm not on my windows machine atm. But I remember having to copy
> manually the mysql.dll into the ruby binary directory (c:\ruby\bin
> for example). If you don't have the mysql.dll just search on
> http://raa.ruby-lang.org/list.rhtml?name=mysq.... But as I
> said, I'm not quite sure it's the right one, as I'm not at the office
> (lucky me).
>
> Greetings
>
> Chris

Phillip Gawlowski

walter wrote:
> I got it working! I used the file ruby-mysql-0.2.6.tar.gz from
> tommy@tmtm.org. I installed the mysql.rb in the dir ruby\lib\ruby\1.8
>
> I also had to configure mysql to use old password format using the mysql
> administrator program.
>
> The setup and install ruby programs for ruby-mysql seem to be set up for
> unix, not windows. ignore those programs and you're in

For future reference:
http://rubyforge.org/frs/?group_id=1598&relea...
This provides a precompiled MySQL binary (which is available in the
MySQL/bin folder, too, IIRC, if you have MySQL installed).

Or just install the Win32 variants of gems. You'll run into the same
issues with other libraries requiring C-extensions. Blame MS for that.

Furthermore: IIRC, the password should work without problems, if your
mysql-binary is built with MySQL 5.x

--
Phillip "CynicalRyan" Gawlowski
http://cynicalryan....

Rule of Open-Source Programming #7:

Release early, release often. Clean compilation is optional.

walter

now that i got this one running, i'll try to get the mswin version running.
I'm new to ruby, and am struggling somewhat, but what i see i like. There
was so many versions, i was lost for awhile. gem install mysql lists 4 or 5,
and i had no idea what i needed. i'll keep plugging away...