CORRECTION (Re: [ANN] Phoenix Ruby Users Group March Meeting

James Britt

3/12/2007 8:21:00 PM

James Britt wrote:

> What: Phoenix Ruby Users Group
> When: March 13, 2007, 6:15 PM

That is a lie.

In fact, the meeting is today, Monday, March 12, at 6:15pm.

(I would blame my error on the new shift to DST, but, being in Arizona,
that isn't an issue.)

Meetings are held on the second Monday of the month.

The remaining information in the first post is probably correct.

--
James Britt

"I have the uncomfortable feeling that others are making a religion
out of it, as if the conceptual problems of programming could be
solved by a single trick, by a simple form of coding discipline!"
- Edsger Dijkstra

13 Answers

mg

On Apr 27, 9:19 am, Islander <nos...@priracy.net> wrote:
> On 4/26/2013 4:31 PM, mg wrote:
>
> > How come the government has to pay for air traffic controllers,
> > anyway? How come they can't privatize that and have the airlines pay
> > for it?
>
> For the same reason that we don't want oil companies to define what is
> safe for oil field development, safety, and transportation.  Or if you
> don't like that example, for the same reason that we don't want meat
> packers to define what is safe for consumers.
>
> We don't trust private enterprise and the free market to be responsible
> for the public safety.

I understand your point, but the government doesn't own oil companies
(actually I think it should) and it doesn't own meat packer plants and
it doesn't own or operate the airlines. Instead, we regulate them and
I don't see why we can't do the same thing with traffic controllers.

Providing a free traffic control system for the airline industry
strikes me as being yet another form of corporate welfare. I,
personally, have only flown about 8-10 times in my entire life. I have
some relatives that have probably never been on an airplane and some
relatives that have probably only flown a couple of times in their
life. They have all paid taxes, of course, for their entire life, yet
they pay for a service that they rarely or ever use.

wiljan

On Sat, 27 Apr 2013 15:19:07, Islander <nospam@priracy.net> wrote:

> On 4/26/2013 4:31 PM, mg wrote:
> > How come the government has to pay for air traffic controllers,
> > anyway? How come they can't privatize that and have the airlines pay
> > for it?
>
> For the same reason that we don't want oil companies to define what is
> safe for oil field development, safety, and transportation. Or if you
> don't like that example, for the same reason that we don't want meat
> packers to define what is safe for consumers.
>
> We don't trust private enterprise and the free market to be responsible
> for the public safety.

The government shall rightly supply such oversight. The cost
must be born by only those that benefit from such oversight.
The same is true for the even more expensive TSA.
The airlines, the passengers, and the insurance companies,
that pay for planes flying into things. Only they do benefit.

Islander

On 4/27/2013 10:32 AM, mg wrote:
> On Apr 27, 9:19 am, Islander <nos...@priracy.net> wrote:
>> On 4/26/2013 4:31 PM, mg wrote:
>>
>>> How come the government has to pay for air traffic controllers,
>>> anyway? How come they can't privatize that and have the airlines pay
>>> for it?
>>
>> For the same reason that we don't want oil companies to define what is
>> safe for oil field development, safety, and transportation. Or if you
>> don't like that example, for the same reason that we don't want meat
>> packers to define what is safe for consumers.
>>
>> We don't trust private enterprise and the free market to be responsible
>> for the public safety.
>
> I understand your point, but the government doesn't own oil companies
> (actually I think it should) and it doesn't own meat packer plants and
> it doesn't own or operate the airlines. Instead, we regulate them and
> I don't see why we can't do the same thing with traffic controllers.
>
> Providing a free traffic control system for the airline industry
> strikes me as being yet another form of corporate welfare. I,
> personally, have only flown about 8-10 times in my entire life. I have
> some relatives that have probably never been on an airplane and some
> relatives that have probably only flown a couple of times in their
> life. They have all paid taxes, of course, for their entire life, yet
> they pay for a service that they rarely or ever use.

We all benefit from the airline industry, even if we don't individually
use the service directly. It is part of the infrastructure that is
necessary for the operation of our society.

I am skeptical of the belief that only those who benefit from specific
services should pay. It is often not that simple.

mg

On Apr 27, 3:12 pm, Islander <nos...@priracy.net> wrote:
> On 4/27/2013 10:32 AM, mg wrote:

> >> For the same reason that we don't want oil companies to define what is
> >> safe for oil field development, safety, and transportation.  Or if you
> >> don't like that example, for the same reason that we don't want meat
> >> packers to define what is safe for consumers.
>
> >> We don't trust private enterprise and the free market to be responsible
> >> for the public safety.
>
> > I understand your point, but the government doesn't own oil companies
> > (actually I think it should) and it doesn't own meat packer plants and
> > it doesn't own or operate the airlines. Instead, we regulate them and
> > I don't see why we can't do the same thing with traffic controllers.
>
> > Providing a free traffic control system for the airline industry
> > strikes me as being yet another form of corporate welfare. I,
> > personally, have only flown about 8-10 times in my entire life. I have
> > some relatives that have probably never been on an airplane and some
> > relatives that have probably only flown a couple of times in their
> > life. They have all paid taxes, of course, for their entire life, yet
> > they pay for a service that they rarely or ever use.
>
> We all benefit from the airline industry, even if we don't individually
> use the service directly.  It is part of the infrastructure that is
> necessary for the operation of our society.
>
> I am skeptical of the belief that only those who benefit from specific
> services should pay.  It is often not that simple.

I certainly agree in the case of highways and bridges, for example,
and I am very much opposed to toll roads and bridges. I think a lot of
things simply come down to actual numbers, though, as opposed to
abstract ideology and philosophy. So, just hypothetically speaking,
where do you draw the line when the middle class and lower class are
paying for a service they rarely use?

Islander

On 4/27/2013 7:47 PM, mg wrote:
> On Apr 27, 3:12 pm, Islander <nos...@priracy.net> wrote:

>>> I understand your point, but the government doesn't own oil companies
>>> (actually I think it should) and it doesn't own meat packer plants and
>>> it doesn't own or operate the airlines. Instead, we regulate them and
>>> I don't see why we can't do the same thing with traffic controllers.
>>
>>> Providing a free traffic control system for the airline industry
>>> strikes me as being yet another form of corporate welfare. I,
>>> personally, have only flown about 8-10 times in my entire life. I have
>>> some relatives that have probably never been on an airplane and some
>>> relatives that have probably only flown a couple of times in their
>>> life. They have all paid taxes, of course, for their entire life, yet
>>> they pay for a service that they rarely or ever use.
>>
>> We all benefit from the airline industry, even if we don't individually
>> use the service directly. It is part of the infrastructure that is
>> necessary for the operation of our society.
>>
>> I am skeptical of the belief that only those who benefit from specific
>> services should pay. It is often not that simple.
>
> I certainly agree in the case of highways and bridges, for example,
> and I am very much opposed to toll roads and bridges. I think a lot of
> things simply come down to actual numbers, though, as opposed to
> abstract ideology and philosophy. So, just hypothetically speaking,
> where do you draw the line when the middle class and lower class are
> paying for a service they rarely use?

I don't think that I can generalize on that. Just last Friday, for
example, my wife and I joined several other couples at the Lower Tavern
for burgers and brew. The guy who was sitting next to me was going on
about how awful the airlines are now, crowded, one has to pay for
everything that you got with your ticket before, etc. and he was
concluding that they should just raise their prices. He was blaming the
poor service on the efforts of the airlines to accommodate everyone.

My response was, "How very elitist of you!" The reality is that if you
buy a first class ticket you get all those services, but he was so
intent on blaming the airlines for keeping their prices low that he
seemed to forget that he could elect to pay more for better service.

Now, the question I would pose to you is whether or not everyday
passengers should get free meals, free checked luggage, change in
reservation without penalty, etc.? Now, I did a lot of business travel
before I retired (as do about 40% of airline travelers today), so I
enjoyed those perks and would not have gotten reimbursed for them if
they were charged to me (I had a really cheap employer). I was
definitely in the middle class at the time. Should someone in my
situation have to pay for the perks today? Should the occasional
traveler who is going off on vacation have to pay for the perks? Or
should the airlines do everything that they can to keep costs low for
everyone?

mg

On Apr 28, 5:48 pm, Islander <nos...@priracy.net> wrote:
> On 4/27/2013 7:47 PM, mg wrote:

> >> We all benefit from the airline industry, even if we don't individually
> >> use the service directly.  It is part of the infrastructure that is
> >> necessary for the operation of our society.
>
> >> I am skeptical of the belief that only those who benefit from specific
> >> services should pay.  It is often not that simple.
>
> > I certainly agree in the case of highways and bridges, for example,
> > and I am very much opposed to toll roads and bridges. I think a lot of
> > things simply come down to actual numbers, though, as opposed to
> > abstract ideology and philosophy. So, just hypothetically speaking,
> > where do you draw the line when the middle class and lower class are
> > paying for a service they rarely use?
>
> I don't think that I can generalize on that.  Just last Friday, for
> example, my wife and I joined several other couples at the Lower Tavern
> for burgers and brew.  The guy who was sitting next to me was going on
> about how awful the airlines are now, crowded, one has to pay for
> everything that you got with your ticket before, etc. and he was
> concluding that they should just raise their prices.  He was blaming the
> poor service on the efforts of the airlines to accommodate everyone.
>
> My response was, "How very elitist of you!"  The reality is that if you
> buy a first class ticket you get all those services, but he was so
> intent on blaming the airlines for keeping their prices low that he
> seemed to forget that he could elect to pay more for better service.
>
> Now, the question I would pose to you is whether or not everyday
> passengers should get free meals, free checked luggage, change in
> reservation without penalty, etc.?  Now, I did a lot of business travel
> before I retired (as do about 40% of airline travelers today), so I
> enjoyed those perks and would not have gotten reimbursed for them if
> they were charged to me (I had a really cheap employer).  I was
> definitely in the middle class at the time.  Should someone in my
> situation have to pay for the perks today?  Should the occasional
> traveler who is going off on vacation have to pay for the perks?  Or
> should the airlines do everything that they can to keep costs low for
> everyone?

In theory, the laws of supply and demand in a free enterprise system
with vigorous competition should answer the question that you are
asking and thousands more -- actually, I think it would be correct to
say millions more. Companies have to make decisions all the time about
what level of service to provide and, in the case of products, what
level of quality their product should have.

We have some problems with our version of free enterprise -- should we
call it version 1.0? :-) One of the problems is that we really don't
see a lot of vigorous competition in our system. For small businesses,
I think we see a lot. For example, the gal that cuts my hair is a real
sweetheart who cuts my hair just right and knows exactly how to keep
an interesting conversation going with an old codger like me. In
addition, I get every other hair cut free. I pay for the regular hair
cut and then she calls me and tells me when it's time for a trim and
she does the trim for free.

When I say that is the problem with our version of free enterprise,
incidentally, I actually think it's undoubtedly a problem with every
country's version of free enterprise. That doesn't mean that free
enterprise is bad, of course, it just means that we shouldn't worship
it like some sort of golden calf and it means that it needs some
regulation. And that's where we, the people on the left, come in. We
do, however, need to be careful that we don't over do it.

In regard to the specific question that the guy you were sitting with
was asking, my response would be to ask him why he thinks his opinion
is important and why he thinks anyone else should be interested in it.
Either he believes in free enterprise and the laws of supply and
demand, and he believes that the airlines are operating under those
laws, or he doesn't. If he does believe that then why is he asking the
question when the answer is so obvious?

If, on the other hand, he doesn't believe that, then the question for
him is whether he believes the airlines need additional regulation and
whether he believes that those additional regulations should reach
down to the level of minutia that he is talking about.

rumpelstiltskin

On Sun, 28 Apr 2013 16:48:39 -0700, Islander <nospam@priracy.net>
<snip>

>Now, the question I would pose to you is whether or not everyday
>passengers should get free meals, free checked luggage, change in
>reservation without penalty, etc.? Now, I did a lot of business travel
>before I retired (as do about 40% of airline travelers today), so I
>enjoyed those perks and would not have gotten reimbursed for them if
>they were charged to me (I had a really cheap employer). I was
>definitely in the middle class at the time. Should someone in my
>situation have to pay for the perks today? Should the occasional
>traveler who is going off on vacation have to pay for the perks? Or
>should the airlines do everything that they can to keep costs low for
>everyone?

I've been flying Jet Blue lately, San Francisco to Boston
round-trip for $400. No meals, but plenty of seat space and
leg room, and all the room I ever need for luggage, which is
one normal-sized airline cloth-suitcase and one under-the-
seat backpack that I use as a carry-on bag. The backpack
and its contents nearly always fit inside my suitcase, so I
usually only have to schlep one bag to and from the airports.

Islander

On 4/28/2013 6:10 PM, mg wrote:
> [...]
> regulation. And that's where we, the people on the left, come in. We
> do, however, need to be careful that we don't over do it.
>
> In regard to the specific question that the guy you were sitting with
> was asking, my response would be to ask him why he thinks his opinion
> is important and why he thinks anyone else should be interested in it.
> Either he believes in free enterprise and the laws of supply and
> demand, and he believes that the airlines are operating under those
> laws, or he doesn't. If he does believe that then why is he asking the
> question when the answer is so obvious?
>
> If, on the other hand, he doesn't believe that, then the question for
> him is whether he believes the airlines need additional regulation and
> whether he believes that those additional regulations should reach
> down to the level of minutia that he is talking about.

I think that his frustration started with the air traffic controllers
relief from the Sequester and, lubricated with beer, morphed into a
classic case of playing "isn't it awful" and nostalgia for "the good old
days." At one point he lapsed into complaining about government
regulations causing bad service until I reminded him that the airline
industry was highly regulated during the period that he was being
nostalgic about! I also reminded him that the aviation-related unions
were much more powerful back then too!

But overall, I tend to agree with you about competition working well for
the consumer when there is actually competition. As I've related here
several times in the past, one of the first questions that the venture
capitalists ask before investing in a small company is, "How will you
avoid competition?" Kind of says it all!

Lately, I've come to the conclusion that there is an additional game
being played in the private sector. Large companies have the resources
to influence law and they are using it to their advantage to drive small
companies out of business. Two significant examples are the tax code
and regulations. No large companies pay the top marginal tax rate on
businesses. Instead, they use the many loopholes and expensive tax
lawyers to give them an effective lower tax rate. This is unfair to
small businesses that do not have the same resources. Secondly, large
companies are complicit in implementing regulations that are oppressive
for small companies, but not to themselves. Once again, economy of
scale applies. A large company can easily afford to comply with a
regulation while a small company cannot.

Islander

On 4/28/2013 8:27 PM, rumpelstiltskin wrote:
> On Sun, 28 Apr 2013 16:48:39 -0700, Islander <nospam@priracy.net>
> <snip>
>

>> Now, the question I would pose to you is whether or not everyday
>> passengers should get free meals, free checked luggage, change in
>> reservation without penalty, etc.? Now, I did a lot of business travel
>> before I retired (as do about 40% of airline travelers today), so I
>> enjoyed those perks and would not have gotten reimbursed for them if
>> they were charged to me (I had a really cheap employer). I was
>> definitely in the middle class at the time. Should someone in my
>> situation have to pay for the perks today? Should the occasional
>> traveler who is going off on vacation have to pay for the perks? Or
>> should the airlines do everything that they can to keep costs low for
>> everyone?
>

> I've been flying Jet Blue lately, San Francisco to Boston
> round-trip for $400. No meals, but plenty of seat space and
> leg room, and all the room I ever need for luggage, which is
> one normal-sized airline cloth-suitcase and one under-the-
> seat backpack that I use as a carry-on bag. The backpack
> and its contents nearly always fit inside my suitcase, so I
> usually only have to schlep one bag to and from the airports.

Back when I was a frequent flier, I could subsist for a couple of weeks
on the road out of one carry-on. I used to enjoy backpacking and
employed the same discipline to flying - lightweight items that worked
together. For example, I owned a Goretex raincoat with a hood that
served to not only protect me from the rain, but also served as a
wind-breaker. I carried a small ditty bag that contained sample-size
toiletries and even a miniature first aid kit. My shoes were
water-proof. I even had a blue suit that with the addition of grey
pants could easily dress down to something less formal. For
communications, I carried a keyboard with built-in modem that I could
connect to the hotel TV as a display. I would have had a ball with
today's miniature electronics!

At one point I considered starting a company called "TravelLite" for
business travelers, but someone beat me to it.

rumpelstiltskin

On Mon, 29 Apr 2013 09:37:45 -0700, Islander <nospam@priracy.net>
<snip>

>Back when I was a frequent flier, I could subsist for a couple of weeks
>on the road out of one carry-on. I used to enjoy backpacking and
>employed the same discipline to flying - lightweight items that worked
>together. For example, I owned a Goretex raincoat with a hood that
>served to not only protect me from the rain, but also served as a
>wind-breaker. I carried a small ditty bag that contained sample-size
>toiletries and even a miniature first aid kit. My shoes were
>water-proof. I even had a blue suit that with the addition of grey
>pants could easily dress down to something less formal. For
>communications, I carried a keyboard with built-in modem that I could
>connect to the hotel TV as a display. I would have had a ball with
>today's miniature electronics!
>
>At one point I considered starting a company called "TravelLite" for
>business travelers, but someone beat me to it.

In 1972 I bummed around Northern Europe for nine months,
with just what I could carry on my back. That didn't include
a tent but it did include an air-mattress and bedding. That
air mattress lasted me the whole time. It was obviously
much better quality than I've found since. The last couple
of air mattresses I bought only lasted a couple of inflations,
but the one I had in Europe probably cost more in 1972
dollars than the crappy ones I bought more recently in more
modern dollars.