Re: the name of Matz

Yukihiro Matsumoto

In message "Re: the name of Matz"
on Sat, 10 Mar 2007 12:08:22 +0900, Suraj Kurapati <snk@gna.org> writes:

|Finally, it is said that the order of vowels in the Japanese alphabet
|system is derived from that of Sanskrit. For instance, listed below are
|the vowels from the South Indian Telugu language (the same vowels are
|found in nearly all other Indian languages in exactly the same order).
|The starred (*) vowels are found in Japanese (a i u e o).

Wow, I didn't know that. Thank you for information.

matz.

6 Answers

Rick DeNatale

On 3/10/07, Yukihiro Matsumoto <matz@ruby-lang.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In message "Re: the name of Matz"
> on Sat, 10 Mar 2007 12:08:22 +0900, Suraj Kurapati <snk@gna.org> writes:
>
> |Finally, it is said that the order of vowels in the Japanese alphabet
> |system is derived from that of Sanskrit. For instance, listed below are
> |the vowels from the South Indian Telugu language (the same vowels are
> |found in nearly all other Indian languages in exactly the same order).
> |The starred (*) vowels are found in Japanese (a i u e o).
>
> Wow, I didn't know that. Thank you for information.

I've also heard that there are certain linguistic similarities which
indicate that Japanese and Finnish are close relatives, not that I
know what those are or have any clue why it might be so.

--
Rick DeNatale

My blog on Ruby
http://talklikeaduck.denh...

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky

Rick DeNatale wrote:
> On 3/10/07, Yukihiro Matsumoto <matz@ruby-lang.org> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> In message "Re: the name of Matz"
>> on Sat, 10 Mar 2007 12:08:22 +0900, Suraj Kurapati <snk@gna.org>
>> writes:
>>
>> |Finally, it is said that the order of vowels in the Japanese alphabet
>> |system is derived from that of Sanskrit. For instance, listed below are
>> |the vowels from the South Indian Telugu language (the same vowels are
>> |found in nearly all other Indian languages in exactly the same order).
>> |The starred (*) vowels are found in Japanese (a i u e o).
>>
>> Wow, I didn't know that. Thank you for information.
>>

> I've also heard that there are certain linguistic similarities which
> indicate that Japanese and Finnish are close relatives, not that I
> know what those are or have any clue why it might be so.

Yes, the world is a *very* interesting place indeed when you subtract
out the Indo-European languages, Chinese, and the Semitic languages
(Hebrew and Arabic). :)

http://borasky-research.blo...

Robert Dober

On 3/10/07, Rick DeNatale <rick.denatale@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 3/10/07, Yukihiro Matsumoto <matz@ruby-lang.org> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > In message "Re: the name of Matz"
> > on Sat, 10 Mar 2007 12:08:22 +0900, Suraj Kurapati <snk@gna.org> writes:
> >
> > |Finally, it is said that the order of vowels in the Japanese alphabet
> > |system is derived from that of Sanskrit. For instance, listed below are
> > |the vowels from the South Indian Telugu language (the same vowels are
> > |found in nearly all other Indian languages in exactly the same order).
> > |The starred (*) vowels are found in Japanese (a i u e o).
> >
> > Wow, I didn't know that. Thank you for information.
> >

> I've also heard that there are certain linguistic similarities which
> indicate that Japanese and Finnish are close relatives, not that I
> know what those are or have any clue why it might be so.
I would take this information with care,
Finnish and Hungarian for that matter are very difficult to categorize
and therefore sometimes put together with other languages. FWIK they
are still pretty far apart, nothing like e.g. French and Italian.

Cheers
Robert

> --
> Rick DeNatale
>
> My blog on Ruby
> http://talklikeaduck.denh...

-Anonymous

John Joyce

On Mar 11, 2007, at 5:15 AM, Rick DeNatale wrote:

> I've also heard that there are certain linguistic similarities which
> indicate that Japanese and Finnish are close relatives, not that I
> know what those are or have any clue why it might be so.

No, there are none. Japanese has a strong relation to Korean. Both
have a relation to Mongolian.
As for written ordering, it only indicates some exchange of ideas
probably indirectly through religious texts. writing was borrowed
from China and phonetic characters were developed later as simplified
caligraphic forms of Chinese characters.

Rick DeNatale

On 3/11/07, John Joyce <dangerwillrobinsondanger@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mar 11, 2007, at 5:15 AM, Rick DeNatale wrote:
> >
> > I've also heard that there are certain linguistic similarities which
> > indicate that Japanese and Finnish are close relatives, not that I
> > know what those are or have any clue why it might be so.
>
> No, there are none. Japanese has a strong relation to Korean. Both
> have a relation to Mongolian.

Well it appears that there are at least some linquists who beleive
that there may be a relationship between Finnish and Japanese,
although not as close as I implied.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ural-Altaic...

Describes a (controversial) theory that they are related by a common
extinct ancestor language.

Ural-Altaic
Ural
Finno-Permic
Finnish
Altaic
Mongolic
Mongolian
Japonic
Japanese,
Korean

Which would make Finnish and Japanese second cousins.

There are actually two levels of controversy in these theories. One
is whether or not there really was a prototypical Ural-Altaic which
was a common ancestor of the Ural and Altaic families. Second is
whether or not the Japonic family (which includes Japanese, Okinawan,
and some others I haven't heard of), and Korean which forms it's own
family, should really be considered members of the Altaic family.

--
Rick DeNatale

My blog on Ruby
http://talklikeaduck.denh...

Robert Dober

On 3/11/07, Rick DeNatale <rick.denatale@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 3/11/07, John Joyce <dangerwillrobinsondanger@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Mar 11, 2007, at 5:15 AM, Rick DeNatale wrote:
> > >
> > > I've also heard that there are certain linguistic similarities which
> > > indicate that Japanese and Finnish are close relatives, not that I
> > > know what those are or have any clue why it might be so.
> >
> > No, there are none. Japanese has a strong relation to Korean. Both
> > have a relation to Mongolian.
>
> Well it appears that there are at least some linquists who beleive
> that there may be a relationship between Finnish and Japanese,
> although not as close as I implied.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ural-Altaic...
>
> Describes a (controversial) theory that they are related by a common
> extinct ancestor language.
Interesting stuff Rick

> Ural-Altaic
> Ural
> Finno-Permic
> Finnish
> Altaic
> Mongolic
> Mongolian
> Japonic
> Japanese,
> Korean
>
> Which would make Finnish and Japanese second cousins.
Is this list complete? I am missing Hungarian who is a far relative of Finnish.

> There are actually two levels of controversy in these theories. One
> is whether or not there really was a prototypical Ural-Altaic which
> was a common ancestor of the Ural and Altaic families. Second is
> whether or not the Japonic family (which includes Japanese, Okinawan,
> and some others I haven't heard of), and Korean which forms it's own
> family, should really be considered members of the Altaic family.
>

> --
> Rick DeNatale
>
> My blog on Ruby
> http://talklikeaduck.denh...