Re: Perl 6 (Was: Boy I love the Ruby community

Avdi Grimm

3/5/2007 3:34:00 PM

To me the most interesting thing about Perl 6, should it ever be
released, is that (AFAIK) it has built-in support for swapping in new
parsers at runtime. This has intriguing implications for DSLs.

--
Avdi

26 Answers

Daniel Berger

On Mar 5, 8:33 am, "Avdi Grimm" <a...@avdi.org> wrote:
> To me the most interesting thing about Perl 6, should it ever be
> released, is that (AFAIK) it has built-in support for swapping in new
> parsers at runtime. This has intriguing implications for DSLs.

Good luck with maintenance.

Dan

Robert Dober

On 3/5/07, Avdi Grimm <avdi@avdi.org> wrote:
> To me the most interesting thing about Perl 6, should it ever be
> released, is that (AFAIK) it has built-in support for swapping in new
> parsers at runtime. This has intriguing implications for DSLs.

Oh yes but there are many many others. Maybe too many :(
It immediately struck me when I read the Apocalypsis that writting
Perl6 code will be fun...
.... and reading Perl6 code written by others might just be hell.
Robert
> --
> Avdi

-Anonymous

Avdi Grimm

On 3/5/07, Daniel Berger <djberg96@gmail.com> wrote:
> Good luck with maintenance.

Perl? Maintenance? That's crazy-talk!

--
Avdi

Robert Dober

On 3/5/07, Avdi Grimm <avdi@avdi.org> wrote:
> On 3/5/07, Daniel Berger <djberg96@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Good luck with maintenance.
>
> Perl? Maintenance? That's crazy-talk!
>
> --
> Avdi

Write everywhere, use once!

Now that is mean but I could not resist, sorry folks.

-Anonymous

Martin DeMello

On 3/6/07, Jason Roelofs <jameskilton@gmail.com> wrote:
> Maybe when Perl 6 comes out, a yearly Perl Readability Contest will start,
> being of course the challenge to write the most readable Perl code!

I hear its major ecological niche will be as a scripting language for
Duke Nukem Forever

martin

Chad Perrin

On Tue, Mar 06, 2007 at 04:56:10AM +0900, Martin DeMello wrote:
> On 3/6/07, Jason Roelofs <jameskilton@gmail.com> wrote:
> >Maybe when Perl 6 comes out, a yearly Perl Readability Contest will start,
> >being of course the challenge to write the most readable Perl code!
>
> I hear its major ecological niche will be as a scripting language for
> Duke Nukem Forever

No, that's Arc.

--
CCD CopyWrite Chad Perrin [ http://ccd.ap... ]
Ben Franklin: "As we enjoy great Advantages from the Inventions of

Avdi Grimm

On 3/5/07, Chad Perrin <perrin@apotheon.com> wrote:
> No, that's Arc.

You can't rush Art.

--
Avdi

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky

Chad Perrin wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 06, 2007 at 04:56:10AM +0900, Martin DeMello wrote:
>
>> On 3/6/07, Jason Roelofs <jameskilton@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Maybe when Perl 6 comes out, a yearly Perl Readability Contest will start,
>>> being of course the challenge to write the most readable Perl code!
>>>
>> I hear its major ecological niche will be as a scripting language for
>> Duke Nukem Forever
>>

> No, that's Arc.

No, Arc's niche is that it will be the only language that's *never*
released. :)

http://borasky-research.blo...

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky

Avdi Grimm wrote:
> On 3/5/07, Chad Perrin <perrin@apotheon.com> wrote:
>> No, that's Arc.
>
> You can't rush Art.

Art? I thought his name was Paul.

http://borasky-research.blo...

Chad Perrin

On Tue, Mar 06, 2007 at 11:46:55AM +0900, M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:
> Chad Perrin wrote:

> >>I hear its major ecological niche will be as a scripting language for
> >>Duke Nukem Forever
> >>

> >No, that's Arc.
> >

> No, Arc's niche is that it will be the only language that's *never*
> released. :)

. . and you think Duke Nukem Forever *will* be released? I'd think
the name -- Forever -- would be a clue.

--
CCD CopyWrite Chad Perrin [ http://ccd.ap... ]
"The measure on a man's real character is what he would do