Appropriate directory for "third-party" utilities?

RichardOnRails

3/23/2007 3:16:00 AM

Hi All,

I just wrote searchdir.rb that works the way I like to search
directories. I read recently there's an appropriate place in the
installed Ruby system to put third party routines, presumably
including stuff we write for our own systems. I can't remember the
name of the preferred directory. Any ideas?

I'm running WinXP-Pro/SP2, Ruby 1.8.2-15, Rails 1.1.6, Gem 0.9.

I've got the ".rb" extension mapped to Ruby.exe, whose directory is on
the PATH.

Heretofore, I've put Ruby utilities in a separate "Utilities"
directory which is on the PATH, and that worked fine. But now I want
to do it "The Ruby Way".

TIA,
Richard

2 Answers

Lyle Johnson

On 3/22/07, Richard <RichardDummyMailbox58407@uscomputergurus.com> wrote:

> I just wrote searchdir.rb that works the way I like to search
> directories. I read recently there's an appropriate place in the
> installed Ruby system to put third party routines, presumably
> including stuff we write for our own systems. I can't remember the
> name of the preferred directory. Any ideas?

I think you may be speaking of the lib/ruby/site_ruby directory.

RichardOnRails

Thanks, Lyle.