Question to all you newbies (others welcome

SonOfLilit

4/7/2007 4:05:00 PM

Hello everyone,

As you hopefully know, I founded http://RubyMentor.rub..., a
project that offers volunteer help to Ruby newbies.

My question is where would it be most effective to advertise
RubyMentor? What are the places newbies go to first when deciding to
learn Ruby these days? How can I make sure that every newbie knows
RubyMentor exists, just like they probably know that the Pickaxe I is
free online and that Rails has some very helpful screencasts?

Any feedback appreciated from newbie and veteran alike,

Aur Saraf

39 Answers

shawn bright

The first place i looked was google, then signed up for this list and
a couple of help forums. So, i guess, get a good page rank with
google.
i think your idea is a cool one. btw

sk

On 4/7/07, SonOfLilit <sonoflilit@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> As you hopefully know, I founded http://RubyMentor.rub..., a
> project that offers volunteer help to Ruby newbies.
>
> My question is where would it be most effective to advertise
> RubyMentor? What are the places newbies go to first when deciding to
> learn Ruby these days? How can I make sure that every newbie knows
> RubyMentor exists, just like they probably know that the Pickaxe I is
> free online and that Rails has some very helpful screencasts?
>
> Any feedback appreciated from newbie and veteran alike,
>

> Aur Saraf

SonOfLilit

Page rank for what keywords?

Page rank means having people link to it...

Anybody with a relevant site willing to help with that?

Aur

On 4/7/07, shawn bright <nephish@gmail.com> wrote:
> The first place i looked was google, then signed up for this list and
> a couple of help forums. So, i guess, get a good page rank with
> google.
> i think your idea is a cool one. btw
>
> sk
>
> On 4/7/07, SonOfLilit <sonoflilit@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hello everyone,
> >
> > As you hopefully know, I founded http://RubyMentor.rub..., a
> > project that offers volunteer help to Ruby newbies.
> >
> > My question is where would it be most effective to advertise
> > RubyMentor? What are the places newbies go to first when deciding to
> > learn Ruby these days? How can I make sure that every newbie knows
> > RubyMentor exists, just like they probably know that the Pickaxe I is
> > free online and that Rails has some very helpful screencasts?
> >
> > Any feedback appreciated from newbie and veteran alike,
> >

> > Aur Saraf

Simon Rozet

2007/4/7, SonOfLilit <sonoflilit@gmail.com>:

> As you hopefully know, I founded http://RubyMentor.rub..., a
> project that offers volunteer help to Ruby newbies.
>
> My question is where would it be most effective to advertise
> RubyMentor?

Your project is really interesting. IMHO that's the better way to
learn something. I think Ruby is the only language with a mentor
concept. So, ruby-lang.org could use it as a marketing argument. imho
ruby-lang.org is the better way to advertise about it.
"Ruby is only programming language with one-to-one mentor helping
people to learn"
That's a poor sentence, but you get an idea :-)

--
Simon Rozet, http://aton...

Robert Dober

On 4/7/07, Simon Rozet <simon.rozet@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2007/4/7, SonOfLilit <sonoflilit@gmail.com>:
>
> > As you hopefully know, I founded http://RubyMentor.rub..., a
> > project that offers volunteer help to Ruby newbies.
> >
> > My question is where would it be most effective to advertise
> > RubyMentor?
>
> Your project is really interesting. IMHO that's the better way to
> learn something. I think Ruby is the only language with a mentor
> concept. So, ruby-lang.org could use it as a marketing argument. imho
> ruby-lang.org is the better way to advertise about it.
> "Ruby is only programming language with one-to-one mentor helping
> people to learn"
Hmm are we already there? I was contacted once but it was completely
outisde my expertise, I tried to find an interested mentor but there
was nobody, no big deal, we tried at least;)
But it might be wise to get some feedback before boldly going where no
one has gone before;) e.g. stating thar Ruby has a Mentor Concept,
which seems slightly exaggerated to me, right now, any different
opions about this ?
Cheers
Robert
<snip>

--
You see things; and you say Why?
-- George Bernard Shaw

Chris Carter

On 4/7/07, Robert Dober <robert.dober@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 4/7/07, Simon Rozet <simon.rozet@gmail.com> wrote:
> > 2007/4/7, SonOfLilit <sonoflilit@gmail.com>:
> >
> > > As you hopefully know, I founded http://RubyMentor.rub..., a
> > > project that offers volunteer help to Ruby newbies.
> > >
> > > My question is where would it be most effective to advertise
> > > RubyMentor?
> >
> > Your project is really interesting. IMHO that's the better way to
> > learn something. I think Ruby is the only language with a mentor
> > concept. So, ruby-lang.org could use it as a marketing argument. imho
> > ruby-lang.org is the better way to advertise about it.
> > "Ruby is only programming language with one-to-one mentor helping
> > people to learn"
> Hmm are we already there? I was contacted once but it was completely
> outisde my expertise, I tried to find an interested mentor but there
> was nobody, no big deal, we tried at least;)
> But it might be wise to get some feedback before boldly going where no
> one has gone before;) e.g. stating thar Ruby has a Mentor Concept,
> which seems slightly exaggerated to me, right now, any different
> opions about this ?
> Cheers
> Robert
> <snip>
> >
> > --
> > Simon Rozet, http://aton...
> >

> --
> You see things; and you say Why?
> But I dream things that never were; and I say Why not?
> -- George Bernard Shaw

I agree, we should wait a bit, and see how it works before we start
advertising on ruby-lang.org. The wiki leads me to believe that it
has only actually happened once. It would be neat if we could get it
on maybe the mailing list subscribe page, and on ruby-forum, as just a
little hint. something like Remember: There is a community driven
one-on-one mentor program you can sign up for, try it! It's easy!

--
Chris Carter
concentrationstudios.com

Michael Brooks

SonOfLilit wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> As you hopefully know, I founded http://RubyMentor.rub..., a
> project that offers volunteer help to Ruby newbies.
>
> My question is where would it be most effective to advertise
> RubyMentor? What are the places newbies go to first when deciding to
> learn Ruby these days? How can I make sure that every newbie knows
> RubyMentor exists, just like they probably know that the Pickaxe I is
> free online and that Rails has some very helpful screencasts?
>
> Any feedback appreciated from newbie and veteran alike,
>

> Aur Saraf

Hello Aur:

About 6 weeks ago, when I started looking at Ruby, I went to Google and
typed "ruby programming". The first hit was the
http://www.ruby... page and I clicking on it. So, I'd suggest
placing something on that page.

On that page there is a "Get Started, it?s easy!" section on the top
right. I'd suggest putting a "Get Help", "Get Help from a RubyMentor"
or something like that in that section.

I didn't trip over the other Ruby sites and books like Pickaxe until
many hours or days later because I was busy looking at all the stuff on
the ruby-lang.org page.

Michael

Gavin Kistner

On Apr 7, 10:04 am, SonOfLilit <sonofli...@gmail.com> wrote:
> My question is where would it be most effective to advertise
> RubyMentor? What are the places newbies go to first when deciding to
> learn Ruby these days? How can I make sure that every newbie knows
> RubyMentor exists, just like they probably know that the Pickaxe I is
> free online and that Rails has some very helpful screencasts?

As so many new users seem to post to the mailing list/discussion group/
newsgroup via http://www.ruby-..., I would see if you can get
it on there.

ChrisKaelin

I totally agree, what people say about a single-entry-point: ruby-
lang.org. We just love, when we have one instance, where we can start
(gentoo had this problem too years ago, and many open-source-projects
also suffer of too many websites).
Remember, we have raa, ruby-doc, ruby-quiz etc.etc. A primary website
like ruby-lang.org should also be used to bundle some of them or at
least link to those pages in an appropriate way... An open wiki for
everything would also be very useful, as we could put some tutorials
for other ruby-related topics in there (tk, sdl, mysql)

James Britt

ChrisKaelin wrote:
> An open wiki for
> everything would also be very useful, as we could put some tutorials
> for other ruby-related topics in there (tk, sdl, mysql)

RubyGarden.org has been hosting the Ruby community wiki for, what, 7
years now?

Shame more people don't know to use it.

--
James Britt

"If you don't write it down, it never happened."
- (Unknown)

Jeff

On Apr 7, 4:30 pm, James Britt <james.br...@gmail.com> wrote:
> RubyGarden.org has been hosting the Ruby community wiki for, what, 7
> years now?
>
> Shame more people don't know to use it.

Hi James,

Well, actually the rubygarden.org home page's main article is dated
from 2005, which makes it look likes nobody cares about the site
anymore.

The "New Ruby Users Survey", the top link in the right-hand sidebar,
has a different css applied to it and seems to be from 2004. For
being the top link, these two facts deter users from thinking they've
found a good place for Ruby information.

The second link, "FAQ" probably a popular thing for newbies to click
on, is broken.

The "Ruby Wiki" link, the third link, leads to the wiki and it looks
really promising... but then the very first Getting Started link
gives me a redirect notice that does not resolve automatically...
again not confidence-inspiring.

Same goes for the next link, the "Ruby Nuby" information.

That's when I stopped trying to use rubygarden.org, and perhaps that's
been the experience for others as well. I don't think it's because I
"don't know how to use it." :-)

Please don't take this the wrong way... I bet there's a lot of good
information on the wiki, and obviously many people have donated time
and effort to it. But at least right now, it doesn't seem to be a
good resource for new Ruby users.

Just my two cents.

Jeff
softiesonrails.com