Gem questions/problems

Mike Hiraga

3/19/2007 7:23:00 PM

I installed gem on a few machines (identical machines). When I do gem
list --remote on some of them, they dump a big list of packages. When I
do the same command on one of them, it returns nothing:

[root@devbox1 1.8]# gem list --remote

*** REMOTE GEMS ***
[root@devbox1 1.8]#

Anyone have an idea what's going on? I tried reinstalling it a few times
already.

Also, when I do a gem list --remote rails, I dont see a version 1.2.3 on
there... nor do I see a rake 0.7.2. Could these packages just be too new
to be in a gem repo or is there some sort of list update that I need to
do?

Thanks!

(ruby noob here)

Mat Schaffer

On Mar 19, 3:23 pm, Mike Hiraga <mhir...@yellowpages.com> wrote:
> [root@devbox1 1.8]# gem list --remote
>
> *** REMOTE GEMS ***
> [root@devbox1 1.8]#
>
> Anyone have an idea what's going on? I tried reinstalling it a few times
> already.
>
> Also, when I do a gem list --remote rails, I dont see a version 1.2.3 on
> there... nor do I see a rake 0.7.2. Could these packages just be too new
> to be in a gem repo or is there some sort of list update that I need to
> do?

What happens when you just try to 'gem install' something? Does it
complain about sources? I remember having trouble with an older
version of rubygems where the installer wouldn't install the sources
gem. But I don't often use list --remote so I'm not sure if it's the
same issue.
-Mat

Mike Hiraga

Hey,

I downloaded the gem for rake and it installed just fine using gem
install /path/to/rake-0.7.2.gem

Mike Hiraga

"What happens when you just try to 'gem install' something? "

if the gem isnt downloaded and i try this, yes it does complain:

gem install mongrel
ERROR: While executing gem ... (Gem::GemNotFoundException)
Could not find mongrel (> 0) in any repository

Eric Hodel

On Mar 19, 2007, at 12:23, Mike Hiraga wrote:

> I installed gem on a few machines (identical machines). When I do gem
> list --remote on some of them, they dump a big list of packages.
> When I
> do the same command on one of them, it returns nothing:
>
> [root@devbox1 1.8]# gem list --remote
>
> *** REMOTE GEMS ***
> [root@devbox1 1.8]#
>
> Anyone have an idea what's going on? I tried reinstalling it a few
> times
> already.
>
> Also, when I do a gem list --remote rails, I dont see a version
> 1.2.3 on
> there... nor do I see a rake 0.7.2. Could these packages just be
> too new
> to be in a gem repo or is there some sort of list update that I
> need to
> do?
>
> Thanks!

What does 'gem sources' say?