Re: Ruby & gprof and thread.so undefined reference torb_thread_critical

John Carter

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky

John Carter wrote:
> Thanks for your suggestions, alas, it didn't resolve the issue.
>
> On Wed, 28 Mar 2007, M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:
>
>> 1. Recompile without the -O2 and see if it goes away.
>
> Alas not.
>
>> 2. If the recompiled (and stock Ruby) work, it's a GCC problem. If
>> the recompiled doesn't work and the stock Ruby does, check your
>> configuration parameters on your profiling build.
>
> Compiling without -pg works fine. Compiling with -pg and
> --disable-shared fails.
I'm not familiar with "disable-shared", but I suspect it builds static
libraries instead of shared ones. I think you *want* shared libraries.
But if "-pg" is the problem, it's probably GCC. I've got 4.1.2 on my
(Gentoo) systems and I've never seen a problem like this with "-pg". The
only issue I've had at all is that both Ruby and Tcl/Tk have to be built
either with threads or without threads -- you can't mix them.

This works on my box:

# build profiling Ruby
mkdir profiling-ruby-build
cd profiling-ruby-build
CFLAGS='-g -pg' ../ruby/configure --disable-install-doc --enable-pthread
--prefix=/home/test/profiling-ruby
make; make install

http://borasky-research.blo...