ruby classifier

Ryo Fojiba

3/28/2007 4:00:00 AM

I tried installing ruby classifier using
sudo gem install classifier
but when I try to use classifier I get

irb(main):001:0> require "classifier"
LoadError: no such file to load -- classifier
from (irb):1:in `require'
from (irb):1

What am I doing wrong? Thank you.

Logan Capaldo

On 3/28/07, Ryo Fojiba <fojiba@gmail.com> wrote:
> I tried installing ruby classifier using
> sudo gem install classifier
> but when I try to use classifier I get
>
> irb(main):001:0> require "classifier"
> LoadError: no such file to load -- classifier
> from (irb):1:in `require'
> from (irb):1
>
> What am I doing wrong? Thank you.

Didja try
require 'rubygems'
require 'classifier'

?

Colin Brander

Ah, whoops, that part is fixed now. But when to add items to the LSI
classifier, I get:

>> lsi.add_item( "This is a turtle.", :turtle )
=> nil
>> lsi.add_item( "This is a cuckoo.", :cuckoo )
from
/usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/classifier-1.3.0/lib/classifier/lsi/content_node.rb:37:in
`initialize'

i.e., I get these "wrong number of arguments" errors as soon as I try to
add more than one item.

Any idea about this?

Logan Capaldo wrote:
> On 3/28/07, Ryo Fojiba <fojiba@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
> Didja try
> require 'rubygems'
> require 'classifier'
>
> ?

Dan Wade

I've spent a couple of days trying to get LSI Classifer to work. The
Bayesian library works fine (and is fun), but LSI is not working for me.
I have the GSL installed and the ruby-gsl wrapper, which seem to be
working fine. However, I get the same error as mentioned in the previous
post. The error occurs as the 2nd item is added to the index. It occurs
somewhere within the rebuild_index procedure. If auto_index is switched
off, items can be added infinitum. Please help :S

#--------test script

require 'rubygems'
require 'gsl'
require 'classifier'
require 'stemmer'

lsi = Classifier::LSI.new
strings = [ ["This text deals with dogs. Dogs.", :dog],
["This text involves dogs too. Dogs! ", :dog],
["This text revolves around cats. Cats.", :cat],
["This text also involves cats. Cats!", :cat],
["This text involves birds. Birds.",:bird ]]
strings.each {|x| lsi.add_item x.first, x.last}

lsi.search("dog", 3)
# returns => ["This text deals with dogs. Dogs.", "This text involves
dogs too
Dogs! ",
# "This text also involves cats. Cats!"]

lsi.find_related(strings[2], 2)
# returns => ["This text revolves around cats. Cats.", "This text also
involve
s cats. Cats!"]

lsi.classify "This text is also about dogs!"
# returns => :dog

#--------error

/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/classifier-1.3.0/lib/classifier/extensions/string.rb:6:Warning:
require_gem is obsolete. Use gem instead.
/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/classifier-1.3.0/lib/classifier/lsi/content_node.rb:37:in
`initialize': wrong number of arguments (1 for 0) (ArgumentError)
from
/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/classifier-1.3.0/lib/classifier/lsi/content_node.rb:37:in
`new'
from
/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/classifier-1.3.0/lib/classifier/lsi/content_node.rb:37:in
`raw_vector_with'
from
/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/classifier-1.3.0/lib/classifier/lsi.rb:123:in
`build_index'
from
/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/classifier-1.3.0/lib/classifier/lsi.rb:123:in
`collect'
from
/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/classifier-1.3.0/lib/classifier/lsi.rb:123:in
`build_index'
from
/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/classifier-1.3.0/lib/classifier/lsi.rb:65:in
`add_item'
from lsitest.rb:12
from lsitest.rb:12:in `each'
from lsitest.rb:12

Dan

Colin Brander wrote:
> Ah, whoops, that part is fixed now. But when to add items to the LSI
> classifier, I get:
>
>>> lsi.add_item( "This is a turtle.", :turtle )
> => nil
>>> lsi.add_item( "This is a cuckoo.", :cuckoo )
> ArgumentError: wrong number of arguments (1 for 0)
> from
> /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/classifier-1.3.0/lib/classifier/lsi/content_node.rb:37:in
> `initialize'
>
> i.e., I get these "wrong number of arguments" errors as soon as I try to
> add more than one item.
>
> Any idea about this?
>

> Logan Capaldo wrote:
>> On 3/28/07, Ryo Fojiba <fojiba@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>> Didja try
>> require 'rubygems'
>> require 'classifier'
>>
>> ?

Cameron McBride

Dan and Colin,

The current version of Classifier's LSI is kind of broken. It was
half in development ages ago and for whatever reason the "stable"
version got merged with a half-working dev version. For a number of
reasons (which I'll omit), development stalled and it wasn't cleaned
up.

I wasn't involved directly with the main development of Classifier,
but I did have some involvement with some of the not-so-implemented
ideas. I've been extremely busy for a couple months, but sometime
soon I hope to smooth over some of the LSI issues to get it stable
again.

I'll look into the exact error you both are posting - if it's
something workaroundable I'll let you know.

Cameron

Dan Wade

Cameron McBride wrote:
> Dan and Colin,
>
> The current version of Classifier's LSI is kind of broken. It was
> half in development ages ago and for whatever reason the "stable"
> version got merged with a half-working dev version. For a number of
> reasons (which I'll omit), development stalled and it wasn't cleaned
> up.
>
> I wasn't involved directly with the main development of Classifier,
> but I did have some involvement with some of the not-so-implemented
> ideas. I've been extremely busy for a couple months, but sometime
> soon I hope to smooth over some of the LSI issues to get it stable
> again.
>
> I'll look into the exact error you both are posting - if it's
> something workaroundable I'll let you know.
>
> Cameron

Cameron, Thanks for your reply. I appreciate the difficulty in
maintaining these things, so thanks for any input you can provide. If I
find a fix, I'll post it here.

Regards
Dan

Kimberlee D. Maclean

Not only the most prolific liar also the most prolific thief of
other's writings. She is also a Stolen Valor stain on America. Note
that when you reply to a Proven Liar you encourage them to continue
lying.

[][][][][][]

The DemocRAT Hall Of Shame http://www.democrathallof... asks
"Why do you always LIE?"

On Tue, 8 Sep 2009 20:32:38 -0700 (PDT), "Kickin' Ass and Takin'
Names" <old_redneck@hotmail.com> wrote:
>Well, we already know that right
>wing radio has no shame and no standards.
>Treading on the territories of Rush Limbaugh, Glenn Beck and Sean
>Hannity, Foley?s new gig on WSVU-Seaview 960 AM is political talk...

Oops! Caught LYING, again....

"WSVU Seaview AM 960 is Palm Beachs newest and best radio station
featuring a great blend of gold standards by Frank Sinatra, Dean
Martin, Johnny Mathis, Barbra Streisand, Tony Bennett, Neil Diamond,
The Carpenters, Nat King Cole, Tom Jones, and many others.

"Wake up with IMUS In The Morning each weekday morning 6 am - 10 am.
CBS News is featured at the top of every hour along with CBS features
each weekday: Charles Osgood at 6:30a and 9:30a; Market Watch at
9:50a, 12:50p and 4:50p; Health Watch at 11:30a; and Katie Couric at
4:30p."
http://www.palmbeachlocator.com/community/displayad....

Does Barbra Streisand, CBS News and Katie Couric sound like "right
wing radio?"

Hahahahahahahahhahaha!!!

Posted from:
The DemocRATs Hall of Shame!