[MacOS X] [BUG]Bus Error

unbewusst.sein

3/20/2007 12:15:00 PM

i'm using ruby with libxml and libxslt to transfom an xhtml file into an
xbel one thru xslt.

It seems (not deeply verified) the transform itself works but i get the
following error message :

$ ./fir2xbel.rb
../fir2xbel.rb:23: [BUG] Bus Error
ruby 1.8.5 (2006-08-25) [powerpc-darwin8.8.0]

the whole script could be resumed to :

#! /usr/bin/env ruby -wx

require 'xml/libxml'
require 'xml/libxslt'

xslt=XML::XSLT.file(<xsl file>)
xslt.doc=XML::Document.file(<xml file>)
s=xslt.parse
s.apply
f=File.open(<xbel file>,'w')
f.puts s

notice the -wx arg to Ruby.

where could i search for such an error ?
4 Answers

Peter Booth

Maybe a dumb question but do you have a PPC Mac? I had a bunch of
similar errors when I migrated my entire system (including Ruby
install) from my PPC Powerbook Pro to an Intel MacBook Pro. The
resolution was a complete reinstall of Ruby.

Peter

On Mar 20, 2007, at 8:20 AM, Une Bévue wrote:

> i'm using ruby with libxml and libxslt to transfom an xhtml file
> into an
> xbel one thru xslt.
>
> It seems (not deeply verified) the transform itself works but i get
> the
> following error message :
>
> $ ./fir2xbel.rb
> ./fir2xbel.rb:23: [BUG] Bus Error
> ruby 1.8.5 (2006-08-25) [powerpc-darwin8.8.0]
>
> the whole script could be resumed to :
>
> #! /usr/bin/env ruby -wx
>
> require 'xml/libxml'
> require 'xml/libxslt'
>
> xslt=XML::XSLT.file(<xsl file>)
> xslt.doc=XML::Document.file(<xml file>)
> s=xslt.parse
> s.apply
> f=File.open(<xbel file>,'w')
> f.puts s
>
> notice the -wx arg to Ruby.
>
> where could i search for such an error ?

Peter Booth
peter_booth@mac.com
917 445 5663

unbewusst.sein

Peter Booth <pbooth@nocoincidences.com> wrote:

> Maybe a dumb question but do you have a PPC Mac? I had a bunch of
> similar errors when I migrated my entire system (including Ruby
> install) from my PPC Powerbook Pro to an Intel MacBook Pro. The
> resolution was a complete reinstall of Ruby.

Yes i do have a PPC Mac the ruby i'm using was installed on this PPC Mac
using MacPorts.

Such a bug is new to me, might be linked to Mac OS X 10.4.9 updat ?

Also it seems this has nothing to do with the xsl file by itself because
i get this error with the simplest one.

I'm sure i didn't have this error on 10.4.8...

Faisal N Jawdat

I've had a long-running series of errors (Ruby 1.8.4, 1.8.5p12) of
this type on a PPC Mac from a scratch install. The problems appeared
to go away when I blew away /usr/local/lib/ruby and reinstalled Ruby
(1.8.6) from scratch.

-faisal
-your rubber chicken may vary

On Mar 20, 2007, at 11:09 AM, Peter Booth wrote:

> Maybe a dumb question but do you have a PPC Mac? I had a bunch of
> similar errors when I migrated my entire system (including Ruby
> install) from my PPC Powerbook Pro to an Intel MacBook Pro. The
> resolution was a complete reinstall of Ruby.
>
> Peter
>
> On Mar 20, 2007, at 8:20 AM, Une Bévue wrote:
>
>> i'm using ruby with libxml and libxslt to transfom an xhtml file
>> into an
>> xbel one thru xslt.
>>
>> It seems (not deeply verified) the transform itself works but i
>> get the
>> following error message :
>>
>> $ ./fir2xbel.rb
>> ./fir2xbel.rb:23: [BUG] Bus Error
>> ruby 1.8.5 (2006-08-25) [powerpc-darwin8.8.0]
>>
>> the whole script could be resumed to :
>>
>> #! /usr/bin/env ruby -wx
>>
>> require 'xml/libxml'
>> require 'xml/libxslt'
>>
>> xslt=XML::XSLT.file(<xsl file>)
>> xslt.doc=XML::Document.file(<xml file>)
>> s=xslt.parse
>> s.apply
>> f=File.open(<xbel file>,'w')
>> f.puts s
>>
>> notice the -wx arg to Ruby.
>>
>> where could i search for such an error ?
>>

> Peter Booth
> peter_booth@mac.com
> 917 445 5663

unbewusst.sein

Faisal N Jawdat <faisal@faisal.com> wrote:

> I've had a long-running series of errors (Ruby 1.8.4, 1.8.5p12) of
> this type on a PPC Mac from a scratch install. The problems appeared
> to go away when I blew away /usr/local/lib/ruby and reinstalled Ruby
> (1.8.6) from scratch.

ok, fine thanks !