Gems was working but not anymore

sarosh.lists

3/23/2007 12:18:00 PM

I installed Ruby, Gems, Rails etc. following the instructions on
http://hivelogic.com/narrative/articles/ruby-rails-mongrel...
(Me: using Intel, 10.4, all other settings and versions same as that
website)

Gems was working as I was able to install Rails, Mongrel, Capistrano
and MySql bindings, and I was able to make a test app, and start it
using script/server
This was sometime last week

Now, I wanted to do some tutorials today, but I wasn't able to invoke
script/server I got error:

/usr/local/bin/gem:9:in `require': No such file to load -- rubygems
(LoadError)
from /usr/local/bin/gem:9

I found out that I got the same error with anything that requires
gems. i.e. gem install rails. I even reinstalled Gems but that didn't
help.

Any ideas on how I could get this working again? Thanks

7 Answers

sarosh.lists

Figured it out. When I did:
# ruby -v
it gave me 1.8.2, meaning that it had reverted to the version included
with OSX for some reason.

I did this:
# . ~/.bash_login
and it's working again!

John Joyce

What have you installed since the last time gems worked?

In Terminal, type:
which gem
This should tell you the path to gem

Perhaps you have tried to do something which has a dependency that is
missing.
Many gems depend on other gems.
it's good to use the --include dependencies option when you install
a gem.
Also look into freezing your gems, but that's a different matter.

Did you start/stop the server? (make sure it's not already running!)
Is Apache interfering? You may have to stop Apache to run another
server.

check the GEM_PATH also...
in .gemrc

make sure you're in the directory of your Rails app when you invoke
script/server
notice that is the local path from the rails app's directory.
To start that server from elsewhere:
( If you're in another directory )
replace:
script/server

with:
~/rails_app_name_here/script/server

(this assumes you have the app in the top level of your user account,
in other words in your home directory which has your User Name)

Configuring paths can be a pain.
...and hard to remember and keep track of.
Rails relies on a little bit of Unix command line ability. The Unix
in A Nutshell book is highly recommended as a reference to have around!

On Mar 23, 2007, at 9:20 PM, sarosh.lists@gmail.com wrote:

> I installed Ruby, Gems, Rails etc. following the instructions on
> http://hivelogic.com/narrative/articles/ruby-rails-mongrel...
> (Me: using Intel, 10.4, all other settings and versions same as that
> website)
>
> Gems was working as I was able to install Rails, Mongrel, Capistrano
> and MySql bindings, and I was able to make a test app, and start it
> using script/server
> This was sometime last week
>
> Now, I wanted to do some tutorials today, but I wasn't able to invoke
> script/server I got error:
>
> /usr/local/bin/gem:9:in `require': No such file to load -- rubygems
> (LoadError)
> from /usr/local/bin/gem:9
>
> I found out that I got the same error with anything that requires
> gems. i.e. gem install rails. I even reinstalled Gems but that didn't
> help.
>
> Any ideas on how I could get this working again? Thanks

Doug Bashford

Re: You SCIENCE DENIERS are just punkie little Lemmings &
Whores;
On Wed, 14 Mar 2012, Neolibertarian wrote:

> In article <3sadndFoK5yRRv3SnZ2dnUVZ_jWdnZ2d@pghconnect.com>,
> Doug Bashford <Playing@work.edu> wrote:
>
> > about: Sherwood Rowland, the scientist who saved the world
> > -- L.A. Times;
> > On Tue, 13 Mar 2012 07:41:44....
> > He's dead.
> > ===============
> >

> > You little girl punks can't handle Science.
> > Worse, you spit on it.
>
> Science doesn't have arbiters.

Yer full of crap. There is no science without judgment.

> Well, not since all science was an appeal to Aristotle.
>
> And yet, an international lobbying group called "the International Panel
> on Climate Change" has inexplicably established itself as the final
> arbiter of Climate Science.

Yer full of crap. Others might make that judgment however.
It's not wise to judge groups from their fan clubs or
their detractors. Of course you know that. But since when
do you apply intellectual honesty to your arguments?
You fool yerself more than anybody else.

> And marks like you don't find that the least bit strange?
>
> Another funny thing about IPCC is the climate models they use.
>
> None of them work, of course. IPCC, couched in extremely diplomatic
> language, admits that none of these models work, right there in all of
> their "Working Group Summaries."

Boo hoo, if you demand certainty, go to Church.
You'll not find it in Science. Grow up.

> By itself, this might be enough to call into question many of IPCC's
> conclusions and claims.
>
> But why should that deter it?

Yes, they are so evil, according to your straw men!

> What IPCC does is take some 23 of these Climate Models that don't work,
> and averages them together. This "average" is what the panel uses to
> base its ridiculous predictions (which, inconveniently, don't come true
> year after year after year).

Eek! ...they are NOT godlike!?
Burn them at the stake!

> This might sound like science, but I can assure you, it's not.

YOU CAN ASSURE me????????????????????????????????????

Oh brother.

> Many people might claim that models are how you test the science.
>
> If the models don't work, then some or all of the models' assumptions
> might be incorrect.
>
> No?

That's what they themselves say. Perhaps you would
do well to find out what that is.

The insane twist the facts to fit their world view.
The rational change their world view to fit the facts.

Carmella Bond

Ray is a classic usenet zoo monkey. Liars, once they have been
exposed, frequently revert to behavior most similar to a zoo monkey
who sits in the cage throwing feces at passersby but saying nothing of
value. Note that when you reply to a Proven Liar you encourage them
to continue lying.

Raymond C. Fischer (54)
(Louise Fischer)
90 Hunt Way
Campbell, CA 95008
408-374-1969

[][][][][][]
The DemocRAT Hall Of Shame http://www.democrathallof... asks
"Why do you always LIE?"

[Courtesy of Buster Norris]

On 05 Nov 2011 17:25:53 GMT, rfischer@sonic.net (Ray Fischer) wrote:
>Möebius Pretzel <Möebius*Pretzel~@~Ubiquitous.com> wrote:
>>When Egypt teargassed and beat protestors in Tahrir Square, the world,
>>including the Obama administration, howled in outrage.
>What a stupid lie.

LIAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Armed central security police showered Tahrir Square with tear gas
canisters............
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/jun/29/egypt-battle-tahir-squar...

.......in Tahrir Square: police encircling protesters, beating them
with batons, firing tear gas and.........
http://articles.latimes.com/2011/jul/07/world/la-fg-egypt-archive...

>>But when police did the same to Americans in Oakland?s Frank Ogawa
>>Plaza, the Obama administration said nothing.
>Because, according to the US Constitution, it's not his place to say
>anything.

LIAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The US Constitution does NOT prohibit or restrict the President from
commenting...........

Posted from:
The DemocRATs Hall of Shame!
http://www.democrathallof...

rfischer

Neolibertarian <cognac756@gmail.com> wrote:
>In article <jjrij9$4v8$2@dont-email.me>, 2915 Dead <dead@gone.com>
>wrote:
>

>> > Science doesn't have arbiters.
>> >
>> > Well, not since all science was an appeal to Aristotle.
>> >
>> > And yet, an international lobbying group called "the International Panel
>> > on Climate Change" has inexplicably established itself as the final
>> > arbiter of Climate Science.
>> >
>> > And marks like you don't find that the least bit strange?
>> >
>> > Another funny thing about IPCC is the climate models they use.
>> >
>> > None of them work, of course. IPCC, couched in extremely diplomatic
>> > language, admits that none of these models work, right there in all of
>> > their "Working Group Summaries."
>> >
>> > By itself, this might be enough to call into question many of IPCC's
>> > conclusions and claims.
>> >
>> > But why should that deter it?
>> >
>> > What IPCC does is take some 23 of these Climate Models that don't work,
>> > and averages them together. This "average" is what the panel uses to
>> > base its ridiculous predictions (which, inconveniently, don't come true
>> > year after year after year).
>> >
>> > This might sound like science, but I can assure you, it's not.
>> >
>> > Many people might claim that models are how you test the science.
>> >
>> > If the models don't work, then some or all of the models' assumptions
>> > might be incorrect.
>> >
>> > No?
>>
>> Now all you have to do is show that the models don't work.
>>
>> Good luck with that, bubbles.
>>
>Show me the model that works.

How would you like it identified?

Note, in the meantime, that weather reports are highly accurate
these days.

--
Ray Fischer | None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.
rfischer@sonic.net | Goethe

Neolibertarian

In article <4f63f0e1$0$12000$742ec2ed@news.sonic.net>,
rfischer@sonic.net (Ray Fischer) wrote:

> Neolibertarian <cognac756@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> Now all you have to do is show that the models don't work.
> >>
> >> Good luck with that, bubbles.
> >>
> >Show me the model that works.
>
> How would you like it identified?

The one that successfully predicts climate conditions.

When we have a model that works, that will be the one that IPCC uses.

In the meantime, IPCC uses over 20 different models, and averages the
results with a statistical technique called "coupling."

> Note, in the meantime, that weather reports are highly accurate
> these days.

Friend, they can't even come close to predicting how many tropical
storms and hurricanes we can expect next year, just in the Atlantic.

Not even approximately accurate.

--
Neolibertarian

"Global Warming: It ain't the heat, it's the stupidity."

Leone Ray Mayes

On 19 Dec 2011 18:52:44 GMT, rfischer@sonic.net (Ray Fischer) wrote:
>cicero venatio <jazzyboss@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>Remember when Eric Holder became AG, and began by lecturing the simple
>>sheeple about their racism? He implied that this time white people
>>were going to put behind bars, and that blacks were going to be the
>
>You're a bigoted liar. A crook hidiing out in Mexico.

From: cicero venatio <jazzyboss@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2011 08:52:34 -0800 (PST)

Chandler, AZ
Host: wsip-70-184-74-45.tc.ph.cox.net