Which Ruby book to read?

Human Dunnil

3/10/2007 10:22:00 PM

Hello,

I'm going to re-read a book (just one book at the moment!) about Ruby
to sharpen me knowledge, what do you guys recommend?

Programming Ruby (PragProg)
Ruby for Rails (Manning)
The Ruby Way (Addison Wesley)

Or another book?!?

I know Ruby, but seems I forgot some advanced details so I like to
read a Ruby book again.

Which one guys?

Thanks a lot,
- Dunnil

14 Answers

Tomas Pospisek

Human Dunnil

You mean: http://www.poignantguide... ?

> On Sun, 11 Mar 2007, Human Dunnil wrote:
>
> > I'm going to re-read a book (just one book at the moment!) about Ruby
> > to sharpen me knowledge, what do you guys recommend?
> >
> > Programming Ruby (PragProg)
> > Ruby for Rails (Manning)
> > The Ruby Way (Addison Wesley)
>
> I'd suggest _why's mad ways? It'll sure help with the...
>
> > I know Ruby, but seems I forgot some advanced details so I like to
> > read a Ruby book again.
>
> ...advanced details.
> *t

> Tomas Pospisek
> http://sour... - Linux & Open Source Solutions

Tomas Pospisek

Chris Carter

On 3/10/07, Human Dunnil <h.dunnil@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm going to re-read a book (just one book at the moment!) about Ruby
> to sharpen me knowledge, what do you guys recommend?
>
> Programming Ruby (PragProg)
> Ruby for Rails (Manning)
> The Ruby Way (Addison Wesley)
>
> Or another book?!?
>
> I know Ruby, but seems I forgot some advanced details so I like to
> read a Ruby book again.
>
> Which one guys?
>
> Thanks a lot,
> - Dunnil

The second edition of The Ruby Way is probably teh most useful ruby book I own.

--
Chris Carter
concentrationstudios.com

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky

Human Dunnil wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm going to re-read a book (just one book at the moment!) about Ruby
> to sharpen me knowledge, what do you guys recommend?
>
> Programming Ruby (PragProg)
> Ruby for Rails (Manning)
> The Ruby Way (Addison Wesley)
>
> Or another book?!?
>
> I know Ruby, but seems I forgot some advanced details so I like to
> read a Ruby book again.
>
> Which one guys?
>
> Thanks a lot,
> - Dunnil

Well ... the broadest of the three in terms of useful knowledge you may
not have is the second edition of "The Ruby Way". So that's the way I'd
go. It's also the newest of the three, so it has the benefit of some
things the other two don't. "The Ruby Way, 2nd Edition" has a couple of
other things going for it:

1. A fairly complete comparison of the major Ruby GUIs. That's got to be
the most frequently-asked question here.
2. About the only usable documentation on web app frameworks *other*
than Rails, like Nitro.
3. As many "recipes" and "snippets" as most of the "cookbooks" have.

http://borasky-research.blo...

Dave Heil

On 3/3/2011 06 51, Ray Fischer wrote:
> Dave Heil<k8mn@frontiernet.net> wrote:

>>> A 25 cent bullet will prove you wrong.
>
> No response.
>
> No surprise.

>>> You're the one imagining that an invisible sky pixie is protecting
>>> your rights.
>>
>> I believe in God and in Jesus Christ.
>
> Did you notice that the Bible is in direct opposition to most of the
> Bill of Rights? That the Bible does not recognize the existence of
> rights?
>
> Did you notice that slaveowners routinely used the Bible to justify
> the ownership of human beings?
>
>> I don't believe in any "sky
>> pixie."
>
> "Invisible sky pixie"

>>> LOL! Like the assumption that there some sky pixie is protecting your
>>> rights?
>>
>> Men were created free.
>
> Can you do anything more intelligent than vomit stock phrases that
> you don't even understand?

Sure thing, Wrong Ray, we can enter the big tango contest at the county
fair. I can make birdhouses. copy Morse at 40+ wpm, beat Watson at
Jeopardy! and, unlike you, I can read without moving my lips.

Dave Heil

On 3/3/2011 06 52, Ray Fischer wrote:
> Dave Heil<k8mn@frontiernet.net> wrote:
>> On 3/2/2011 15 11, Yoorghis@Jurgis.net wrote:
>>> On Wed, 02 Mar 2011 06:01:44 +0000, Dave Heil<k8mn@frontiernet.net>
>>>
>>> Read "the Age of Reason" by a "founder" that GREATLY influenced those
>>> signators, DaveyLoon
>>
>> I've read the Bible which even more GREATLY influenced them.
>
> So you believe that people should be executed for working on Sundays?

I do? Where have I stated that?

China Blue Veins

In article <VjKbp.6552$5r5.5596@newsfe02.iad>, Dave Heil <k8mn@frontiernet.net>
wrote:

> On 3/3/2011 06 52, Ray Fischer wrote:
> > Dave Heil<k8mn@frontiernet.net> wrote:

> >> I've read the Bible which even more GREATLY influenced them.
> >
> > So you believe that people should be executed for working on Sundays?
>
> I do? Where have I stated that?

Either you follow the Law of Moses or you don't.

--
Damn the living - It's a lovely life. I'm whoever you want me to be.
Silver silverware - Where is the love? At least I can stay in character.

Sid9

"Dave Heil" wrote in message news:MiKbp.6551$5r5.377@newsfe02.iad...

On 3/3/2011 06 51, Ray Fischer wrote:
> Dave Heil<k8mn@frontiernet.net> wrote:

>>> A 25 cent bullet will prove you wrong.
>
> No response.
>
> No surprise.

>>> You're the one imagining that an invisible sky pixie is protecting
>>> your rights.
>>
>> I believe in God and in Jesus Christ.
>
> Did you notice that the Bible is in direct opposition to most of the
> Bill of Rights? That the Bible does not recognize the existence of
> rights?
>
> Did you notice that slaveowners routinely used the Bible to justify
> the ownership of human beings?
>
>> I don't believe in any "sky
>> pixie."
>
> "Invisible sky pixie"

>>> LOL! Like the assumption that there some sky pixie is protecting your
>>> rights?
>>
>> Men were created free.
>
> Can you do anything more intelligent than vomit stock phrases that
> you don't even understand?

Sure thing, Wrong Ray, we can enter the big tango contest at the county
fair. I can make birdhouses. copy Morse at 40+ wpm, beat Watson at
Jeopardy! and, unlike you, I can read without moving my lips.
.
.
.
===============================
sid9 sez:

Copy Morse at 40 wpm?

Is there any other claim that you might make that points the obsolescence of
your thinking in the 21st Century?

Perhaps you think incandescent lamps are an up and coming technology
=================================
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++_

Yoorghis

On Thu, 03 Mar 2011 05:21:29 +0000, Dave Heil <k8mn@frontiernet.net>
wrote:

>On 3/2/2011 15 11, Yoorghis@Jurgis.net wrote:

>>> I believe in God and in Jesus Christ.
>>
>> Yet every post where you defend and support conservatism which
>> exhibits some of the most anti-christian belief and policy--you show
>> what a bigot and hypocrite you are.
>
>No, Yaougritz, yorr words are false

Name anything done Since your great drooler was in power that you
openly criticized.

On Fri, 18 Sep 2009 16:32:34 -0700 (PDT), Kurtis T. Nicklas of
1293 Westbrook Ave, Elon, NC 27244-9372"

<nickl...@bellsouth.net> wrote in message

>I don't pay much attention to him these days, but I'd wager he's not
>happy.

You sure as shit paid attention when you got caught
making all those late-night hang-up phone calls, didn't
ya, Nickkkkers?

CLICK ! ! !