"Portable" Ruby

Michael T. Richter

4/8/2007 2:24:00 PM

I'm wondering if it's feasible at all to package a Ruby environment as a
"Portable App" (along the lines of http://www.portab...). The
idea is to have a fully-functional Ruby environment that executes
entirely from removable media leaving no footprint whatsoever on the
machine it's run on -- no registry entries, no configuration files, etc.

What I really want this for is a portable JunebugWiki that I can run
from my USB stick without worrying about whether or not (the latter
being far more likely!) Ruby is installed on the machines I'd use it on.

--
Michael T. Richter <ttmrichter@gmail.com> (GoogleTalk:
ttmrichter@gmail.com)

David Mullet

On Apr 8, 10:23 am, "Michael T. Richter" <ttmrich...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm wondering if it's feasible at all to package a Ruby environment as a
> "Portable App" (along the lines ofhttp://www.portab...). The
> idea is to have a fully-functional Ruby environment that executes
> entirely from removable media leaving no footprint whatsoever on the
> machine it's run on -- no registry entries, no configuration files, etc.
>
> What I really want this for is a portable JunebugWiki that I can run
> from my USB stick without worrying about whether or not (the latter
> being far more likely!) Ruby is installed on the machines I'd use it on.
>
> --
> Michael T. Richter <ttmrich...@gmail.com> (GoogleTalk:
> ttmrich...@gmail.com)
> In his errors a man is true to type. Observe the errors and you will
> know the man. (???)
>
> signature.asc
> 1KDownload

RubyScript2Exe might meet your needs:

http://www.erikveen.dds.nl/rubyscript2exe/...

David

http://rubyonwindows.bl...

barjunk

On Apr 8, 6:23 am, "Michael T. Richter" <ttmrich...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm wondering if it's feasible at all to package a Ruby environment as a
> "Portable App" (along the lines ofhttp://www.portab...). The
> idea is to have a fully-functional Ruby environment that executes
> entirely from removable media leaving no footprint whatsoever on the
> machine it's run on -- no registry entries, no configuration files, etc.
>
> What I really want this for is a portable JunebugWiki that I can run
> from my USB stick without worrying about whether or not (the latter
> being far more likely!) Ruby is installed on the machines I'd use it on.
>
> --
> Michael T. Richter <ttmrich...@gmail.com> (GoogleTalk:
> ttmrich...@gmail.com)
> In his errors a man is true to type. Observe the errors and you will
> know the man. (???)
>
> signature.asc
> 1KDownload

Couldn't you do something similar to InstantRails? I think it is
windows only...but maybe it will give you ideas.

Mike B.

Richard Conroy

On 4/9/07, barjunk <barjunk@attglobal.net> wrote:
> On Apr 8, 6:23 am, "Michael T. Richter" <ttmrich...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I'm wondering if it's feasible at all to package a Ruby environment as a
> > "Portable App" (along the lines ofhttp://www.portab...). The
> > idea is to have a fully-functional Ruby environment that executes
> > entirely from removable media leaving no footprint whatsoever on the
> > machine it's run on -- no registry entries, no configuration files, etc.
> >
> > What I really want this for is a portable JunebugWiki that I can run
> > from my USB stick without worrying about whether or not (the latter
> > being far more likely!) Ruby is installed on the machines I'd use it on.
> >
> > --
> > Michael T. Richter <ttmrich...@gmail.com> (GoogleTalk:
> > ttmrich...@gmail.com)
> > In his errors a man is true to type. Observe the errors and you will
> > know the man. (???)
> >
> > signature.asc
> > 1KDownload
>

> Couldn't you do something similar to InstantRails? I think it is
> windows only...but maybe it will give you ideas.

Well PortableApps is windows only anyway unfortunately.

Some guy described how to here. He used InstantRails or a variant of it.

http://ruby.about.com/od/resources/ss/portabl...
http://ruby.about.com/od/resources/qt/portable...

Been meaning to do this kind of thing myself. It could be very handy
for teaching Ruby/Rails. Y'know bring your educational install around with
you and such.

Marcin Raczkowski

On Sunday 08 April 2007 14:23, Michael T. Richter wrote:
> I'm wondering if it's feasible at all to package a Ruby environment as a
> "Portable App" (along the lines of http://www.portab...). The
> idea is to have a fully-functional Ruby environment that executes
> entirely from removable media leaving no footprint whatsoever on the
> machine it's run on -- no registry entries, no configuration files, etc.
>
> What I really want this for is a portable JunebugWiki that I can run
> from my USB stick without worrying about whether or not (the latter
> being far more likely!) Ruby is installed on the machines I'd use it on.
Google for:

ruby2exe
instantRails

also you can just copy full ruby interpreter to your usb stick, but if you
want wiki instantrails is much faster/easier