rubyscript2exe.rb question

Ara.T.Howard

Erik Veenstra

> anybody seen this:
>
> jib:ahoward > rq_linux q list
> /tmp/eee.rq_linux.2/bin/ruby: warning: Insecure world
> writable dir /tmp in LOAD_PATH, mode 041777
> /tmp/eee.rq_linux.2/bin/ruby: loading from unsafe file
> /tmp/eee.rq_linux.2/bootstrap.rb (SecurityError)
>
> jib:ahoward > echo $?
> 1

Environment? Versions?

Could you try this (as root):

$ chmod +t /tmp

> workaround?

Depending on the shell:

$ mkdir ~/tmp
$ TEMP=~/tmp rq_linux q list

gegroet,
Erik V. - http://www.erikve...

Eric I.

I've experienced this same issue on OS X (10.4.9) using Ruby 1.8.6.
I've been able to verify it's not a problem using Ruby 1.8.2 on OS X
and that it's not a problem on Ruby 1.8.4 using Linux. And I'm pretty
sure it wasn't an issue with Ruby 1.8.5 under OS X. So my guess is
that it surrounds a change in Ruby made between 1.8.5 and 1.8.6.

My best guess is that Ruby 1.8.6. does not seem to be taking into
account the sticky bit.

The original message in this thread showed an error message indicating
the permissions were 041777. My error message reports the same. And
the "1" would indicate that the sticky bit is set.

I can verify that your workaround of setting TEMP to a non-world-
writeable directory worked.

And is it the case that when running an application created with
rubyscript2exe, that the SAFE level is greater than 0? Because if it
were 0 my understanding is it should at most generate a warning and
not an error.

Thanks,

Eric

Erik Veenstra

I've addressed this problem in the not-yet-released version.

It doesn't use /tmp anymore, but ~/.eee instead. The Ruby
equivalent is something like this:

dir = ENV["HOME"] || ENV["USERPROFILE"] || ENV["TEMP"]
dir ||= "c:/" if windows?
dir ||= "/tmp"
dir = File.join(dir, "eee") if windows? or cygwin?
dir = File.join(dir, ".eee") unless windows? or cygwin?

Maybe, just maybe, I'll release it in a couple of days...

gegroet,
Erik V. - http://www.erikve...

Erik Veenstra

> I've addressed this problem in the not-yet-released version.
>
> Maybe, just maybe, I'll release it in a couple of days...

It's released:
http://www.erikve...rubyscript2exe/...

gegroet,
Erik V. - http://www.erikve...

BIG Bird

"GLOBALIST" <free.tuneup@gmail.com> wrote in message
: On Saturday, April 27, 2013 1:39:43 PM UTC-5, awouk wrote:
: > Hammurabi's Code and U.S. Health Care
:
: Should we be paying a White House doctor for just one man?

absolutely, as long as he's a democrat

why do you care anyway ??

your lazy,poor,broke,trailer trash hillbilly ass doesn't pay any taxes anyway and
never has

El Castor

On Sat, 27 Apr 2013 12:12:50 -0700 (PDT), mg <mgkelson@yahoo.com>
wrote:

The Canadian socialized healthcare system was designed along liberal
principles which (I believe) prohibited private doctors. I believe the
practice is known as "equal accessibility". That is fine, until you
need an MRI and find the waiting list is 3 months long. Canadians,
even one MP who is an outspoken proponent of crappy Canadian
socialized medicine, often come to the US for treatment. They
generally pay for it out of pocket. There is a movement in Canada to
allow private healthcare insurance.

France has a better system. Earl doesn't like to admit it, but private
insurance similar to our Medicare supplemental insurance, is widely
sold in France. I believe Earl and his wife have some, as do most
French citizens. That seems to me to be reasonable.

"Finally, for fees that the mandatory system does not cover, there is
a large range of private complementary insurance plans available. The
market for these programs is very competitive. Such insurance is often
subsidized by the employer, which means that premiums are usually
modest. 85% of French people benefit from complementary private health
insurance."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Health_care...

Personally, I'm happy with Kaiser, but if the day ever comes when I
believe Kaiser is withholding a PSA test, colonoscopy, or whatever,
for the purpose of saving money, or because an Obamacare death panel
requires it, I will be pissed, and I will expect to be able to pay for
it out of pocket, or buy supplemental insurance to cover it. If I am
not allowed to do that, as was the original design in Canada, I would
interpret that as a sign it was time to take to the hills. (-8

Islander

On 4/27/2013 1:46 PM, El Castor wrote:
> On Sat, 27 Apr 2013 12:12:50 -0700 (PDT), mg <mgkelson@yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>
> The Canadian socialized healthcare system was designed along liberal
> principles which (I believe) prohibited private doctors. I believe the
> practice is known as "equal accessibility". That is fine, until you
> need an MRI and find the waiting list is 3 months long. Canadians,
> even one MP who is an outspoken proponent of crappy Canadian
> socialized medicine, often come to the US for treatment. They
> generally pay for it out of pocket. There is a movement in Canada to
> allow private healthcare insurance.
>
> France has a better system. Earl doesn't like to admit it, but private
> insurance similar to our Medicare supplemental insurance, is widely
> sold in France. I believe Earl and his wife have some, as do most
> French citizens. That seems to me to be reasonable.
>
> "Finally, for fees that the mandatory system does not cover, there is
> a large range of private complementary insurance plans available. The
> market for these programs is very competitive. Such insurance is often
> subsidized by the employer, which means that premiums are usually
> modest. 85% of French people benefit from complementary private health
> insurance."
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Health_care...
>
> Personally, I'm happy with Kaiser, but if the day ever comes when I
> believe Kaiser is withholding a PSA test, colonoscopy, or whatever,
> for the purpose of saving money, or because an Obamacare death panel
> requires it, I will be pissed, and I will expect to be able to pay for
> it out of pocket, or buy supplemental insurance to cover it. If I am
> not allowed to do that, as was the original design in Canada, I would
> interpret that as a sign it was time to take to the hills. (-8

A more relevant measure of the difference between Canadian health care
and health care in the US is whether Canadians would give up their
health care system for ours. The answer is an unqualified "NO." Living
close to the border as I do, I get to ask this question often and have
yet to hear a preference for the US system. A very good friend of mine
is Canadian, lives here, and goes back to Canada for health care. He
can afford health care in this country, so why does he go back?
Overall, he has higher confidence in Canada's providers.

mg

On Apr 27, 2:46 pm, El Castor <DrE...@justuschickens.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 27 Apr 2013 12:12:50 -0700 (PDT), mg <mgkel...@yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>
> The Canadian socialized healthcare system was designed along liberal
> principles which (I believe) prohibited private doctors. I believe the
> practice is known as "equal accessibility". That is fine, until you
> need an MRI and find the waiting list is 3 months long.  Canadians,
> even one MP who is an outspoken proponent of crappy Canadian
> socialized medicine, often come to the US for treatment. They
> generally pay for it out of pocket. There is a movement in Canada to
> allow private healthcare insurance.
>
> France has a better system. Earl doesn't like to admit it, but private
> insurance similar to our Medicare supplemental insurance, is widely
> sold in France. I believe Earl and his wife have some, as do most
> French citizens. That seems to me to be reasonable.
>
> "Finally, for fees that the mandatory system does not cover, there is
> a large range of private complementary insurance plans available. The
> market for these programs is very competitive. Such insurance is often
> subsidized by the employer, which means that premiums are usually
> modest. 85% of French people benefit from complementary private health
> insurance."http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Health_care...
>
> Personally, I'm happy with Kaiser, but if the day ever comes when I
> believe Kaiser is withholding a PSA test, colonoscopy, or whatever,
> for the purpose of saving money, or because an Obamacare death panel
> requires it, I will be pissed, and I will expect to be able to pay for
> it out of pocket, or buy supplemental insurance to cover it. If I am
> not allowed to do that, as was the original design in Canada, I would
> interpret that as a sign it was time to take to the hills. (-8

Oh, my! I forgot all about the Obamacare death panels. Where is Sara
Palin, by the way? It seems like she has been keeping a low profile
lately, but then I suppose she has already made a bundle and doesn't
have to work anymore at keeping us informed about what's really going
on in Washington.

El Castor

On Sat, 27 Apr 2013 17:15:40 -0700, Islander <nospam@priracy.net>
wrote:

>On 4/27/2013 1:46 PM, El Castor wrote:
>> On Sat, 27 Apr 2013 12:12:50 -0700 (PDT), mg <mgkelson@yahoo.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> The Canadian socialized healthcare system was designed along liberal
>> principles which (I believe) prohibited private doctors. I believe the
>> practice is known as "equal accessibility". That is fine, until you
>> need an MRI and find the waiting list is 3 months long. Canadians,
>> even one MP who is an outspoken proponent of crappy Canadian
>> socialized medicine, often come to the US for treatment. They
>> generally pay for it out of pocket. There is a movement in Canada to
>> allow private healthcare insurance.
>>
>> France has a better system. Earl doesn't like to admit it, but private
>> insurance similar to our Medicare supplemental insurance, is widely
>> sold in France. I believe Earl and his wife have some, as do most
>> French citizens. That seems to me to be reasonable.
>>
>> "Finally, for fees that the mandatory system does not cover, there is
>> a large range of private complementary insurance plans available. The
>> market for these programs is very competitive. Such insurance is often
>> subsidized by the employer, which means that premiums are usually
>> modest. 85% of French people benefit from complementary private health
>> insurance."
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Health_care...
>>
>> Personally, I'm happy with Kaiser, but if the day ever comes when I
>> believe Kaiser is withholding a PSA test, colonoscopy, or whatever,
>> for the purpose of saving money, or because an Obamacare death panel
>> requires it, I will be pissed, and I will expect to be able to pay for
>> it out of pocket, or buy supplemental insurance to cover it. If I am
>> not allowed to do that, as was the original design in Canada, I would
>> interpret that as a sign it was time to take to the hills. (-8
>>
>A more relevant measure of the difference between Canadian health care
>and health care in the US is whether Canadians would give up their
>health care system for ours. The answer is an unqualified "NO." Living
>close to the border as I do, I get to ask this question often and have
>yet to hear a preference for the US system. A very good friend of mine
>is Canadian, lives here, and goes back to Canada for health care. He
>can afford health care in this country, so why does he go back?
>Overall, he has higher confidence in Canada's providers.

So why don't you move to Pender Island? It's just a short swim.

El Castor

On Sat, 27 Apr 2013 19:34:54 -0700 (PDT), mg <mgkelson@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>On Apr 27, 2:46?pm, El Castor <DrE...@justuschickens.com> wrote:
>> On Sat, 27 Apr 2013 12:12:50 -0700 (PDT), mg <mgkel...@yahoo.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> The Canadian socialized healthcare system was designed along liberal
>> principles which (I believe) prohibited private doctors. I believe the
>> practice is known as "equal accessibility". That is fine, until you
>> need an MRI and find the waiting list is 3 months long. ?Canadians,
>> even one MP who is an outspoken proponent of crappy Canadian
>> socialized medicine, often come to the US for treatment. They
>> generally pay for it out of pocket. There is a movement in Canada to
>> allow private healthcare insurance.
>>
>> France has a better system. Earl doesn't like to admit it, but private
>> insurance similar to our Medicare supplemental insurance, is widely
>> sold in France. I believe Earl and his wife have some, as do most
>> French citizens. That seems to me to be reasonable.
>>
>> "Finally, for fees that the mandatory system does not cover, there is
>> a large range of private complementary insurance plans available. The
>> market for these programs is very competitive. Such insurance is often
>> subsidized by the employer, which means that premiums are usually
>> modest. 85% of French people benefit from complementary private health
>> insurance."http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Health_care...
>>
>> Personally, I'm happy with Kaiser, but if the day ever comes when I
>> believe Kaiser is withholding a PSA test, colonoscopy, or whatever,
>> for the purpose of saving money, or because an Obamacare death panel
>> requires it, I will be pissed, and I will expect to be able to pay for
>> it out of pocket, or buy supplemental insurance to cover it. If I am
>> not allowed to do that, as was the original design in Canada, I would
>> interpret that as a sign it was time to take to the hills. (-8
>
>Oh, my! I forgot all about the Obamacare death panels. Where is Sara

It's OK to forget about death panels, they haven't forgotten about
you.

>Palin, by the way? It seems like she has been keeping a low profile
>lately, but then I suppose she has already made a bundle and doesn't
>have to work anymore at keeping us informed about what's really going
>on in Washington.

Palin doesn't need to complain about Obamacare when we've got a
leading Dem like Max Baucus doing it for her.

"A senior Democratic senator who helped write President Obama?s health
care law stunned administration officials by saying openly he thinks
it?s headed for a ?train wreck.?"
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/apr/17/sen-max-baucus-health-law-heading-for-tr...