Re: Subversion wrapper in Ruby

Brian Candler

4/4/2007 8:22:00 AM

On Wed, Apr 04, 2007 at 05:26:12AM +0900, Daniel Schierbeck wrote:
> I've begun developing a small library that wraps the command-line
> Subversion commands, so that you can call SVN.copy(src, dest, :message
> => 'chunky bacon') etc. These will only cover the methods Subversion
> directly supports.
>
> The reason I'm making this library is actually that I want to have Rake
> tasks that automate tagging, branching, etc. of my repository.
> Currently, the most advanced thing I have is this:
>
> SVN::TagReleaseTask.new do |t|
> t.repository = 'svn://svn.example.org/bacon'
> t.version = '1.2.3'
> end
>
> Calling `rake svn:tag:release' will then issue the following to the
> command line:
>
> svn copy svn://svn.example.org/bacon/trunk
> svn://svn.example.org/bacon/tags/release-1.2.3 --message "tagging
> release 1.2.3"

As an aside: there are direct Ruby bindings into the underlying libsvn, so
it's possible to talk to a SVN repository directly (local or remote) without
spawning an external command.

Unfortunately libsvn doesn't seem to be well documented, especially for
remote access. A couple of interesting posts are here:
http://agylen.com/2006/07/14/using-the-ruby-bindings-for-s...
http://www.oneofthewolves.com/2007/03/06/ruby-subversion-bindings-finally-some-docu...

So you're probably right to use the command-line interface.

Regards,

Brian.

2 Answers

Colanth

On Tue, 19 Apr 2011 09:33:15 -0700 (PDT), Michael Ejercito
<mejercit@hotmail.com> wrote:

>On Apr 18, 6:41?pm, chibiabos <c...@nospam.com> wrote:
>> In article
>> <ed90ccb6-48c1-442f-bf79-ffbfbeced...@z7g2000prh.googlegroups.com>,
>> Michael Ejercito<mejer...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>> >http://www.israpundit.com/archi...

>> > Is Allah an Evil Son of a Bitch?

>> To put the question into proper perspective, a scholarly paper is
>> needed about the evilness and son of a bitchiness of Lex Luther.

> Why?

Because Lex Luther (arch-enemy of Superman) is as real as Allah.
--
All our taglines are currently busy, one will be with you shortly.

Michelle Malkin

On Apr 18, 9:41 pm, chibiabos <c...@nospam.com> wrote:
> In article
> <ed90ccb6-48c1-442f-bf79-ffbfbeced...@z7g2000prh.googlegroups.com>,
>
> Michael Ejercito <mejer...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> >http://www.israpundit.com/archi...
>
> > Is Allah an Evil Son of a Bitch?
>
> To put the question into proper perspective, a scholarly paper is
> needed about the evilness and son of a bitchiness of Lex Luther.

Right on, chib! At least the people who created
Lex Luther gave him a sense of humor. You
never see that in human created ubergods.
Maybe someone should do a paper on ubergods
with no sense of humor and their humorless creators.