Test::Unit Reports

aidy

Does anyone know what happened to these? The below link is not valid.

http://rubyforge.org/projects/te...

Have these been superseded or is there some other HTML reports I can
use with
Test::Unit.

aidy

28 Answers

Kis Gellért Imre

Hello,

i see in rubyforge this URL:
http://rubyforge.org/snippet/browse.php?by=lang&a...

what is the php tag in the url?
if this is a ruby-website, why they are run php, not ruby?

> Does anyone know what happened to these? The below link is not valid.
>
> http://rubyforge.org/projects/te...
>
> Have these been superseded or is there some other HTML reports I can
> use with
> Test::Unit.
>
> aidy

Lyle Johnson

On 4/2/07, Kis Gellért Imre <kis.gellert@hev.ahh.gov.hu> wrote:

> i see in rubyforge this URL:
> http://rubyforge.org/snippet/browse.php?by=lang&a...
>
> what is the php tag in the url?
> if this is a ruby-website, why they are run php, not ruby?

I think the short answer is that, at the time RubyForge was
established, the most appropriate software for running a site like it
was GForge -- which happens to be written in PHP (and other languages,
as I recall). There are at least a few possible Ruby-based
replacements (like RedMine?) that are now available, but I can only
imagine how much of a task it would be to migrate all of the existing
projects hosted by RubyForge to a different system.

By the way -- what language is your e-mail client written in? You
*did* use a Ruby-based e-mail program to post your message, didn't
you? ;)

John Joyce

You'll find that tons of Ruby sites use PHP based software. Why? KISS.
You don't always have to build it. If a good solution exists that you
already know how to use, it's not a bad idea.
There are still PHP sites built with Perl...
Doesn't matter. All you're seeing is the file extension. It could
be .bob as long as the server knows what to do with it, like sending
it to the appropriate interpreter. You'll notice, or not notice, that
many Rails sites and PHP sites serve pages with no file extension,
because the browser does not care!

On Apr 3, 2007, at 12:11 AM, Kis Gellért Imre wrote:

> Hello,
>
> i see in rubyforge this URL: http://rubyforge.or...
> browse.php?by=lang&lang=17
>
> what is the php tag in the url?
> if this is a ruby-website, why they are run php, not ruby?

James Britt

Lyle Johnson wrote:
> On 4/2/07, Kis Gellért Imre <kis.gellert@hev.ahh.gov.hu> wrote:
>
>> i see in rubyforge this URL:
>> http://rubyforge.org/snippet/browse.php?by=lang&a...
>>
>> what is the php tag in the url?
>> if this is a ruby-website, why they are run php, not ruby?
>
> I think the short answer is that, at the time RubyForge was
> established, the most appropriate software for running a site like it
> was GForge -- which happens to be written in PHP (and other languages,
> as I recall). There are at least a few possible Ruby-based
> replacements (like RedMine?) that are now available, but I can only
> imagine how much of a task it would be to migrate all of the existing
> projects hosted by RubyForge to a different system.
>
> By the way -- what language is your e-mail client written in? You
> *did* use a Ruby-based e-mail program to post your message, didn't
> you? ;)

But, *horror*, isn't the ruby-talk mailing list powered by Python?

James Britt

Chad Perrin

On Tue, Apr 03, 2007 at 06:29:07AM +0900, James Britt wrote:

> But, *horror*, isn't the ruby-talk mailing list powered by Python?

As long as I don't have to look at the source code, it's not all that
horrifying.

--
CCD CopyWrite Chad Perrin [ http://ccd.ap... ]

Tom Copeland

On Tue, 2007-04-03 at 00:25 +0900, Lyle Johnson wrote:
> On 4/2/07, Kis Gellért Imre <kis.gellert@hev.ahh.gov.hu> wrote:
>
> > i see in rubyforge this URL:
> > http://rubyforge.org/snippet/browse.php?by=langâ...
> >
> > what is the php tag in the url?
> > if this is a ruby-website, why they are run php, not ruby?
>
> I think the short answer is that, at the time RubyForge was
> established, the most appropriate software for running a site like it
> was GForge -- which happens to be written in PHP (and other languages,
> as I recall). There are at least a few possible Ruby-based
> replacements (like RedMine?) that are now available, but I can only
> imagine how much of a task it would be to migrate all of the existing
> projects hosted by RubyForge to a different system.

What Lyle said.

Yours,

Tom

Chad Perrin

On Tue, Apr 03, 2007 at 03:10:51PM +0900, Peter Cooper wrote:
> On 4/2/07, Kis Gell??rt Imre <kis.gellert@hev.ahh.gov.hu> wrote:
> >
> >Hello,
> >
> >i see in rubyforge this URL:
> >http://rubyforge.org/snippet/browse.php?by=lang&a...
> >
> >what is the php tag in the url?
> >if this is a ruby-website, why they are run php, not ruby?
>
> I sometimes wonder why non English-speakers create programming languages
> that are in English.

Historical reasons.

Is there any other type of reason for anything?

> But then I realize how totally fun it would be if all of Ruby's base classes
> and syntax were in Japanese. ;-)

It would either finally impel me to get back to learning Japanese, or
keep me from learning Ruby. I'd give it about 50% either way.

--
CCD CopyWrite Chad Perrin [ http://ccd.ap... ]
"The measure of a man's real character is what he would do

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky

Chad Perrin wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 03, 2007 at 03:10:51PM +0900, Peter Cooper wrote:
>
>> On 4/2/07, Kis Gell??rt Imre <kis.gellert@hev.ahh.gov.hu> wrote:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> i see in rubyforge this URL:
>>> http://rubyforge.org/snippet/browse.php?by=lang&a...
>>>
>>> what is the php tag in the url?
>>> if this is a ruby-website, why they are run php, not ruby?
>>>
>> I sometimes wonder why non English-speakers create programming languages
>> that are in English.

They don't. Non *native* English speakers create programming languages
with English words in them, but they have to know a little English
(begin, end, do, call, if, then, etc.)

> Historical reasons.
>
> Is there any other type of reason for anything?

I recall seeing that line in either AWDR or the Pickaxe. :)

>> But then I realize how totally fun it would be if all of Ruby's base classes
>> and syntax were in Japanese. ;-)
>>

> It would either finally impel me to get back to learning Japanese, or
> keep me from learning Ruby. I'd give it about 50% either way.

I struggled through two years of Russian in college because someone had
told me that the Russians were ahead of the USA in math and computer
science. Hell, it turned out that they were still using vacuum tubes and
the only thing they knew how to do better than we did was probability
theory. I should have learned French instead -- or Japanese.

http://borasky-research.blo...

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:
> I struggled through two years of Russian in college because someone
> had told me that the Russians were ahead of the USA in math and
> computer science. Hell, it turned out that they were still using
> vacuum tubes and the only thing they knew how to do better than we did
> was probability theory. I should have learned French instead -- or
> Japanese.
P.S.: If you're near a decent university library, look up a book on a
supposedly "earth-shaking" programming language the Russians invented
called Lyapas. If it's possible to have a language more bizarre than
Unlambda or Intercal or Malbolge ... this one is it. But computer
scientists told us it was wonderful for some reason. Go figure.

P.P.S: I actually tried to create a language that looks a *lot* like
Unlambda in the 1970s. I really thought it was useful, not some bizarre
computer scientist's way of making unreadable code. I wonder what would
have happened if I had tried to publish it?

http://borasky-research.blo...

Chad Perrin

On Wed, Apr 04, 2007 at 10:51:40AM +0900, M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:
> Chad Perrin wrote:
> >On Tue, Apr 03, 2007 at 03:10:51PM +0900, Peter Cooper wrote:
> >
> >Historical reasons.
> >
> >Is there any other type of reason for anything?
> >
> I recall seeing that line in either AWDR or the Pickaxe. :)

It was the Pickaxe -- good eye. I paraphrased, of course.

I note, by the way, that my randomly selected signature block below is
remarkably well suited to this topic.

> >>But then I realize how totally fun it would be if all of Ruby's base
> >>classes
> >>and syntax were in Japanese. ;-)
> >
> >It would either finally impel me to get back to learning Japanese, or
> >keep me from learning Ruby. I'd give it about 50% either way.
> >
> I struggled through two years of Russian in college because someone had
> told me that the Russians were ahead of the USA in math and computer
> science. Hell, it turned out that they were still using vacuum tubes and
> the only thing they knew how to do better than we did was probability
> theory. I should have learned French instead -- or Japanese.

I should have kept practicing Japanese after that last Japanese class.
Now, I don't even remember how to ask for a restroom. I get a kick out
of watching Japanese movies with subtitles and marvelling at the wide
disparity between translation and original Japanese, though, based on
the bits I still understand.

--
CCD CopyWrite Chad Perrin [ http://ccd.ap... ]
"The ability to quote is a serviceable