Re: attr_protected macro

Tim Becker

3/16/2007 10:02:00 AM

> I was going through a blog where I found "Do this by calling the
> attr_protected macro in your model class definition" what do you mean
> by macro here.
> Is it a method?

Ruby comes with the `attr_accessor` family of functions built in to
`Module` (http://www.ruby-doc.org/core/classes/M...). These
methods allow you to specify which instance variables of a class you'd
like accessor methods you'd like getters and setters generated for
automatically. E.g.:

class Test
attr_accessor :test_variable
end

The above code will add roughly the following to the `Test` class:

def test_variable
@test_variable
end

def test_variable= a
@test_variable=a
end

The 'attr_...' methods are regular methods, but people might call them
"macros" because they're basically shorthand for generating other code
automatically. They're not macros in the C sense of the word.

I assume this is about rails, `attr_protected` refers to:
http://api.rubyonrails.org/classes/ActiveRecord/Base.ht...

-Tim