Re: On Enterprise Ruby

Rick DeNatale

3/27/2007 4:49:00 PM

On 3/26/07, Alexey Verkhovsky <alexey.verkhovsky@gmail.com> wrote:
> Fellow Rubyists, Ruby is now mainstream.
>
> Like it or not, we are there. Ruby applications are now developed for banks,
> telecoms, investment companies, newspapers... not just cool Web 2.0 startups
> anymore. Every middleware, operating system and IDE product vendor has a
> dynamic languages strategy. This is a new situation that Ruby community has
> to deal with.

As Yogi would say, "It's deja-vu all over again."

Back in the late-80s/early-90s Smalltalk had made a foothold in many
of those niches, particularly banking and investment, two hotbeds of
Smalltalk usage were Wall Street, and the Banhofstrasse in Zurich.
The driving factor was the need to do rapid application development
which was well suited to a dynamic object-oriented language. IBM even
had a mainframe Smalltalk for MVS and CICS.

I think what threw water on this was when Java came along, it was
available for no or low cost. The main Smalltalk vendors (IBM and
ParcPlace Digitalk) were still trying to make big bucks from license
fees. Java started building a large user base which eventually took
most of the wind out of Smalltalks sails. It's taken awhile for the
realization that Java just might not be dynamic enough to sink in.

So maybe Ruby has a good chance since it combines the dynamic nature
of languages like Smalltalk with an even more reasonable business
model than Java.

--
Rick DeNatale

My blog on Ruby
http://talklikeaduck.denh...

2 Answers

PaxPerPoten

On 4/1/2011 12:01 AM, Dave Heil wrote:

>>> Except all the polls saying a recall is all but a done deal.
>>
>> It probably is, but that's next winter. For now, let's just decimate
>> the
>> ranks of the fascists in the Wisconsin Senate.
>
> "Let's just"? You don't live in Wisconsin and you can't vote anywhere
> in the U.S. What part is it that you play, Canuckian?

You know how it is with the Canadian Communists. Won't be long
before the Islamist fricassee his phony ass.

--

wy

On Apr 2, 7:12 pm, Dave Heil <k...@frontiernet.net> wrote:
> On 4/1/2011 14 57, 5950 Dead, 1093 since 1/20/09 wrote:

> >> You know how it is with the Canadian Communists. Won't be long before
> >> the Islamist fricassee his phony ass.
>
> > So tell me: which of you two heroes of the American right can vote in
> > Wisconsin.  Ziggy likes to tell us if you can't vote, you don't have the
> > right to an opinion.
>
> I've never said any such thing, lying Canuck, feeding at the American
> trough.  I've said that you are irrelevant to American politics and that
> you interfere in American politics.
>
> > He can't vote in Wisconsin, therefore he has no
> > right to an opinion.
>
> One of us can move to Wisconsin, rent an apartment or a  house and vote
> in very short order.  It isn' you.

And yeah, we sure see you being in a rush to do it.