Ruby 1.8.6 One-Click Installer

Dejan Dimic

3/16/2007 3:32:00 PM

Does somebody know when the Ruby 1.8.6 One-Click Installer will be
ready for downloading?

6 Answers

David Porter

Hi there,

I too would like to know this ?

Without this, how do you upgrade on a Windows XP platform ?

regards, Daveo

dima wrote:
> Does somebody know when the Ruby 1.8.6 One-Click Installer will be
> ready for downloading?

Joel VanderWerf

David Porter wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I too would like to know this ?
>
> Without this, how do you upgrade on a Windows XP platform ?
>
> regards, Daveo
>
> dima wrote:
>> Does somebody know when the Ruby 1.8.6 One-Click Installer will be
>> ready for downloading?

The OCI isn't the only way to go, though it may be worth waiting for.

There are usually windows binaries posted on

http://www.ruby-lang.org/en/...

but only 1.8.5 is there now.

You can build ruby yourself on windows, using one of gcc (cygwin or
mingw) or the free-download MS compilers. (The NEWS file claims "build
tools support" for Visual C++ 8 SP1, so maybe you don't have to use VC6
any more.)

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky

Quoting Joel VanderWerf <vjoel@path.berkeley.edu>:

> David Porter wrote:
> > Hi there,
> >
> > I too would like to know this ?
> >
> > Without this, how do you upgrade on a Windows XP platform ?
> >
> > regards, Daveo
> >
> > dima wrote:
> >> Does somebody know when the Ruby 1.8.6 One-Click Installer will be
> >> ready for downloading?
> >

> The OCI isn't the only way to go, though it may be worth waiting for.
It's definitely worth waiting for!

> You can build ruby yourself on windows, using one of gcc (cygwin or
> mingw) or the free-download MS compilers. (The NEWS file claims "build
> tools support" for Visual C++ 8 SP1, so maybe you don't have to use VC6
> any more.)
Cygwin and MSys/mingw are definitely deprecated. The OCI is built now with a
Windows compiler, although I've forgotten which one.

Stephan Kämper

Curt Hibbs wrote:
>> dima wrote:
>> > Does somebody know when the Ruby 1.8.6 One-Click Installer will be
>> > ready for downloading?
>

> I just released it a few minutes ago.

And it's available here: http://rubyforge.org/projects/ruby...

BTW, who takes care of updating the download from
http://www.ruby-lan... I'm just asking because the download at
http://www.ruby-lang.org/en/... is still 1.8.5-21.

Happy rubying

Stephan

Nando Sanchez

Stephan Kämper wrote:
> Curt Hibbs wrote:
>>

>> I just released it a few minutes ago.
>
> And it's available here: http://rubyforge.org/projects/ruby...
>
> BTW, who takes care of updating the download from
> http://www.ruby-lan... I'm just asking because the download at
> http://www.ruby-lang.org/en/... is still 1.8.5-21.
>
> Happy rubying
>
> Stephan

I think you need to send an e-mail to webmaster@ruby-lang.org, may be
they can update the link there... there must be a way to include some
nice Ruby code to automatically update these links whenever a new
version is available :)

Regards,

Nando

Dejan Dimic

You are my heroes!

I have built it but I like to install it from official installation. I
have few XPs and it is the straightforward way to change to new
version.

Thank you once again.