GUI With Ruby

Yannick Grams

3/10/2007 1:42:00 AM

Just a quick question: I'm sick of using Command Prompt for my little
Ruby programs, and I was wondering what can get me started? I know that
I can use Tk, but that isn't very well documented in the Pickaxe.
Thanks!

Yannick Grams

Thanks a lot for the hints! I'll give Tk a bit of a try first up.

Yannick Grams

Forgive the double-post, but I was just wondering if there was a Ruby/Tk
book. If not, does anyone know of plans for one?

Lyle Johnson

On 3/9/07, Yannick Grams <yannick_grams@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Just a quick question: I'm sick of using Command Prompt for my little
> Ruby programs, and I was wondering what can get me started? I know that
> I can use Tk, but that isn't very well documented in the Pickaxe.
> Thanks!

You might also want to take a look at FXRuby:

http://www.f...

Hope this helps,

Lyle

Yannick Grams

FXRuby looks very interesting: any chance of there being an FXRuby book?

Lyle Johnson

On 3/9/07, Yannick Grams <yannick_grams@hotmail.com> wrote:

> FXRuby looks very interesting: any chance of there being an FXRuby book?

Possibly someday, but not in the immediate future. For the time being,
you'd need to rely on the various online documentation sources at the
FOX home page:

http://www.fox-to...

and the FXRuby home page:

http://www.f...

There's also some coverage of FXRuby in Hal Fulton's book "The Ruby
Way." (This is a good book to own even if you aren't interested in
FXRuby!)

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky

Yannick Grams wrote:
> Just a quick question: I'm sick of using Command Prompt for my little
> Ruby programs, and I was wondering what can get me started? I know that
> I can use Tk, but that isn't very well documented in the Pickaxe.
> Thanks!

In my humble opinion, QtRuby is by a wide margin the best documented
Ruby GUI. In addition to Caleb Tennis' book directly concerning QtRuby,
all of the cool Qt gizmos, like Kommander and Korundum, QTDesigner and
all of the Qt documentation itself are available.

http://borasky-research.blo...

David and Sharon Phillips

On 10/03/2007, at 1:22 PM, Yannick Grams wrote:

> FXRuby looks very interesting: any chance of there being an FXRuby
> book?

There's a qtRuby book available (PDF, for US$8.50)
http://www.pragmaticprogrammer.com/titles...

Is anyone able to give a quick rundown on which of these toolkits
will work on both Windows and OS X?
It's not that clear from a number of the sites which platforms they
will work on. Some (like qt) seem Linux only. I don't use Linux
<ducks> but a mix os Win and OS X.

Cheers,
Dave

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky

Sharon Phillips wrote:

> On 10/03/2007, at 1:22 PM, Yannick Grams wrote:
>
>> FXRuby looks very interesting: any chance of there being an FXRuby book?
>
> There's a qtRuby book available (PDF, for US$8.50)
> http://www.pragmaticprogrammer.com/titles...
>
> Is anyone able to give a quick rundown on which of these toolkits will
> work on both Windows and OS X?
> It's not that clear from a number of the sites which platforms they
> will work on. Some (like qt) seem Linux only. I don't use Linux
> <ducks> but a mix os Win and OS X.
>
> Cheers,
> Dave

Qt 4 Ruby works on Windows and Linux for sure. I don't know about Macs,
though. I think most Mac users prefer native Mac GUIs anyhow, and there
is one for Ruby that has a very good reputation. I don't have a Mac, so
I've forgotten the name.

http://borasky-research.blo...

warhero

for macs you can use RubyCocoa.

David and Sharon Phillips

On 10/03/2007, at 3:56 PM, Aaron Smith wrote:

> for macs you can use RubyCocoa.

Thanks, just playing with it now. I like the idea of using interface
builder for building a gui, but I'm not that familiar with XCode -
I've worked my way through the example currency converter, that's
all :-)