Moving batches of files with Rake

Gavin Kistner

3/30/2007 6:17:00 PM

I'm comparing Rake and NAnt for our pseudo-build process needs. I've
written the NAnt build file, and now I'm trying to port it (directly
at first) to Rake.

NAnt has a 'move' task for moving batches of files to a new directory.
By default, if you list specific files that don't exist, they are
ignored (not errored). Here's an example of the NAnt section I'm
trying to recreate:

<move todir="${path.intermediate}">
<fileset>
<include name="${dae}" />
<include name="${presentation_name}_org.bgf" />
</fileset>
</move>
<move todir="${path.data}">
<fileset basedir="${path.dae}">
<include name="${presentation_name}.bgf" />
<include name="${presentation_name}.nif" />
<include name="*.bvs" />
<include name="*.lua" />
</fileset>
</move>

Is there a built-in method for doing something like this (using
FileSet perhaps) that I'm not seeing in Rake? If not, does someone
else have a pre-built method that does this?

21 Answers

Jim Weirich

Gavin Kistner wrote:
> I'm comparing Rake and NAnt for our pseudo-build process needs. I've
> written the NAnt build file, and now I'm trying to port it (directly
> at first) to Rake.
>
> NAnt has a 'move' task for moving batches of files to a new directory.
> By default, if you list specific files that don't exist, they are
> ignored (not errored). Here's an example of the NAnt section I'm
> trying to recreate:
>
> <move todir="${path.intermediate}">
> <fileset>
> <include name="${dae}" />
> <include name="${presentation_name}_org.bgf" />
> </fileset>
> </move>
> <move todir="${path.data}">
> <fileset basedir="${path.dae}">
> <include name="${presentation_name}.bgf" />
> <include name="${presentation_name}.nif" />
> <include name="*.bvs" />
> <include name="*.lua" />
> </fileset>
> </move>
>
> Is there a built-in method for doing something like this (using
> FileSet perhaps) that I'm not seeing in Rake? If not, does someone
> else have a pre-built method that does this?

Use a file list to build up your list of files. Eg.

DAE_FILES = FileList[DAE, "#{PRESENTATION_NAME}_org.pgf"]

Then just use a mv command. Unfortunately, using mv with a file list
seems to require an explicit 'to_a' call. That shouldn't be the case
(I'll see if I can fix that in an update).

Example:

task :move_files do
mv DAE_FILES.to_a, PATH_INTERMEDIATE
end

If you don't want errors on non-existent files, you can filter them out:

task :move_files do
mv DAE_FILES.select { |fn| File.exist?(fn) }.to_a,
PATH_INTERMEDIATE
end

Wordy, but it works.

-- Jim Weirich

Jim Weirich

Jim Weirich wrote:
[...]
> (I'll see if I can fix that in an update).
I just created a beta version of Rake that supports this. You can now
say:

task :move_files do
mv DAE_FILES.existing, PATH_INTERMEDIATE
end

FileLists now support an 'existing' method which returns a filelist
containing on ly existing file names. (There is also an existing!
method that does the same thing to the existing file list). Also,
FileLists can now be passed directly to FileUtils methods just like
arrays.

If you want to try the beta version, do:

gem install rake --source http://onestepback.or...

-- Jim Weirich

RichTravsky

patient WA-2349-06 male Caucasian, paranoid-schizophrenic Dinkie Bill wrote:
> Rich Trolsky wrote:
> > patient WA-2349-06 male Caucasian, paranoid-schizophrenic Billie Boner wrote:

> > > The Bush administration was trying to deal with the Taliban to get them
> > > to kick out bin Laden. You can't explain why you demand endless
> >
> > UH, no:
> >
> Now you are just being dishonest. You know I've refuted the below claim
> with actual evidence from government websites.

That the money was tied to the Taliban kicking out Osama Been Forgotten? LOL

> > http://www.cato.org/pub_display.php?p...
> > August 2, 2002
> > How Washington Funded the Taliban
> > Yet the Bush administration did more than praise the Taliban's proclaimed ban of
> > opium cultivation. In mid-May, 2001, Secretary of State Colin Powell announced a
> > $43 million grant to Afghanistan in addition to the humanitarian aid the United
> > States had long been providing to agencies assisting Afghan refugees.
> > There was already ample evidence in the spring of 2001 that the Taliban was giving
> > sanctuary to Osama bin Laden's al-Qaeda network that had bombed two U.S. embassies
> > in East Africa.
> >
> > > diplomacy in Iraq but also demand an instant invasion by Bush of
> > > Afghanistan the day after he's got in office, but don't demand the same
> > > from Clinton even after eight years in office. Maybe it's you who can't
> > > answer.

RichTravsky

"Bill Bonde ( 'Hi ho' )" wrote:
> Rich Travsky wrote:

> > > How are you going to invade Afghanistan if you don't have a plan?
> >
> > Why is a plan needed?
> >
> See "Bay of Pigs".

They had a plan. Your point?

http://www.historyofcuba.com/history/baypigs...
Vice President Richard Nixon was devoted to the idea of opposing Castro as early
as April 1959, when Castro visited the U.S. as a guest of the American Society of
Newspaper Editors. "If he's not a communist," said Nixon, "he certainly acts like
one." On March 17 1960, President Eisenhower approved a CIA plan titled "A Program
of Covert Action against the Castro Regime."

> > The US had reason to go after bin Laden since at least
> > 1998 when the US embassies in Africa were attacked. This could be just
> > another reason to do so, no reason to wait.
> >
> > Your words. Snicker
> >
> Clinton was president in 1998, you nut.

This went whoosh over your head, didn't it?

"no reason to wait" - the keeper!

RichTravsky

patient WA-2349-06 male Caucasian, paranoid-schizophrenic BooBoo Bill wrote:
> Rich Trolsky wrote:

> > > The US had been hit repeatedly by terrorist attacks from bin Laden. For
> > > example the USS Cole in Yemen was bombed by a suicide attacker using a
> > > small boat. That was the self same justification you claim Bush
> > > should've used to finish off bin Laden in his first eight months on the
> > > job. So why wasn't it enough for Clinton to at least ask congress for
> > > support to deal with the Taliban who were protecting bin Laden and to
> > > get bin Laden? That's another reasonable question you can't really
> > > answer, isn't it?
> >
> > Hmmm. Chimpoleon getting elected did not make those events disappear.
> >
> > Why didn't Chimpoleon do something about them? Why wasn't it enough for
> > him to at least ask congress for support to deal with the Taliban who were
> > protecting bin Laden and to get bin Laden? That's another reasonable question
> > you can't really answer, isn't it?
> >
> The Bush administration was trying to deal with the Taliban to get them
> to kick out bin Laden. You can't explain why you demand endless

No, they weren't. Prove it.

> diplomacy in Iraq but also demand an instant invasion by Bush of
> Afghanistan the day after he's got in office, but don't demand the same
> from Clinton even after eight years in office. Maybe it's you who can't
> answer.

Bill Bonde { ''Well, boys, I reckon this is it, nuclear combat toe to toe with the Roosskies'')

Rich Travesty wrote:

> "Bill Bonde ( 'Hi ho' )" wrote:
> > Rich Travsky wrote:

> > > Why is a plan needed?
> > >
> > See "Bay of Pigs".
>
> They had a plan. Your point?

"They" being the previous administration. I've explained this to you a
dozen damn times. The previous administration had a plan which JFK acted
about four months after taking office. He decided while the plan was
being executed that it was a mistake, in other words he'd not got a plan
that he had properly vetted. So that gives Bush *at least* four months
to develop a plan before you can get on his case.

> http://www.historyofcuba.com/history/baypigs...
> Vice President Richard Nixon was devoted to the idea of opposing Castro as early
> as April 1959, when Castro visited the U.S. as a guest of the American Society of
> Newspaper Editors. "If he's not a communist," said Nixon, "he certainly acts like
> one." On March 17 1960, President Eisenhower approved a CIA plan titled "A Program
> of Covert Action against the Castro Regime."
>
> > > The US had reason to go after bin Laden since at least
> > > 1998 when the US embassies in Africa were attacked. This could be just
> > > another reason to do so, no reason to wait.
> > >
> > > Your words. Snicker
> > >
> > Clinton was president in 1998, you nut.
>
> This went whoosh over your head, didn't it?
>
> "no reason to wait" - the keeper!

Is taking things out of context some sort of proof of what you are
claiming or just of your stupidity?

--
"Throw me that lipstick, darling, I wanna redo my stigmata."

+-Jennifer Saunders, "Absolutely Fabulous"

Rich Trolsky wrote:

> patient WA-2349-06 male Caucasian, paranoid-schizophrenic Dinkie Bill wrote:
> > Rich Trolsky wrote:

> > > UH, no:
> > >
> > Now you are just being dishonest. You know I've refuted the below claim
> > with actual evidence from government websites.
>
> That the money was tied to the Taliban kicking out Osama Been Forgotten? LOL

I posted numerous cites proving that this money was given to
international aid organizations for help with the poor in Afghanistan
and that it was done under Clinton as well and you still come back with
these lies?

--

patient WA-2349-06 male Caucasian, paranoid-schizophrenic Boobie Bill wrote:
> Rich Travesty wrote:

> > > See "Bay of Pigs".
> >
> > They had a plan. Your point?
> >
> "They" being the previous administration. I've explained this to you a
> dozen damn times. The previous administration had a plan which JFK acted
> about four months after taking office. He decided while the plan was
> being executed that it was a mistake, in other words he'd not got a plan
> that he had properly vetted. So that gives Bush *at least* four months
> to develop a plan before you can get on his case.

So having a plan means nothing. Thanks! "no reason to wait" snicker

> > http://www.historyofcuba.com/history/baypigs...
> > Vice President Richard Nixon was devoted to the idea of opposing Castro as early
> > as April 1959, when Castro visited the U.S. as a guest of the American Society of
> > Newspaper Editors. "If he's not a communist," said Nixon, "he certainly acts like
> > one." On March 17 1960, President Eisenhower approved a CIA plan titled "A Program
> > of Covert Action against the Castro Regime."

> > > Clinton was president in 1998, you nut.
> >
> > This went whoosh over your head, didn't it?
> >
> > "no reason to wait" - the keeper!
> >
> Is taking things out of context some sort of proof of what you are
> claiming or just of your stupidity?

Oh DO explain the context! (this oughta be a laff)

RichTravsky

patient WA-2349-06 male Caucasian, paranoid-schizophrenic Bunghole Bill wrote:
> Rich Trolsky wrote:
> > patient WA-2349-06 male Caucasian, paranoid-schizophrenic Dinkie Bill wrote:

> > > Now you are just being dishonest. You know I've refuted the below claim
> > > with actual evidence from government websites.
> >
> > That the money was tied to the Taliban kicking out Osama Been Forgotten? LOL
> >
> I posted numerous cites proving that this money was given to
> international aid organizations for help with the poor in Afghanistan
> and that it was done under Clinton as well and you still come back with
> these lies?

ANd nothing to do with kicking out bin laden. You just contradicted yourself.
"The Bush administration was trying to deal with the Taliban to get them
to kick out bin Laden". Not to mention make a fool of yourself. The money
was given in 2001 - read below to guess who was president then, that's a good
boy...

Rich Trolsky wrote:

> patient WA-2349-06 male Caucasian, paranoid-schizophrenic Bunghole Bill wrote:
> > Rich Trolsky wrote:

> > > That the money was tied to the Taliban kicking out Osama Been Forgotten? LOL
> > >
> > I posted numerous cites proving that this money was given to
> > international aid organizations for help with the poor in Afghanistan
> > and that it was done under Clinton as well and you still come back with
> > these lies?
>
> ANd nothing to do with kicking out bin laden. You just contradicted yourself.
> "The Bush administration was trying to deal with the Taliban to get them
> to kick out bin Laden".

They were trying to get rid of bin Laden prior to 9/11. That was the
American policy.

> Not to mention make a fool of yourself. The money
> was given in 2001 - read below to guess who was president then, that's a good
> boy...

Are you defective? I've posted numerous cites that prove both Clinton
and Bush administrations provided aid to the people of Afghanistan
through internationally recognized humanitarian organizations. This aid
was supported by both Republicans and Democrats in congress under both
administrations. I'm not following why you want to keep lying about it?