OptionParser patch

Tom Pollard

I wanted to submit a patch for optparse.rb to make it easier to add
general text to the usage summary. There were three things I wanted
to change:

1. Fix OptionParser#separator so that it correctly handles strings
containing newlines.
2. Introduce 'text' as and alias for the 'separator' method, since
the latter doesn't sound appropriate for adding a paragraph of text
at a time.
3. Add a 'bottom_text' method, which would force the text to appear
after the option summary.

Before I submitted this, I thought I'd ask for comments, or
additional suggestions.

Thanks,

Tom

2 Answers

Tomas Pospisek

Tom Pollard

On Mar 9, 2007, at 5:25 PM, Tomas Pospisek's Mailing Lists wrote:
>> 1. Fix OptionParser#separator so that it correctly handles strings
>> containing
>> newlines.
>> 2. Introduce 'text' as and alias for the 'separator' method, since
>> the latter
>> doesn't sound appropriate for adding a paragraph of text at a
>> time.
>> 3. Add a 'bottom_text' method, which would force the text to
>> appear after the
>> option summary.
>>
>> Before I submitted this, I thought I'd ask for comments, or
>> additional suggestions.
>
> I only comment on the last item, since I don't know OptionParser
> enough. #3 sounds really useful to me.
> *t

Thanks.

I've submitted it now (my first patch to a core lib). I'm interested
to see what happens.

Tom