RubyGems pre/post install

Trans

3/25/2007 4:31:00 PM

Does RubyGems support pre/post install scripting?

T.

5 Answers

Ara.T.Howard

Gregory Brown

On 3/25/07, Trans <transfire@gmail.com> wrote:
> Does RubyGems support pre/post install scripting?

http://blog.evanweaver.com/articles/2007/03/04/audit...

Not sure if 'support' is the right word. :)

Austin Ziegler

On 3/25/07, ara.t.howard@noaa.gov <ara.t.howard@noaa.gov> wrote:
> On Mon, 26 Mar 2007, Trans wrote:
> > Does RubyGems support pre/post install scripting?
> nope.

And with, I think, very good reason. There are times when, in the
past, I wished it did, but aside from one loophole, there's no way to
get a gem to execute arbitrary code on installation.

-austin
--
Austin Ziegler * halostatue@gmail.com * http://www.halo...
* austin@halostatue.ca * http://www.halo...feed/

Trans

On Mar 25, 12:48 pm, "Austin Ziegler" <halosta...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 3/25/07, ara.t.how...@noaa.gov <ara.t.how...@noaa.gov> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 26 Mar 2007, Trans wrote:
> > > Does RubyGems support pre/post install scripting?
> > nope.
>
> And with, I think, very good reason. There are times when, in the
> past, I wished it did, but aside from one loophole, there's no way to
> get a gem to execute arbitrary code on installation.
>
> -austin
> --
> Austin Ziegler * halosta...@gmail.com *http://www.halo...
> * aus...@halostatue.ca *http://www.halo...feed/
> * aus...@zieglers.ca

Thanks Ara, Gregory and Austin. Guess, I'll just write gembundle as an
extension to Gems then.

T.

Eric Hodel

On Mar 25, 2007, at 09:48, Austin Ziegler wrote:
> On 3/25/07, ara.t.howard@noaa.gov <ara.t.howard@noaa.gov> wrote:
>> On Mon, 26 Mar 2007, Trans wrote:
>> > Does RubyGems support pre/post install scripting?
>> nope.
>
> And with, I think, very good reason. There are times when, in the
> past, I wished it did, but aside from one loophole, there's no way to
> get a gem to execute arbitrary code on installation.

Actually, there are two. I'm going to remove the second one sometime
soon.