Re: On Enterprise Ruby

Eleanor McHugh

3/27/2007 5:31:00 PM

On 27 Mar 2007, at 01:19, Alexey Verkhovsky wrote:
> Fellow Rubyists, Ruby is now mainstream.
>
> Like it or not, we are there. Ruby applications are now developed
> for banks,
> telecoms, investment companies, newspapers... not just cool Web 2.0
> startups
> anymore. Every middleware, operating system and IDE product vendor
> has a
> dynamic languages strategy. This is a new situation that Ruby
> community has
> to deal with.

Call me a reactionary, but if we all just agree to ignore them
they're bound to go away eventually.

Ellie

Eleanor McHugh
Games With Brains
----

khaines

Giles Bowkett

> Call me a reactionary, but if we all just agree to ignore them
> they're bound to go away eventually.

I think you're right. This is really something the programming
language ecosystem will handle automagically. If you look at the main
programming languages used at all the hip Web 2.0 startups, they're
using Lisp for user interface scripting and Smalltalk for their web
framework. The Smalltalk they're using runs on Unix and sometimes
quacks like Perl, and the Lisp they're using has this weird syntax
based on Java, but the long and the short of it is that quality wins.
Let the bloatware monkeys do what they want. It's their money to lose.

--
Giles Bowkett
http://www.gilesg...